I have the aqueon water changer and was wondering what you guys recommend for compatible pump... and how to use it for faster water changes. I just moved to an apartment, and the water pressure isn't so great.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/EcoPlus-728305-Submersible-Pump-290GPH/dp/B0012UZYMG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377961890&sr=8-2&keywords=eco+pond+pump

I have used it every week for about a year now. It comes with a bunch of different hose attachments and I just attach an rv drinking water hose to it. I have to pump up from the ground about 4feet to the tank and it has a nice flow. Not too strong, not too week. I'd say it does 25g into the tank in about 10-15minutes, I have never timed it.

Either of these pumps you should be able to reverse also and put in your tank. I know the company that makes mine sells a sock that goes over it to keep debris out or you can put a nylon over it etc.

Edit: Also, regarding draining, have you tried getting your siphon going, unscrewing it once it starts and the putting it lower, like into a bathtub? This is what I used to do because my water pressure wasn't great at my sinks and I didn't want to leave the water running. It great improves the siphoning speed.

Edited by CindiL

I think she wants one to go into the tank.

Any of these submersible ones can be used to either get the water out or put the water back in :)

Depending on their intake size and/or type of substrate in the tank you can cover it with a mesh bag or nylon stocking.

I think she wants one to go into the tank.

Any of these submersible ones can be used to either get the water out or put the water back in :)

Depending on their intake size and/or type of substrate in the tank you can cover it with a mesh bag or nylon stocking.

This is a good tip. I find that it's not necessary in my tank/tanks, and I had sand. Very little got sucked up.

Deep blue triton 5

It's like 50-60 bucks on kens fish

Will probably take like 3 minutes to drain your tank

Pumping water out too fast isn't necessarily a good thing, though.

Harbor Freight is the way to go -- super cheap and very reliable. There's no reason to put a sock on one. They come with A prefilter that will collect gunk, and the flow is gentler than your HOB.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/EcoPlus-728305-Submersible-Pump-290GPH/dp/B0012UZYMG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377961890&sr=8-2&keywords=eco+pond+pump

I have used it every week for about a year now. It comes with a bunch of different hose attachments and I just attach an rv drinking water hose to it. I have to pump up from the ground about 4feet to the tank and it has a nice flow. Not too strong, not too week. I'd say it does 25g into the tank in about 10-15minutes, I have never timed it.

Either of these pumps you should be able to reverse also and put in your tank. I know the company that makes mine sells a sock that goes over it to keep debris out or you can put a nylon over it etc.

Edit: Also, regarding draining, have you tried getting your siphon going, unscrewing it once it starts and the putting it lower, like into a bathtub? This is what I used to do because my water pressure wasn't great at my sinks and I didn't want to leave the water running. It great improves the siphoning speed.

I have this one too. It works great. :)

I think I'm most interested in these two. To pump water out and into a high sink, do the pumps go into the tank? Also, I have pea gravel. Does that need a sock? Will the pump fit my aqueon hose, or will I need to retrofit with something?

Thanks for the input so far, guys! I'd be so lost without you all.

Edited by soupmonster

Wow great price on the pump.

Question, do people who use these pumps not clean their gravel or what?

I use my Aqueon gravel vac thing and just use it as a syphon to send the water right out the patio door. No wasted water.

I use a siphon and hose to drain so I definitely clean my substrate. I just pump in but maybe sand or barebottom you could just use the pump.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I use my Aqueon gravel vac thing and just use it as a syphon to send the water right out the patio door. No wasted water.

I use a hand vac when I need to, but I don't have gravel to vacuum. Sand doesn't need vacuuming like gravel does. :)

I have this one too. It works great. :)

I think I'm most interested in these two. To pump water out and into a high sink, do the pumps go into the tank? Also, I have pea gravel. Does that need a sock? Will the pump fit my aqueon hose, or will I need to retrofit with something?

Thanks for the input so far, guys! I'd be so lost without you all.

The pump comes with several adapters. I stick my Aqueon hose on it. :)

My aqueon hose fits on one of the adapters that came with the one I have too. I think they're both good pumps, hard to go wrong. The Harbor Freight one is cheaper by a few bucks but has 6.99 shipping, the Amazon one is a few bucks more but has free shipping so they end up costing almost the same, only a $3.00 difference.

Maybe read the reviews and see if you're compelled one way or another ;)

You might want to hand siphon out a couple gallons to clean your substrate before or during emptying the tank with the pump. You shouldn't need a cover for over the pump with pea sized gravel.

Edited by CindiL

I really like your topic. I have the aqueon water changer also. I think it takes me about 90 min. to do two huge wc. A 60g and 34g. I feel like it takes f o r e v e r.

I'd like to suggest if it's okay for those that have posted....Can you please post a video of your setup. How it's connected to the sink and draining out of your tank. The video just needs to be the beginning and the ending. Like a minute or so. I'd love to see a visual. P l e a s e :)

I don't know if you would want to see my way or not....

I drain mine with a regular (medium) bulb primed siphon and 1/2" hose into the bathtub but I could video tape pumping back in? if that would help?

