Sign in to follow this  
Thaoster

Dirty sand not getting clean

I just bought some black sand from Petco today and I got home to rinse it, but the water is still black.

I put all the sand (10lbs) into a 5 gallon bucket and I'm just running water through it. I put the garden hose all the way at the bottom and have been continuously running water. it's been over an hour already and the water is still pitch black. Is this just the paint from the Petco sand coming off or is it just SUPER dust?

Super dust...

I don't remember how long I rinsed mine, but it was a while. Eventually it became clear.

Are you still getting floating particles after all that rinsing?

Super dust...

I don't remember how long I rinsed mine, but it was a while. Eventually it became clear.

Are you still getting floating particles after all that rinsing?

I haven't put it in the tank yet out of fear and its dark out so I was planning on getting it done earlier.

And yes it's like this tiny little dusty stuff that sticks to EVERYTHING! My arm turns gray after I take it out of the bucket.

Don't put in the tank until all of that is clear and gone.

Don't put in the tank until all of that is clear and gone.

yeah I wasn't planning on adding it until my next water change, which is in two days.

Get a very fine mesh filter to rinse your sand with. Pantyhose works great for this. I had to go through the exact same thing when I remodeled Peach's tank. You'll have to put your sand in the filter and run water through it until you stop getting a lot of cloudy water/clumps of sand out. I would suggest finding a temp area for your fish when you put the sand in because no matter how much you rinse, it's going to take a couple of hours for the sand to settle.

The easiest way (and the way to stir up less sand) to refill your tank is going to be by reverse syphon.

Here's how to do it: Find a five gallon bucket and set it higher than your tank so the water will flow down. Take the end you clean the gravel with and place it in the bucket. Put the other end of the hose (end waste water goes out) in the tank and get your suction going.

It'll take longer, but you won't kick up nearly as much sand as filling it up by dumping water in. Wait about two hours and check to see if your water is still cloudy. By that time everything should have set. You can start your filter once you've got it filled so it can help get the finer grains out of the water.

Edited by NeonVodka

I put mine in a bucket with running water and churned it with my hand until it ran clear. It needs to be stirred vigorously to clear the dust.

I put mine in a bucket with running water and churned it with my hand until it ran clear. It needs to be stirred vigorously to clear the dust.

This is what I do as well. It takes a while, but when it's done, the sand is nice and not cloudy. :)

I never rinsed mine :o

Me either.

I never rinsed mine :o

Me either.

You just poured the dry Petco sand directly into the tank to use?

That's amazing.

I take that back. I didn't rinse some of my sand, but I did rinse some. I never rinsed it until the water was clear though, and I have used only Carib Sea or non-aquarium sand. And I didn't ever just dump a bunch into an existing setup -- I had time for it to clear in the tank. :)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I take that back. I didn't rinse some of my sand, but I did rinse some. I never rinsed it until the water was clear though, and I have used only Carib Sea or non-aquarium sand. And I didn't ever just dump a bunch into an existing setup -- I had time for it to clear in the tank. :)

I thought that might be important to clarify :rofl

I could have also said that I didn't rinse my sand at all either, when comes to the instant Caribsea, but that's because they come pre rinsed. :)

And the Petco white sand, while pretty, is a disaster no matter what :rofl

I've been complaining to Lisa about this actually. :rofl

Did it roll up into these tiny hollow spheres of sand when you were rinsing? It was really disconcerting. :rofl

I could have also said that I didn't rinse my sand at all either, when comes to the instant Caribsea, but that's because they come pre rinsed. :)

Which is the clarification? :) I have used black sand and white sand, but not the instant sand. I always got the dry. Is the Petco sand dirtier than TMS?

I've been complaining to Lisa about this actually. :rofl

Did it roll up into these tiny hollow spheres of sand when you were rinsing? It was really disconcerting. :rofl

Yes, and it's grain size is inconsistent. Some of it is powder fine which makes it messy. Not to mention the algae turning it green. I only have it in Tatsu's tank because she is black and stands out nicely against the white sand.

Edited by jmetzger72

thanks so much for all the great advice! It finally ran clear and im excited to add it during my next water change. I plan on putting the fish in a temp 20 gal rubber maid bin :D Hope it wont get too cloudy

Which is the clarification? :) I have used black sand and white sand, but not the instant sand. I always got the dry. Is the Petco sand dirtier than TMS?

They are most definitely not the same. TMS is more like smaller gravel, and metallic. Petco sand is more like...sand, and not metallic. TMS did not require as much rinsing, while Petco sand does. TMS comes with an optional clarifier. Petco sand does not. Petco black sand is also duller looking than TMS, and is almost a different shade of black.

There is also a lot of debris in the Petco sand, as well as the fact that the white is different from the black.

So, yes, there are a few important things to differentiate. :)

Good luck, Thao!

They are most definitely not the same. TMS is more like smaller gravel, and metallic. Petco sand is more like...sand, and not metallic. TMS did not require as much rinsing, while Petco sand does. TMS comes with an optional clarifier. Petco sand does not. Petco black sand is also duller looking than TMS, and is almost a different shade of black.

There is also a lot of debris in the Petco sand, as well as the fact that the white is different from the black.

So, yes, there are a few important things to differentiate. :)

Cool, thanks for explaining. :) A lot of people have been talking about Petco sand recently, and I didn't realize it was so different from Carib Sea.

It IS different, and I am not sure that I like the Petco sand better.

The black Petco sand is fine, and I like that you can get it in 5 pound increments, which makes it easier for rinsing, and to get the exact amount. It also looks pretty nice.

However, overall, I like the Caribsea sands quite well. :)

Good luck, Thao!

Ill post pictures after my second round of prazi and salt is over :)

:o. Do I need to switch to Caribsea sand when I set up my new tank? :o