Help! Bloody veins in fin!

Sennenko

Well, the above schedule that I wrote is what I have been following for my 20 gal tank:

Day 1: 50% WC, recommended prazi (1 tsp), salt (2 level tsp)... double amquel (4 tsp)

Day 2: amquel no WC (4 tsp)

Day 3: amquel no WC (4 tsp)

Day 4: 100% WC, recommended prazi (1 tsp), salts (2 tsp), double amquel (4 tsp)

Day 5: double amquel no WC (4 tsp)

Day 6 single amquel no WC (2 tsp) - was recommended by you that it was OK to do just a single dose from here on out....

Day 7 (today): 100% WC and then... just single amquel and prime (1 tsp)? no prazi?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is doing really well! I'm tempted to say he's back to normal.

Ok, I accidentally wrote "amquel and prime" when I meant amquel and salts....

is it possible for you to do a quick revised schedule? on the 4 day break.... I keep loosing track because it was changed. So we've determined that we'll do 2 days inbetween every 100% WC then?

Day 1: 50% WC, recommended prazi (1 tsp), salt (2 level tsp)... double amquel (4 tsp)

Day 2: amquel no WC (4 tsp)

Day 3: amquel no WC (4 tsp)

Day 4: 100% WC, recommended prazi (1 tsp), salts (2 tsp), double amquel (4 tsp)

Day 5: double amquel no WC (4 tsp)

Day 6: single amquel no WC (2 tsp) - was recommended by you that it was OK to do just a single dose from here on out....

Day 7 (today): 100% WC, single amquel (2 tsp), salts (2 tsp) NO PRAZI

Day 8: single amquel no WC (2 tsp)

Day 9: single amquel no WC (2 tsp)

Day 10: 100% WC, single amquel (2 tsp), salts (2 tsp).... add prazi? y/n?

I don't really know.... thanks for your input!

Oh and carpet is mildewy from the water spill. Anger! My mom wants to spray lysol on it as we ripped it up and are propping it right now with a dehumidifyer... is the lysol going to be a problem? The tank is now about 20 ft away from the area now...

And how long do you anticipate we continue...? The full 24 days?

This might make things a bit easier (or not)

Your current WC schedule is every 2 days with 100% of the water changed. On the days that you don't change the water, you still want to add a dose of Amquel, and possibly some baking soda, to ensure the pH doesn't dip down below 7.

Salt should be there always. So when you do a WC, you add salt back in.

Prazi is 4 days on, and 4 days off to make one round.

I hope that's better. If not. I'll make a schedule for you in the morning. :)

I'd appreciate that if you can. sorry :/ It must be late where you are!

Thanks. I will add the amquel and salts, no prazi for tonight.

It would be great if you let me know where you are. I'm having trouble following where you are on the chart. I understand that you've dosed prazi twice in the course of 4 days. Have many days has Nemo been off Prazi?

Alex.. I know you help a lot of people lol. I'm sorry. But I'll quote a post below where you changed the schedule:

No, remove it all. It won't mess with the cycle.

Are you on day 3 or day 4? If on day 3, go ahead and don't do WC, but add a single dose of Amquel and half a teaspoon of baking soda. This should detoxify things, and ready for the 100% WC on day 4. :)

How is Nemo?

Today is day 4 actually. Yesterday I added your above suggestion.

He is much much better! Rest occasionally on the bottom but it seems to be back to "normal" hanging out to rest. He remains swimming around for hours at a time now. yay!

He had some cement-grey poos... I don't think I've seen THAT before. :/ Hmm. Didn't change his food or anything.

So it appears that the schedule has changed from every other day... to WC, prime, prime, WC... two days in between each WC.

OK... SO I guess I'll just stick him in his tub, treated w/ the amquel and pH and temp matched....w/ a bubbler while I do the WC,.. thanks Alex again!

So your original schedule you gave me was this:

Day 1: New water (100% WC), Prazi, Salt, Double Prime

Day 2: Double Prime

Day 3: New water (100% WC), Prazi, Salt, Double Prime

Day 4: Double Prime

Day 5: New Water (100% WC), Salt, Double Prime

Day 6: Double Prime

Day 7: New Water (100% WC), Salt, Double Prime

Day 8: Double Prime

Day 9: New water (100% WC), Prazi, Salt, Double Prime

Day 10: Double Prime

Day 11: New water (100% WC), Prazi, Salt, Double Prime

Day 12: Double Prime

Day 13: New Water (100% WC), Salt, Double Prime

Day 14: Double Prime

Day 15: New Water (100% WC), Salt, Double Prime

Day 16: Double Prime

Day 17: New water (100% WC), Prazi, Salt, Double Prime

Day 18: Double Prime

Day 19: New water (100% WC), Prazi, Salt, Double Prime

Day 20: Double Prime

Day 21: New Water (100% WC), Salt, Double Prime

Day 22: Double Prime

Day 23: New Water (100% WC), Salt, Double Prime

Day 24: Double Prime

And in the above quoted post, you said if I was on day 3 then no need to do a WC... and do one instead on day 4. This is what changed the schedule to be two days of amquel between every water change instead of every other day.

?

