Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Gravel vacuums

Hi Everyone,

Question: I have a conventional gravel vacuum (syphon). It is really short so I wanted to get an extension. All I could find is the Python extension (attaches to sink). Will this hook up to a regular syphon hose?

By conventional siphon, do you mean one that just drains into a bucket? If so, then you can just buy a connector with two 'barbed' ends, a few hose clamps, and attach some more tubing to it. All three items should be available at the Hardware store.

I think the python system is the absolute best purchase I've ever made when it comes to aquarium equipment. It is worth checking out, in my opinion.

Yes, the wonderful bucket syphon lol. I have 6 tanks running and my arms can't take it anymore. I can't use the Python system that attaches to the sink because it aerates the water and I have supersaturated gases that I have to degas prior to filling the tank. I just took all of the "connection" pieces off of one end of the extension to expose the tube. Then I stuck the tube into the other end of the squeezy thing that starts the syphon. I'll have to duct tape it to make sure it doesn't pop out, but it is in there pretty good. The syphon starter still works great. I tested the vacuum and it worked great, albeit with less suction. I wish I had more patience with my new toys. I discovered exactly what you said. All I needed was some plain old tube, duh. Haha. Thanks so much for your reply.

Wow sounds scscary! How do I find out if I have supersaturated gases? And wouldn't aerating the water degas them?

I found out because my guys were always up at the surface gulping for air and developed pop eye. I always thought "the more oxygen, the better". I could not figure out what was wrong. My water parameters were all perfect, my tank was not overcrowded, none were aggressive and on and on. I started reading up on pop eye and came across an article about supersaturated gases. The best sign is little air bubbles that form inside the fish (emboli) around the gills, or anywhere really. I saw a photo of supersaturated water and it clicked. I have a filter that treats all water coming in to my house, with strong pressure. When we pour a glass of water, there are a ton of bubbles that form on the side of the glass. A lot of people have micro bubbles in their tanks when they first do a water change, but they are gone shortly after the water gets moving. Mine don't. I was finding bubbles, literally, three days after a water change. A little test I did was to fill a plastic bottle with my tap water, put the top on and shake it really hard for a few seconds. Pop off the top while listening, you'll hear what sounds like a pop bottle opening. The more gases you have, the longer and louder the sound is. Also, observe the water in the bottle. If you see lots of micro bubbles coming up, you may have a problem. Mine was bad. I did more research and came across degassing towers and bakki showers. Then I built one out of stuff from Ikea lol. I now degas and age my water before I fill the tanks. From what I can tell, my tower degasses about 50% of the bad stuff (listening test/observation test)and the aging, another 25%. My guys seem a little uncomfortable for the first 30 minutes or so after a change, but then they are fine and all of the bubbles are gone. I guess I took it from "super" saturated to "slightly" saturated :) I tried aerating with a powerhead. This caused the tank to fill up with micro bubbles within seconds and the fish were gasping even more. Tried an air stone, same thing. Now I have tiny air stones in each tank, along with two powerheads. One at the surface for gas exchange and one that sits at the bottom to stir up the carbon dioxide. I do have both at the surface for a few hours when I add any water.

Wow thanks for the info that is interesting.

I do not know if you have supersaturated gas or not. Sounds like something you should ask your water utility can help you with.

I do have several comments, though.

1. Your water in the python is not aerated. The aerator is actually taken off prior to attaching the python to the sink faucet. I do this every time I do a water change. :)

2. The other thing is as DP. Wouldn't aerating the water help to de-gas it?

I have the same issue so I age my water in a 25g sterilite bin with an airstone overnight and then all the gasses are gone. From there I use a small pond pump and a garden hose to get the water from the bin into the tank.

If your goldies seem uncomfortable you may want to check your tank ph and the ph of the water you are putting in, it should be less then a .5 difference, max. When you say they seem uncomfortable for 30minutes can you describe what that means?

Edited by CindiL

dnalex: If you read the Python package or the FAQ on their site, they say you don't need too condition your water (necessarily) because the Python aerates the water thus removing lower levels of chlorine/chloramine and heavy metals. That would add more of what I don't want:). I am the first house after the water main, so the water pressure is intense. My filter puts even more pressure on the water. An air stone basically does the job of poking a tiny whole in a brick wall and adds more bubbles. The finer the bubble, the greater the surface action…but fine bubbles are the enemy. Gotta love a good catch 22. That is why I built a degassing tower. I blow a fan at it while I pour the water through. This does WAY better at getting the gases to atmospheric pressure. I never bothered consulting the city because whenever they do maintenance on the main, they come into my house to fill a glass with water and measure the saturation. They are always at the max for what they are allowed. My water is literally filled with micro-bubbles. When I eventually put 2 and 2 together, it all made sense.

Crimson: A fellow "de-saturator"! I love the idea of using the pond pump. I have been slugging buckets. Definitely going to play around with that idea:). Checked the PH values when I was in the diagnosis phase, the values are right on par with the tank. After I change the water, the fish get a little surface gulpy for a half hour. Basically a mild form of the symptoms I was seeing before degassing. I like the tower because in a pinch, I can instantly degas without aging. Although, the degassing with aging is the gold standard in my house. I have been known to run the water through twice when doing large water changes.

Goldiegeek: I don't think that aeration alone will remove chloramine a to a low enough concentration without the used of granulated activated carbon. :idont

bodoba: Very true. I would never skip the conditioner. I think that is the Python answer to the question regarding at what stage you condition water. It would take a serious air stripping to remove all the chlorine/chloramine and heavy metals. A household tap alone could not provide the pressure needed to strip the water fully, just enough to add too many micro-bubbles….ugh. What you need to degas is more of a drip. Pressure is my enemy:)

Edited by goldiegeek