San Diego/Riverside residents: I kind of don't want to say this, but....

I am wondering if someone would like to have Harriet. I would like for you to live in driving distance to where I am. I live in the North County of San Diego. I can meet you half way.

You would need to have, at least: A good enough home for her as I've given her. She is currently in a 55g with two male goldfish. Please be able to provide for her at least 20g of water or 15g if she should share a tank with another fish. You would also need to be keeping up on your tank maintenance and provide a large weekly water change.

The reason why I want to rehome Harriet is because she is currently in my 55g with two male Oranda's . I have a new male Oranda in qt now. As soon as qt is over he will be joining the others in the 55g. I believe I can keep up on my water changes with 4 fish because I do at least 80% to 90% WC every five days. I do this because I want to. I'm a little concerned for two things mainly. One: Harriet will be in with 3 males. She will be the only girl. I was hoping my new fish would have been a girl. Two: I would have to do a water change every 5 days. I don't want to be doing a water change because I have to. I don't mind doing a water change because I want to. (hope that made since)

I've been thinking of this decision for several/many days now. I'm not happy with this decision but I know if someone here wants Harriet and can provide a good home for her I will then be thrilled.

Please let me know if your interested by sending me a message here or privately messaging me. We can work out a meet up time then.

Here is a short video of Harriet and some information on her under the video.

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/4prettyfish/media/8-24-13muffinfish011_zpsd4044eef.mp4.html

I purchased Harriet this year on 3-23-13 at my local Petsmart for $35.00. She was one of the bigger Oranda's in with a couple of others. When I purchased her she was between 5 and 5 1/4 inches in total length. On May 18th she grew to be 5 1/2 inches total. I have not measured her since but I'm sure she has grown some more. Harriet was my tri-colored Oranda that kept changing colors on me to the color she is now......a light Orange color. She's had the prazi and salt treatment when I brought her home with no issues at all. She did get a little unhappy with a bit of floating several months back only after eating. This would only last for an hour to perhaps several hours. I've since changed foods and she's been great ever since. I was concerned she had pop eye at one time but with the help of a couple of Mods Harriet does not have pop eye.

Okay, If interested just let me know like I mentioned above.

Thank you,

Cheryl

I am sorry you had to make this tough decision :( I'm sure you are doing the best thing for your aquatic buddy. I wish I could taker her but I live in St Louis. Good luck!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I support this decision, Cheryl. :)

Good luck with the rehoming.

(wiping forehead) Thank you. It means a lot what you said.

Good luck with finding a home for Harriet.Your making the right decision.

Thank you Heidi. I hope I am.

I am sorry you had to make this tough decision :( I'm sure you are doing the best thing for your aquatic buddy. I wish I could taker her but I live in St Louis. Good luck!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you. I hope I am making the right decision.

Is returning the new fish not an option, if you are having second thoughts about having four?

I think Cheryl wants to keep Jet. :)

I think that because spawning sometimes can be quite brutal, it's usually not a good idea to have 3, or even 2, males with 1 female. The other way around isn't too bad. :)

I think that because spawning sometimes can be quite brutal, it's usually not a good idea to have 3, or even 2, males with 1 female. The other way around isn't too bad. :)

Obviously spawning can be tough on females, but I hadn't read before that it's advised not to have males outnumber females. :hmm By unfortunate luck, my ladies have always been outnumbered. :help:

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Obviously spawning can be tough on females, but I hadn't read before that it's advised not to have males outnumber females. :hmm By unfortunate luck, my ladies have always been outnumbered. :help:

Here you go, Shawn. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/77018-breeding-and-injured-female/

It's always been here. During breeding a 2 male to one female ratio is good (for spawning), but even then damage can and does occur. Daryl actually keeps all her fish separated by gender, until spawning time, and only then...

Good luck with your search, I'm sure you'll find a wonderful home for her :)

Edited by Ele

Alex, I have read many tales here of injured females. I've seen my females chased and seen them with injuries from it. I've also read all the standard advice of breeder baskets and colanders or permanent separation and rehoming. I just hadn't seen the advice that it's usually not a good idea to keep males/female with that ratio. It's just interesting to me because, as I said, my boys have always outnumbered the girls. I will keep a close eye on Gwen now as she is my only female. She doesn't seem to release eggs, though.

Alex, I have read many tales here of injured females. I've seen my females chased and seen them with injuries from it. I've also read all the standard advice of breeder baskets and colanders or permanent separation and rehoming. I just hadn't seen the advice that it's usually not a good idea to keep males/female with that ratio. It's just interesting to me because, as I said, my boys have always outnumbered the girls. I will keep a close eye on Gwen now as she is my only female. She doesn't seem to release eggs, though.

