Horrible Slimey Persistent algae

FishyMandy

• Supporter

Guys, I just had a horrible thought. Shaun wasn't looking too good again, he was just floating in the corner of the tank (He ate this morning), and I had a sudden realization - I don't think I put prime in after I did that water change yesterday! I put it in just now, but he would have been in untreated water for over 24 hours

;-;

He darted around for a bit after I put the prime in and now he is just hiding under his plants again

On second thought, maybe I should start a D+D thread...

The standard advice for BGA is erythromycin. That doesn't mean it's the best advice or the only method. By all means, she can and probably should try bleach, especially since this is a small tank.

Getting rid of it is only part of the issue -- the other part is to fix the problem so that it doesn't return. :)

Edit: Sniped by FishyMandy!

I don't know how standard it is, or even what that means. Let's not even go with this forum's advice, a quick look at the Skeptic Aquarist's site lists erythromycin as the very last of the choices, of which there are several before that.

I simply know that from the perspective of the fish, which is that it doesn't need to be subjected to a harsh antibiotic, especially because it's not even sick.

Alex, I also suggested the erythromycin because that is the advice that kept popping up when I was researching what to do about my BGA. I did suggest that Mandy QT the fish, not leave him in if she took this route because I totally agree that there is no reason to expose the fish.

I assume erythromycin is a typically suggested treatment because it works and many of the people experiencing BGA may not want to take out all their plants and gravel to clean it, and probably don't want to put bleach directly in the tank ;)

Oh I'm also remembering now something about it bring treating with erythromycin because of the type of bacteria it is :idont

Anyway, I'm sure bleach works just as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, I just had a horrible thought. Shaun wasn't looking too good again, he was just floating in the corner of the tank (He ate this morning), and I had a sudden realization - I don't think I put prime in after I did that water change yesterday! I put it in just now, but he would have been in untreated water for over 24 hours

;-;

He darted around for a bit after I put the prime in and now he is just hiding under his plants again

On second thought, maybe I should start a D+D thread...

Go ahead and start a d+d thread. Fill out all the info at the top and link to this thread in the new one ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because before I joined here I've always heard NEVER EVER USE BLEACH OR SOAP OR ANYTHING OTHER THAN WARM WATER IT IS BAD AND WILL KILL YOUR FISH.

That is still stuck in my head xD

I really like the idea of sand with some marbles I was also thinking of some fine black gravel with marbles. Either one will have to wait until at least next week though :P Money

Actually, a little black sand mixed with the gravel would probably look cool. If my kids want a tank again, I'm going to try that. :)

Not having read other replies, so my apologies if I repeat something that's already been pointed out.

To me this looks like cyanobacteria (aka blue green algae, but it is actual a kind of bacteria). The best way to deal with it I have found to be significantly reduced lighting. Removed all the live plants, cleaned them as much as possible, gave them a light bleach dip, kept them in a bucket of water for a week.

Tank cleaned out thoroughly, lights out, tank halfway covered with dark towel for one week.

That was with a 10g tank of course, with a larger tank it might be a bit more of a pain in the butt to do this.