Sign in to follow this  
Lian_S

2 fantails in a 20 gallon

Hello everyone. This is my first post here, I also made a similar post at [dnalex removed] incase anyone also uses that site.

So anyway, a few months ago my family had a 20 gallon indoor pond installed and we got a pair of fantail goldfish. It was only after we had the pond installed and got the goldfish that we found out 2 fantails would need a 30 - 40 gallon tank. Posted Image The tank is 95 cm wide and 85 cm front to back (at its widest points, its sort of a round-edged rectangle) with a waterfall and 2 filters. Could anyone give me tips on how to keep the goldfish healthy in these conditions which are not exactly ideal like how often I should do water changes, much % etc. Upgrading them is just not an option right now, neither is giving them up. Thanks!

Hi Lian,

What is the height of the container?

Hello! :hi

2 goldfish in a 20 gallon is overstocked, yes. I suggest you pick yourself up an API Freshwater Master test kit and keep a close eye on your parameters. I think <50% water changes 2-3 times a week should keep the water quality in check. Is your filter cycled?

Hey there Lian. Nice to meet ya here at Koko's. Depending on how big the fantails are, it could work while they are small, but you will have to upgrade as you go.

Otherwise you are looking at two to three WC's a week to keep up with the ammonia and bioload.

Pick the goldfish you like the best and return or re-home the other one.

Welcome and Good luck

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Hello and welcome to Koko's.

Welcome! It sounds as though your pond has good surface area. Just a thought, but maybe you could incorporate a 10-20 gallon container into a waterfall. The pump would carry water to the container, and the water would then overflow from the container back to the pond. You could put plants in the container and/or add some filter media.

I would love to see a picture of this indoor pond. I may need one for my house too hahaha.

For that pond to be 20 gallons, it would have to be less than four inches (10 cm) deep. Is that the case? If not, how deep is it? Would you post a picture of the pond?

If your fish can swim in water that shallow, they are fine in this container. That assumes you have good filtration and a good water change schedule.

For that pond to be 20 gallons, it would have to be less than four inches (10 cm) deep. Is that the case? If not, how deep is it? Would you post a picture of the pond?

If your fish can swim in water that shallow, they are fine in this container. That assumes you have good filtration and a good water change schedule.

I was curious about the depth as well. Once they grow large, this will be an issue.

My point is that I question whether it is only 20 gallons. I suspect it's twice that since I can't believe anyone would make a pond 4 inches deep.

Thanks for all the welcome greetings! :D

The pond is as i said is sort of a rectangle with rounded edges, similar to the rectangle in this pic http://www.webdesign.org/img_articles/16438/47.gif . Its 95 x 85 cm at its widest points, however corner to corner its a bit less than that. Its about 6 inches deep and before we got our fantails a friend of mine give me 2 goldfish for a couple of days because his tank had a crack. The bigger one looked about 6 - 8 inches long and they could swim without problems even with their fins open.

Edited by Lian_S

Lian, even in the worst case scenario (at 6 inches deep), your container is over 20 US gallons and probably more like 30 - potentially more like 40. As Jared said, watch the height - some deep bodied fish can grow very tall - and as Schoolie suggested, you could add a bit of extra water volume as part of a waterfall/filter feature.

Post a picture in the Ponds subforum to help us get a better idea of what the pond looks like!

Hi. Im pretty sure its 20 gallons because we measured the amount of water we were putting in as we were filling it. Anyway, i guess I am just going to have to add more water volume to the waterfall/filter output or rehome one of the goldies. Would a goldfish be happy living on its own? Could I keep both until they get a bit bigger? I would feel really bad making a young goldfish live on its own. Don't fish like to school because it makes them feel safer from predators? I think a small goldfish on its own would feel a bit stressed so I would rather separate them when they are a but older as I think the bigger they are they less they would feel like "prey" xD. They aren't that big at the moment, I would say not including fins each one is still smaller than a golfball. By the way how tall do they grow? Would they reach more than 5-6 inches tall in 20 gals? Are you all absolutely positive they couldn't live in 20 gallons for a few years? Thanks

We used a 2 gallon bucket to fill the pond, it took us 10 of that bucket to fill it so sadly I don't think its possible for it to be more than 2 :(

I would not keep any goldfish in there.

I disagree, fantails are generally longer bodied than tall. If these were Ryukins, the OP would have a problem, but with the height of fantails, I wouldn't be that worried.

With your dimensions, the pond would be 31 US gallons, which is fine for two fantails, especially since the footprint is actually larger than a 40 gallon. Are you sure it's a 2 gallon bucket and not a 3 gallon?

Don't fish like to school because it makes them feel safer from predators?

Some do. Goldfish (carp) are schooling fish but do ok by themselves. But if your fish grew up with another, I personally wouldn't separate them.

Hi. Im pretty sure its 20 gallons because we measured the amount of water we were putting in as we were filling it. Anyway, i guess I am just going to have to add more water volume to the waterfall/filter output or rehome one of the goldies. Would a goldfish be happy living on its own? Could I keep both until they get a bit bigger? I would feel really bad making a young goldfish live on its own. Don't fish like to school because it makes them feel safer from predators? I think a small goldfish on its own would feel a bit stressed so I would rather separate them when they are a but older as I think the bigger they are they less they would feel like "prey" xD. They aren't that big at the moment, I would say not including fins each one is still smaller than a golfball. By the way how tall do they grow? Would they reach more than 5-6 inches tall in 20 gals? Are you all absolutely positive they couldn't live in 20 gallons for a few years? Thanks

Define happy. Goldfish certainly appear to prefer the company of other fish; however, they can (and do) live quite successfully by themselves. In fact, some seem to prefer being by themselves.

As for tank size, with good genetics and a good diet, goldfish can grow quite rapidly. There have been fish on this site that have doubled in size over a few short months.

Hi. When I calculated the dimensions I was also thinking I would have about 25-30 gallons, however the container has a built in structure where one filter is kept and another side of the container has a built in built in piece of wood where a plant pot could be placed which cannot be removed. I think both of these along with the other filter, rocks etc. Are what make the container only capable of 20 gallons. The goldfish are each about the size of strawberries (not including fins). How much longer do you guys think they could live here considering the size they are before I will have to give one up or somehow add volume to the pond?

And also, sorry for not posting any pictures yet. The pond is just literally the preformed liner with water and some plants. We haven't had time to do anything to the exterior so the pond is still far from beautiful lol xD

Would you say the bodies are one or two inches? (I've seen some big strawberries!) You could keep them maybe a few months, depending on how big they are and how fast they grow. They grow super fast if you take care of them :) Welcome to the forum.. I hope you can figure something out

7.jpg

Now this is an Oranda and you cant see really well but he was about 4" tall he wouldnt work in a pond like yours.. he wasnt even fully grown in this photo either.... My current Oranda would work either.... Now if you dont get snow or freezing temps you may get around a Ranchu or Lionhead MAYBE!

I disagree, fantails are generally longer bodied than tall. If these were Ryukins, the OP would have a problem, but with the height of fantails, I wouldn't be that worried.

With your dimensions, the pond would be 31 US gallons, which is fine for two fantails, especially since the footprint is actually larger than a 40 gallon. Are you sure it's a 2 gallon bucket and not a 3 gallon?

Don't fish like to school because it makes them feel safer from predators?

Some do. Goldfish (carp) are schooling fish but do ok by themselves. But if your fish grew up with another, I personally wouldn't separate them.

I'm sorry but you can not disagree that I would not keep any fish in there.