I don't remember having been asked, or I would have piped up. I too have had my own experiences of a tank with an overwhelming number of males, and the spawning injuries that can result.

There are, of course, always exceptions.

Good luck finding her a home. I'm sure it can't be easy :hug

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Good luck with your search, I'm sure you'll find a wonderful home for her :)

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Best of luck in finding her a home Cheryl! :hug

Thanks Mikey. I appreciate it. The one person I had in mind....it didn't work out.

Males have always outnumbered females in my tanks. Sometimes they get chased, but it's never been a problem.

Good luck finding her a home.

That's great that your fish do well. :) I just don't want having three males with Harriet. I've thought of this a lot. She's also a fish that I picked out so my daughter is a bit okay with the idea instead of a fish that she had picked out. I had a problem a few months back where my Pearlscale was being chased by three males. I did not like that at all. I ended up getting another tank for my Pearlscale. Harriet and Pearl ended up sharing the 34g together but then I felt sorry for big Harriet being I the 34g. I played musical fish with them. ha ha I could go on but I'm afraid this will be a really long email.

Is returning the new fish not an option, if you are having second thoughts about having four?

I don't want to return the new fish who is a Blue Oranda. I was hoping he was a she though. Then I would have two boys and two girls in the 55g. I have two Orange Oranda's and so I am willing to find a good home for the female. I love them both. I have a male and a female. Both have been really good fish. The male one,... my daughter picked out 13 months ago. We've had him for a long time. I don't think I'd be having second thoughts if the four fish were 2 boys and 2 girls. I'd probably keep them all and continue with my huge wc's every 5 days.

I think Cheryl wants to keep Jet. :)

Yes, I am and do want to keep Jet. He was a great find in Petsmart. I was just hoping all the genders were going to be more even. You are right in my thinking also Alex. I experienced roughness already with 1 female and 3 boys. I couldn't take it. And I'm not wanting to separating them in colanders and all that stuff. I just want my fish to be my daughter's and my pets. :) We love them all but I must say I really, really, love Jet. (shame on me)

Cheryl, we all have favorites. There is nothing bad or shameful about it.

There is also nothing bad about choosing to re-home a fish, especially when you are making sure she goes to a good home.

Here you go, Shawn. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/77018-breeding-and-injured-female/

It's always been here. During breeding a 2 male to one female ratio is good (for spawning), but even then damage can and does occur. Daryl actually keeps all her fish separated by gender, until spawning time, and only then...

I did keep mine separated with females in one tank and males in another. But now the boys are ruling over the girls. I'm not a breeder just a fish pet owner. :) I'm not interested in having babies either. I don't know if I'd be able to take care of them. Then trying to find homes for them...... (I'm going to read that article also Alex. I haven't done so yet.)

Okay, Your other post with ShawneeR and your's Alex....I think I said it with these posts. I hope everyone understands. I'd be okay with four fish in a 55g. I don't really want three boys and one girl though in the tank. I don't really want a total of three orange fish either. I definitely don't want to experience all that rough chasing around again. I have my reasons.

Cheryl, we all have favorites. There is nothing bad or shameful about it.

There is also nothing bad about choosing to re-home a fish, especially when you are making sure she goes to a good home.

Thanks Alex. I'm not shameful but I do feel bad. :( And knowing me I'll probably cry when she's not here anymore. I baby these fish. I might not have live plants and do a ton of tank work on them but boy I enjoy them all so much. And I know I take great care and pride in them. :) I want her to go to a good home. I do have my favorites that always seem to change. :) For awhile it has been my Red Cap because of the wen growing. Then my favorite was the Pearlscale. When I purchased Harriet she was my favorite. Now I'm enjoying Jet and can't wait for qt to be over with. I'm not rehoming Harriet because she's my least favorite. I'm rehoming her because she is a female and a fish I picked out, not my daughter. Thank you again for your words.

I'm sorry. :hug

Thank you. She would have been great if it would have worked out.
If you would want to ship her, I could ask someone in my town that has a pretty big pond/tanks and has goldfish. :)

I'm sorry. :hug

Thank you. She would have been great if it would have worked out.
If you would want to ship her, I could ask someone in my town that has a pretty big pond/tanks and has goldfish. :)

That is a really sweet jester. But I don't think I want to mail her out. That would worry me too much. And, that is an "if" someone might want her. Thank you though for your offer Mikey to see what you can do in your area though.