Help! Bloody veins in fin!

Sennenko

I'm so sorry guys... remember, I"m like... INFANCY new to all of this, really.

Should I:

1.) order MediGold

or

2.) Order Repashy to use with Kanaplex? Or is the Kanaplex used differently?

I'm putting my orders together now. I just want to get things straight and how much it's gonna cost.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Order Kanaplex :)

At some point if you are able, order Metro-Meds from goldfishconnection.com, because it's very useful to have around.

OK, glad you cleared that up for me. I will go ahead and order the Kanaplex, repashy, and the PraziPro. For some reason goldfishconnection doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Much thanks! So no salt in the meantime? I'll just monitor with daily WCs and hope more fluke spots don't crop up :( Is there anything that I should do about that damned plant that instigated this or is it too late.

My other question that I don't think got answered yet would be... are we planning on treating the main tank then... do I keep him in there till the meds arrive? There would be no point in setting up a quarantine tank if the filter media/water/substrate is infected with flukes now, is there? It would make sense to treat the whole tank to get rid of everything...

Or would I set up the QT just with uncycled water, and airstone, and maybe the filter without any media? That would mean I would have to watch the levels like a hawk.. and having to work for 8 hours a day, this isn't an option.....

Edited by Sennenko

Unless I am missing something here, I am thinking if he is the only fish in the tank you can leave him in there though it will take more meds depending on the size of your tank (which I can't remember).

Also, like others have said, I wouldn't overly worry about the plant, meaning I don't think it caused these current symptoms that are so bad right now. In the future just make sure to do a 1 part bleach to 19 parts water with regular (not concentrated bleach) on new plants in a bucket for a few minutes. After that, rinse the plant well and move the plant to a bucket with dechlorinated water for 15-30 minutes or so before adding the plant to your tank.

The clean water is really important once you can get your ph the same.

Hope he feels better soon :)

Edited by CindiL

Unless I am missing something here, I am thinking if he is the only fish in the tank you can leave him in there though it will take more meds depending on the size of your tank (which I can't remember).

Also, like others have said, I wouldn't overly worry about the plant, meaning I don't think it caused these current symptoms that are so bad right now. In the future just make sure to do a 1 part bleach to 19 parts water with regular (not concentrated bleach) on new plants in a bucket for a few minutes. After that, rinse the plant well and move the plant to a bucket with dechlorinated water for 15-30 minutes or so before adding the plant to your tank.

The clean water is really important once you can get your ph the same.

Hope he feels better soon :)

He's in a 20 gal... would this require a lot of meds if I kept him in there? It would be so much easier not to set up a QT tank :P but I'll do what's best for him so I appreciate you guys' opinions. Thanks everyone.

PraziPro is dosed at 1 tsp per 20 gallons so it shouldn't take a lot of meds, especially if you get the 4 oz size. You'll have extra to do a maintenance dose in 3-6 months. :D

I think medicating in the 20 will be fine, especially since you only have the one fish.

Also to answer a couple of your previous questions:

PraziPro will not affect your BBs and neither will salt. The plant may be sensitive to salt. Waht is it again? :idont

If you wnat to remove your gravel, do it slowly. How much gravel do you have? When I removed mine years ago, I removed about 1/4 of it at a time. You'll want to do it slowly and check for any cycle bumps. If you do it very slowly you shouldn't have any problems.

Finally, thanks for hte compliment on my tank. I no longer have a bare bottom tank. :teehee I added sand. I will add a pic in this thread if you'd like to see it. :peeka I don't wnat to hijack your thread though so let me know. I could PM you a pic but you don't have quite enough posts yet. :D

Thanks guys!

I ordered repashy super green, kanaplex, and prazipro (4oz).

I would like advice, please.... on what recommended actions to take as soon as I get the medicine, in case it's late here on the forums...or no one is online:

1. Dosage of Prazipro

2. How frequent

3. How to replace the after a WC (what % ratio)

4.) The repashy & how much Kanaplex to add to it

Nitrates were 5ppm today before my 25% WC. He was still bottom sitting, and I managed to scoop him up gently to look and the red/bloody area looks like a deeper red and has spread a bit more. It looks like things will get worse before they get better.... :( I tried getting another picture but he was squirming and the light was low, so that was a fail. I mean, he's probably scratching against the gravel and aggravating it to spread, like scratching a mosquito bite.

So I did the WC as a courtesy even though the levels were OK. I gave him a pea for bothering him with handling him for the attempted photo, and I covered his tank with a dark towel and just prayed that he'll rest peacefully... I hope he hangs on!!!! I'm going to bawl my eyes out if he doesn't make it before the medicine arrives.