I used to drain with my aqueon, same idea but extra work getting the siphon started with the sink and then i would unscrew it and move it to the bathtub either way for a faster (because lower) drain. I don't want it to drain too fast because while its draining I wipe down the walls and clean the substrate, by the time I've done that, I've drained about 65% which is my normal weekly water change.

I will be doing a water change tomorrow if you're interested though I don't pump from the sink, I pump from a bin because I have to age and heat my water due to ph and temperature differences in my well. It would be the same idea filling up a sink, letting the water run and pumping in if your sink faucet can keep up, mine used to be close, but it would work.

So many variables.

I really like your topic. I have the aqueon water changer also. I think it takes me about 90 min. to do two huge wc. A 60g and 34g. I feel like it takes f o r e v e r.

I'd like to suggest if it's okay for those that have posted....Can you please post a video of your setup. How it's connected to the sink and draining out of your tank. The video just needs to be the beginning and the ending. Like a minute or so. I'd love to see a visual. P l e a s e :)

Are you draining the tank with the Aqueon hooked up to the sink, using water pressure? That's what I do NOT do anymore because it takes forever/doesn't work well/wastes water. I use the pond pump or gravity to drain the tank (with the Aqueon hose), and I fill the tank with the water changer hooked up to the faucet. I always use the pond pump to drain the tank when the water goes down the drain, but when the weather is good, I often use gravity and drain the tank out the window. The pump is faster than gravity.

I can try a video in a few days. I think Tithra has a pump video. I didn't get how it worked either. :)

I use a hand vac when I need to, but I don't have gravel to vacuum. Sand doesn't need vacuuming like gravel does. :)

Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad I won't have to make a trip to the hardware store. :D

I like to gravel vac, but when I'm done, I need to drain more water. It's a 5:1 ratio of wasted sink water to new aquarium water.

My aqueon hose fits on one of the adapters that came with the one I have too. I think they're both good pumps, hard to go wrong. The Harbor Freight one is cheaper by a few bucks but has 6.99 shipping, the Amazon one is a few bucks more but has free shipping so they end up costing almost the same, only a $3.00 difference.

Maybe read the reviews and see if you're compelled one way or another ;)

You might want to hand siphon out a couple gallons to clean your substrate before or during emptying the tank with the pump. You shouldn't need a cover for over the pump with pea sized gravel.

I think I'll get the 2day shipping over Amazon, since I have free Amazon Prime. Right in time for my next water change. IF any of you are students, you can get a free 6month trial of Amazon Prime with your school's .edu email address.

I really like your topic. I have the aqueon water changer also. I think it takes me about 90 min. to do two huge wc. A 60g and 34g. I feel like it takes f o r e v e r

I foresee you also purchasing a pump soon LOL

I drain mine with a regular (medium) bulb primed siphon and 1/2" hose into the bathtub but I could video tape pumping back in? if that would help?

I used to drain with my aqueon, same idea but extra work getting the siphon started with the sink and then i would unscrew it and move it to the bathtub either way for a faster (because lower) drain. I don't want it to drain too fast because while its draining I wipe down the walls and clean the substrate, by the time I've done that, I've drained about 65% which is my normal weekly water change.

I think 4prettyfish was referring to the way you lower your siphon from sink to bathtub. It wouldn't work for me because my bathtub is way too far.

I think 4prettyfish was referring to the way you lower your siphon from sink to bathtub. It wouldn't work for me because my bathtub is way too far.

Oh thats easy, no video required. 1. Turn off water (it will keep siphoning), water pressure is only needed to start the siphon.

2. Unscrew from sink, 3. Carry over to bathtub, preferably with something under it like a small bowl so you don't get tank water on the floor as it will continue to drain. 4. Set in bathtub, thats it.

:)

Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad I won't have to make a trip to the hardware store. :D

I like to gravel vac, but when I'm done, I need to drain more water. It's a 5:1 ratio of wasted sink water to new aquarium water.

You will love it. A pump is well worth it for this fact alone imo. The draining-with-water-pressure method is crazy wasteful. :(

I will be doing a water change tomorrow if you're interested though I don't pump from the sink, I pump from a bin because I have to age and heat my water due to ph and temperature differences in my well. It would be the same idea filling up a sink, letting the water run and pumping in if your sink faucet can keep up, mine used to be close, but it would work.

So many variables.

Thanks. This is going to be such a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway. ha ha Once your are taking water out of the tank and you unscrew that unit/piece to the faucet....you say you move it to the bathtub....How? Isn't water still pouring out? Do you put the hose into a bucket and carry it all to the tub or outside if you want to water plants? Someone else above does the same thing(I think I read that last night) as you. Yes, If you want to video, I'm coming back to see this thread. I'm really liking it to see if it helps me out also.

I'd like to see some of those other contraptions/ideas that were posted. :)

Cindi: I just saw post above about instuctions. I get that. But when I turn off my faucet water to drain the tank water normally it takes forever. I hate wasting water but I'm assuming it drains faster when the faucet water is running with the hose attached. I think I'll have to try the idea though of bringing the hose to a lower area such as a tub or outside. I'm not sure if my hose will reach to the tub but will outside. I just did my wc today and didn't even think of trying any of this new stuff. Old habits hard to break. Will try to remember Thurs when I do my next wc. (tanks being treated w/salt for four days) Thanks again

Edited by 4prettyfish