So this is what I have done so far based on that:

(9/3/13) Day 1: 50% WC, recommended prazi (1 tsp), salt (2 level tsp)... double amquel (4 tsp)

(9/4/13) Day 2: amquel no WC (4 tsp)
(9/5/13) Day 3: amquel no WC (4 tsp)
(9/6/13) Day 4: 100% WC, recommended prazi (1 tsp), salts (2 tsp), double amquel (4 tsp)
(9/7/13) Day 5: double amquel no WC (4 tsp)
(9/8/13) Day 6: single amquel no WC (2 tsp) - was recommended by you that it was OK to do just a single dose from here on out....
(9/9/13) Day 7 (today): 100% WC, single amquel (2 tsp), salts (2 tsp) NO PRAZI

I think where I misunderstood you was that we were just expanding the days between each water change...? Was I supposed to be off of Prazi already!?

arrrrgh you help is needed lol. >_< I wish I could know more to be the judge of scheduling...

Edited by Sennenko

Alex, in the spirit of being up front and sharing all known information....

ugh it's been a long night. The mold problem from the water leak really threw me off. Once I was able to relocate the tank after emptying it, I performed the 100% WC and I switched on the filters once more but forgot my Amquel. I thought I had done it but I had not, because i was very distracted with ripping up the carpet and wearing masks and the whole jazz. I didn't realize my bottle was still in the other room and not used until about half an hour ago. So nearly 2 hours went by with the "NEW" 100% WC water going through the filters without any Amquel+ or the baking soda to bring up pH. :( So I can just see it.. pH crash to 6.0 and chlorine/chloramines in the tap...?

Would 2 hours do it?!

I killed everything, didn't I? :madrant

Of course I've added everything back in and poor mr Nemo has been waiting so patiently in his holding tank throughout this long night.

My only option is to monitor the ammonia to see if it spikes...?! God I am so unseasoned at this... boooo.

Isn't there a book that I could get?! lol

Edited by Sennenko

Did you add the Amquel and baking soda? I don't think that things will be that bad. You will just have to monitor parameters. :)

I'll re-write the schedule for you later. For some reason, I'm still not understanding quite where you are or what you did, but I understand enough to know where I can proceed. :)

Yes, I added the Amquel+ and Baking soda as soon as I remembered. I'll monitor parameters.

Is there something missing from what I've provided below? yesterday (9/9) was my "Day 7" and this is the NEW (semi-revised) schedule and dosage wherein it was changed to 2 days between each water change, and only a single dose of Amquel, not double. I had been doing double up until 9/8, Day 6.

(9/3/13) Day 1: 50% WC, recommended prazi (1 tsp), salt (2 level tsp)... recommended double amquel (4 tsp)

(9/4/13) Day 2: recommended double amquel no WC (4 tsp)

(9/5/13) Day 3: recommended double amquel no WC (4 tsp)

(9/6/13) Day 4: 100% WC, recommended prazi (1 tsp), salts (2 tsp), recommended double amquel (4 tsp)
(9/7/13) Day 5: recommended double amquel no WC (4 tsp)
(9/8/13) Day 6: single amquel no WC (2 tsp) - was recommended by you that it was OK to do just a single dose from here on out....
(9/9/13) Day 7 (last night): 100% WC, single amquel (2 tsp), salts (2 tsp) NO PRAZI

So last night was the above step. There are salts in the tank but no prazi now.

That's fine there is no prazi right now, and there should not be any. I think there was a misunderstanding, so your treatment was a little different, but it does not make a difference. The treatment is just as effective.

Here is what I would like for you to do:

- From now until 9/14, there should be no prazi, only salt. Do WCs, or add Amquel/baking soda as needed to keep parameters in the good. Make sure to add salt back when you do WCs. Make sure to check pH, because I worry about the pH slipping.

- From 9/15 - 9/18, there should be prazi in the tank. Before you add prazi on 9/15, do a 100% WC, add salt, and Amquel/baking soda. Between 9/15-9/18, check parameters and add Amquel/baking soda, or do water change as needed. During this time, water changes must be 100%, and then add back prazipro. Make sure to check pH, because I worry about the pH slipping.

- From 9/19 - 9/22, there should be no prazi, only salt, so on 9/19, do a 100% WC to start things. During this time period, do WCs (does not have to be 100%), or add Amquel/baking soda as needed to keep parameters in the good. Make sure to add salt back when you do WCs. Make sure to check pH, because I worry about the pH slipping.

- From 9/23 - 9/26, there should be prazi in the tank. Before you add prazi on 9/23, do a 100% WC, add salt, and Amquel/baking soda. Between 9/23-9/26, check parameters and add Amquel/baking soda, or do water change as needed. During this time, water changes must be 100%, and then add back prazipro. Make sure to check pH, because I worry about the pH slipping.

- Starting 9/27, go back to your regular water changing and maintenance routine, making sure to check parameters, since there have been a few hitches here and there.

I hope that made sense :rofl, and good luck!

So unless there's any serious incidents or blips, I don't really need to post the daily readings from now on do I?

I'll keep to this schedule and maintain the levels. Your instructions on this last half are very clear :) So I know how to handle it.

I'll post a video update in the next few days to show you all that he is a happy fish once again. Don't we all just love happy fishies!

• 3 weeks later...

Checking in with a Huzzah! Everything went according to plan. No blips even, in the pH or the other readings. YAY!

ALEX, YOU DA BEST. \m/

Here, have a Happy Fish Video! (click on the image to open a new window)

th_MVI_1557.jpg

I loooove his tail so much. And he's really gotten a lot more gold scales since I first got him.. he was much much more black back then. Must be that Hikari food I've been giving him. ^_^

Back to healthiness!

On that note... is it ok to give Repashy supergreen as a treat once in a while without any meds, just by itself?

Edited by Sennenko