He does get active when its time to eat though, so that's good. Cross your fins for us please!!

Thanks so much everyone for you help!! You're the best, I'm so thankful I found this site. :)

*STORMS IN DRAMATICALLY*

You guys, I actually FOUND a parasite in the tank today. I was looking at Nemo when I noticed a grayish-brown blob on the inside of the tank wall... I took a a long poker stick and touched it AND IT MOVED!!! ugh!! Then it detached itself and I was able to scoop it up and put it in a glass dish. You know, for science!

VIDEO:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/laiquendi-elf/MVI_1534.mp4

It moooooooves! What is this thing?! AUGH!!!!

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

I subsequently killed it with bleach out of rage after getting these shots.

I thought flukes were microscopic. So what was this thing!? it was about 1/8"-1/4" long. it almost looked like a leech. Although I didn't see it when I had picked up Nemo before. Perhaps it kept attacking him on again off again??

Nemo is still bottom sitting but is becoming more active, he was really hungry and excited at dinner time today, so that's good. The red area seems to be less of a deep red but it has still spread and covers more of an area since that first photo. There's a bit of bloodiness starting to creep a little bit into the other lower pectoral fin, but hardly. It's mainly concentrated on the one side.

###### that Labor day weekend!! The meds won't arrive until mid to late week. Is there anything I can do in the meantime??

Water levels: 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 3ppm nirate

Edited by Sennenko

• Supporter

the good thing is that not all aquarium leeches are considered as parasites and most are actually harmless, feeding off other food sources in the aquarium such as biofilm and particles of foods that are caught in it or decaying. I don't think that the one you have found is of the harmful to fish kind.

the good thing is that not all aquarium leeches are considered as parasites and most are actually harmless, feeding off other food sources in the aquarium such as biofilm and particles of foods that are caught in it or decaying. I don't think that the one you have found is of the harmful to fish kind.

Ah, thanks for the education. I wanted something so badly to blame!! I guess a lot of stuff hitch hiked in... I can't believe I had the wherewithal to put the plant in when I was out of bleach... never again...!!

• Supporter

it's ok :) and I totally understand :)

right now, the best thing to do is to continue on with the suggested treatment plan that others have discussed with you. since a lot of the symptoms your fish displays is more related to flukes, typically.

good luck :)

Good news, things are looking up a bit.

Tank levels have maintained 0ppm on all fronts so yesterday and today I didn't need to do a WC. Did a small bit of Amquel+ because ammonia was creepine up toward .25 but not yet.

Nemo's bloody patch is getting better. It's a lighter shade, almost pink. Definitely not deep red, so that's good. And he's been more active.

And lastly! The medication will be here on Tuesday. Tastyworms really delivered! If it wasn't for the holiday weekend I would have had it so much sooner!

Okay, except he's gone and gotten himself constipated :/ poor guy. At least I think that's what this is??

This morning he had a rather pronounced buldge on his right side of the body, near the tail. He ate a small breakfast this morning (Hikari baby pellets soaked first). He was super active and zooming around acting like a piggy, of course. So good behavioral signs.

But this evening after work, it was still there and I think even a little bigger. I didn't see any big poops in the tank. Maybe a small one but it could have been from the previous night.

You can really see the angle of the thing by looking at where his tail attaches!

bulge.jpg

The bulge isn't really that white/pink. It's a trick of the light.

From the side:

side.jpg

Again, it was actually hard to take these photos because he was zooming around wanting food, I guess. Piggy!

So I backed off from his usual dinner time and 6 hours later administered 1 pea. I'll skip breakfast tomorrow.

Should I be worried?! Please advise! It's not some fluke egg infestation is it?

However, looking at my profile pic, I just noticed that he had a buldginess on the OTHER side! Guess it goes away then huh.

Ugggh, it's just one thing after another for this poor innocent creature!! I feel awful!! :crying:

Meds tomorrow hopefully!

His bloody spot is pretty much all nearly gone. But I'm sure there's nasties in there somewhere that we want to clean up.

Edited by Sennenko

I know this is going to be unpleasant for you both, but is there anyway you can take a good pic of the vent? I'd like to confirm whether we have a male or female.

Lol, oh dear. I"m going to laugh if Nemo turns out to be female. My gender pronouns were just arbitrary...

Um... ok I will try.. LOL! >_< I"ll be home from work in about 4 hours

OKAY, MEDS ARE IN!

