Faster Way to Remove Substrate?

Okay, so I know there is already a thread somewhere, explaining ideas of how to safely remove substrate. I am currently trying to switch my tank to bare-bottom, because I have had way to many rocks-stuck-in-mouths to feel comfortable with the gravel.

My problem is that I've only been taking out a cup and a half every water change to avoid any bumps in the cycle, and it's taking forever. (But my water quality has stayed good! haha :teehee )

Anyway, I am patient about this, but my babies keep putting the dang rocks in their mouths :madrant and I want to find the quickest way to be able to get this gravel out of my tank. I wish I would've been more educated when I started the tank up.

So if you have any suggestions on a quicker method of switching PLEASE let me know. :) I was considering buying some of that start up bacteria from the store and doing a 50% water change to take it all out, and add that stuff in. I've never used that stuff though, so I don't know if it is even a quality product.

You can take out a cup every day, or just bite the bullet and taking it all out and deal with a possible cycle bump. You may not actually get a cycle bump, but we won't know until you've done it, unfortunately.

Those cycling products are somewhat hit and miss.

You can take it all out at once, just make sure you test the water daily for at least a week after you do it. I just switched substrate and got a pretty significant cycle bump. If you are willing to test and do extra (possibly daily) water changes for a few weeks there is no need to wait, take it all out ;)

I'd skip the bacteria in a bottle. If your tank is cycled the bump shouldn't last long. About a week in my experience, but every tank is different.

EDIT: posted at the same time as alex :P

Okay! Thanks. My tank has been cycled and running for at least 6 months by now, so it shouldn't last too long. I just always like to check with the lovely people on koko's before doing anything with my tank. :D

Just to say I upgraded to a big tank with fresh new sand and just swapped over the filters.. never had a cycle bump so I guess its how much BB you have in the filters

yeah, it's interesting because I have changed out all the substrate at once before and didn't get a bump but this time I did :idont and I didn't remember to take my own advice and test until days later when nitrites were already 1ppm

I think each tank is different based on the different experiences people have had. I removed half of mine one day and then the other half about 4 days later and didn't have a cycle bump. I thought for sure I would get a bump as I didn't think about it until after I did it but not a thing.

Also, I found slowly pushing it into a pile and then into a small colander worked really well, kept the water in while I removed the substrate. Usually my fish are totally in my way but for some reason while I was taking out or adding back in a different substrate, they totally stayed out of my way :) Guess they didn't like it.

Edited by CindiL