NLS...messyness....new kind of food?

xjasminex

Hey guys, i read the other day that NLS can be a messy pellet food. And i have noticed that my tank is messier than it used to be, then i noticed how much gunk is in the water right after feeding...ewww.

I dont plan on stop feeding the NLS, but i plan to mix it with another type of pellet that isnt so messy....

I was hoping that you guys could give me suggestions for a good goldfish food that isnt so messy.

I would really like to find a more veggie based food too, i feed solient green once a day when im home, but its not everyday.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Pellet foods should not be "messy" unless you are over feeding it. How many pellets do you feed? What is the mm size?

Do you soak the pellets? Soaking them for too long will most likely soften them and make them turn into mush in the tank.

Edited by Georgia

I've mixed NLS with Super Green. I mix the NLS with water to form a paste, then I mix 2 tsp Super Green and 2 Tbs boiling water and stir in 1 tsp of the NLS paste. The only problems that I've had with the NLS pellets is that they tend to get carried off by water currents, into the filter intake.

Well, don't try Pro Gold then :rofl NLS can be a little messy particularly if you soak it. Alex and I don't soak it and the manufacturers also say not to soak it. Because of this, I recommend using the 1mm size to avoid swelling and constipation.

Hikari Lionhead is a good, cleaner alternative that can be fed to all goldfish. It sinks immediately and doesn't crumble at all. Omego One is good, too. For veggies, try clipping in some raw Red Leaf lettuce :D

Edited by jmetzger72

I have the ehiem automatic feeder, it feeds them twice a day.

I have the 3mm size pellets, at most they get about 90 pellets each time, though it does differ its never more that about 90 but sometimes can dispense as little as 50 pellets.

There are two med-large goldfish in the tank. Most of the food sinks but some does float, the fish concentrate on the sinking and then floating has sunk before they get to it, so usually not much surface feeding.

This is 90 pellets...

23B0B256-E146-4E7E-8B42-2B00D5F35BE4-612

I know that if i dont feed them enough they really go to town on the plants too.

I had a dirty water problem and was told Omega One was good. However I went and bought filter pads for better mechanical filtration the same day so that's what I think was really the problem. My water's clean now :)

242.jpg I got mine at Petsmart for about 7$.. I think Petco is a dollar cheaper.

I've also acquired quite a few different kinds of food so I mix it up. I break down algae wafers into pieces and soak them, don't know if that's any good for them though :I-Thank-You:

Edited by blubblubblub

I had a dirty water problem and was told Omega One was good. However I went and bought filter pads for better mechanical filtration the same day so that's what I think was really the problem. My water's clean now :)

242.jpg I got mine at Petsmart for about 7$.. I think Petco is a dollar cheaper.

Yes, this is what I always tell people. The AC sponges are not enough. You need something finer, and this is perfect, and cheap! :)

• Supporter

Hmm, I use Progold for my big commons and NLS for my little ones and I never get any clouding or anything. Solient Green has a great balance of veggies and protein if you look at the ingredients. Does it need to be enhanced with a pellet food? You could mix Soilient Green with one of the veggie or meat based Repashy foods to tweak it to your needs. I fine gel food very messy but it is so good for my fish and my filters rock so I don't mind. Especially since I just realized I have coffee all over my shirt, I figure my fish take after me!

Yes, this is what I always tell people. The AC sponges are not enough. You need something finer, and this is perfect, and cheap! :)

Oh really? I have this stuff for my little QT Aqueon filters. But I've never used it in my ACs. I just use 2 sponges and 1 Biomax. Where do you put the Blue pad, Alex?

Hmm, I use Progold for my big commons and NLS for my little ones and I never get any clouding or anything. Solient Green has a great balance of veggies and protein if you look at the ingredients. Does it need to be enhanced with a pellet food? You could mix Soilient Green with one of the veggie or meat based Repashy foods to tweak it to your needs. I fine gel food very messy but it is so good for my fish and my filters rock so I don't mind. Especially since I just realized I have coffee all over my shirt, I figure my fish take after me!

I use Pro Gold, too. And I don't have cloudy issues. I just meant that it is crumbly :)

I do feed the solient green when im home, i work twelve and a half hour shifts and live and hour away from where i work...so its 14.5 hours im away...i also dogsit and am gone for days, hence the auto feeder...so cant do gel food in that.

I have had my fish for 6 years, so that are at least that old and would probably benefit from a high veggie diet, they dont have floaty issues at all so thats not a worry.

I use the DBP filter pads, i have two canister filters 500gph and 250gph and have six layers in one and eight layers in the other of the filter pads...

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/filter-media/deep-blue-plain-poly-fiber-pad-18x30.html

Oh really? I have this stuff for my little QT Aqueon filters. But I've never used it in my ACs. I just use 2 sponges and 1 Biomax. Where do you put the Blue pad, Alex?

I do one sponge, then the filter padding, and then the biomax. :)

I tried the eheim automatic feeder, and I came back home to find a pile of pellets on the bottom of my tank and cloudy water. Not sure your problem is the same, but I love my Fishmate automatic feeder. It has 14 compartments that you can load with with exactly th number of pellets that ou want to feed and you can do multiple feeding per day.

That fish mate looks nice, does it have any issues with humidity? Like the food getting moist from being over the water?

I think i might just get that, it would help me customize my feeding!

That fish mate looks nice, does it have any issues with humidity? Like the food getting moist from being over the water?

I think i might just get that, it would help me customize my feeding!

I just bought and used the Fishmates for my last vacation. They worked perfectly! However, I would still recommend switching from the 3mm pellets to the 1mm pellets size if you have a bare bottom tank or sand substrate. If you have gravel, I would stick with the 3mm.

:borgg: Hikari Lionhead + Red Leaf Lettuce + Sand

+ Wen

:rofl

Now that we have Lisa using Red Leaf Lettuce and Sand, perhaps I should have Tastyworms ship her some Hikari Lionhead. Then the assimilation will be complete...mwahahahahah!

I got mine at Petsmart for about 7$.. I think Petco is a dollar cheaper.

I do one sponge, then the filter padding, and then the biomax. :)

I didn't know the best way to put it in my HOBs so I tried replicating my Eheim structure with pads on the bottom, then sponges, (then actually another pad) then ceramic balls, then more pads wherever I could fit on top (LOL I was fed up on dirty water haha). Is this ok though or sponge before pads are better?