Alex, please let me how I should go about the use/dosage/duration. It's my first time doing all of this. I read the instructions buuuuuuut.... I'm I going to put the Kanaplex in the Repashy food, or use it directly in the tank??

After last night's pea, there was a long skinny green poo this morning. Then after work, he was expelling another green poo, this time more a normal-width but shorter.

I made sure he swam around a bit to dislodge this before I took pictures. Whew! I can't believe I actually got these shots. (I still can't get over that I'm handling my fish.. LOL. I get so nervous >_<)

So here they are. I can't really tell..?

IMG_1549.jpg

And trying to get one from the side:

IMG_1550.jpg

Oh please don't tell me I have to help expel eggs >_____<

Lastly.... tank readings this morning were 0.50 ppm ammonia, 0.25 ppm nitrite and 0.50 ppm nitrate. I managed to do a 30% WC before work but then had to run out. When I came home today, (6 hours later), readings were: 0 ppm, .13 ppm nitrite (between 0 and the .25 shades) and .25 ppm nitrate (also between the 0 and the .50 mark's shades)

So I read that before Prazi to do a big WC, which it appears I still should do.

Let me have it!

Helen tells me that Nemo is a boy. :)

How are things looking? Are the bases of the pec fins still red? Have they become worse or better? Appetite? Activity?

For the moment, I would like for you to do as big a WC are you are able, without altering the pH too much (within 0.5), in preparation for the Prazipro treatment. There should be no carbon in the system, and I'd like for you to salt the tank with just 1 level teaspoon per 10 gallons water. We will want to stay especially on top of water quality.

Did you order Metro-Meds by any chance?

It's a boy! lol (well should we be worried about the big bulge?) >_<

Well, he's been consistently bottom sitting throughout this whole time since I've started the thread. More so than his "normal" behavior. He has spurts of activity where he'll swim around for a bit but settle on the bottom and just hang there for a good while. I think today he's been down there all day. His red spot is completely cleared up though! Yay!

He has appetite and always perks up for food so that's good.

Even with a fresh batch of crushed coral added on Thursday, my pH slowly is declining, even after adding in some baking soda with the water changes. It's hovering around 6.8 now, down from a reading of 7.6. I should bring this back up a bit? I put the crushed coral in a nylon stocking this time around and made it look like a "stone" because in the dish, it got everywhere..... perhaps it's too compacted? Should I spread it out more like a long cylindrical rock so it can 'breathe' more? lol

I ordered the PraziPro, Kanaplex, and Repashy supergreen gel. I did not order MetroMeds yet because for a few days the website seemed to be experiencing difficulties and I couldn't add anything to my cart. In fact... uh... It still appears to not work for me. I might have to call or email them to place an order differently. Is it needed asap? I thought you said that it would just be handy later on. But I'll try to order it.

Ok! I will do a 50% WC, and salt. Awaiting orders captain. ;)

In addition to the coral, let's use the baking soda, as show in the link I have in the sig. Add enough to raise the kH by about 70 ppm for your size tank, please.

When you are done with the WC and salt, please go ahead and add the prazipro to the tune of 1 teaspoon (5ml) for every 20 gallons.

Do you think you can try to follow this schedule, with the 100% WC? If not, I will modify, but let's go ahead and start treatment. :)

Day 1: New water (100% WC), Prazi, Salt, Double Prime

Day 2: Double Prime

Day 3: New water (100% WC), Prazi, Salt, Double Prime

Day 4: Double Prime

Day 5: New Water (100% WC), Salt, Double Prime

Day 6: Double Prime

Day 7: New Water (100% WC), Salt, Double Prime

Day 8: Double Prime

Day 9: New water (100% WC), Prazi, Salt, Double Prime

Day 10: Double Prime

Day 11: New water (100% WC), Prazi, Salt, Double Prime

Day 12: Double Prime

Day 13: New Water (100% WC), Salt, Double Prime

Day 14: Double Prime

Day 15: New Water (100% WC), Salt, Double Prime

Day 16: Double Prime

Day 17: New water (100% WC), Prazi, Salt, Double Prime

Day 18: Double Prime

Day 19: New water (100% WC), Prazi, Salt, Double Prime

Day 20: Double Prime

Day 21: New Water (100% WC), Salt, Double Prime

Day 22: Double Prime

Day 23: New Water (100% WC), Salt, Double Prime

Day 24: Double Prime

I just read your post and Nemo sure has been through a lot. I hope he starts to feeling good once you start Alex's treatment with prazi.

On a lighter note: Congrats on Nemo being a Boy. I love his color's.

Get better Nemo.