Sign in to follow this  
Embrace

Metro-Meds how many pellets?

Hi all,

I have been speaking with Dnalex over the past couple of days and he has advised me to get metro-Meds. Thankfully a kind person has sent some to me, but I'm not sure how many pellets I need I feed my Oranda?

I have just weighed him/her (no idea on the gender!!) and they are 10grams. He/She is in a 25 Litre qt at the moment and is very badly pineconed and bloated :(

Thanks in advance :)

:( I'm sorry that they he still isn't well! You'll want to feed 1% of the body weight. Do you have a pocket scale to weigh the food?

How's your other fish?

Hey,

Unfortunately the fish that I was treating (lionhead) passed away whilst I was on holiday :(. This is my new fish to replace the lionhead!

Yes I think I still have it. So it would be 0.1 grams pellets per day?

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( MM's happen to be a great medicated food, and I really hope that it helps you. :hug

Yes, that's correct.

Hang in there.

Thank you :).

0.1 grams is about 3 pellets so I'll feed the fish 1 pellet, three times a day!

Very recently Dnalex told me that 1 gram equals 40 pellets of MMs. But I would wait for his or Tithra's input, just to be sure :)

Edited by Kat_M

How convenient!

My gobblers are gigantic, and are also going through a course of meds, but I have to weigh them out, because it's too many pellets to count. :o :O

Best of luck to you, and it's very nice to see you around :)

Very recently Dnalex told me that 1 gram equals 40 pellets of MMs. But I would wait for his or Tithra's input, just to be sure :)

Yes, 1 gram of metro meds will be approximately 40 pellets. Because her fish is so tiny, an appropriate dose is .1 grams, which would equal (according to those calculations) approximately 4 pellets per day. I've found, with all pellets, that the same number of pellets can vary slightly in weight. Sometimes they're slightly bigger, slightly smaller, broken, have a bubble in the inside, so a pellet of comparable size will be lighter... I prefer to weigh my dosages daily, because of it, to ensure that everyone is getting the right amount. :)

As long as she weighed them, and received the appropriate dosage, I think she should be fine.

If she has the scale, I'd definitely use it to weigh out those daily dosages, just to be sure.

^ that and the fact that MetroMeads is a very mild, fish friendly medicine, so one or two pellets over is not considered overdosing... or even close :)

is the fish showing appetite? eating well? if so, continue on.. if not, let us know and we'll suggest alternative ways to treat.

do you currently have a thread on this? is there bloating? are you using Epsom also? and the temp needs increasing as well as added aeration.

if you need further help, please do answer all the questions above as well as providing top view pics, and we will see how we can help you.

good luck!

Hi Helen,

Yes fish is showing appetite and already seems a bit better! No thread at the moment as I was just PMing Dnalex but I may create one later on tonight.

The fish is very bloated and pineconed and I have added 1/4 teaspoon of Epsom salt (QT is 25litres). Should I be doing daily W/Cs in the QT? And there is no heater in there at the moment. Do I need one?

I'll add some photos when I get home aswell :)

Posted Image

There is a photo from last night showing bloating/pineconing!

ok, yes i see the pineconing, yes, since she is or will be on the MM's, increased temps is required to speed up digestion.. MM's can constipate so we use the heat to encourage a faster motabolism as well as reduce possible constipation issues. Epsom ok.

yes, daily wc's are required.

and if you do want to start documenting in a thread, it's ok to copy and paste the information here, since you've already started advising current treatment plan :)

good that the appetite is there! always helpful in these situations :)

Ok I'll add in the heater tomorrow! How much water should I change per day? And can I go with 5 pellets per day (spread over the day?)

Thanks for all your help so far guys :). I'll keep you updated!

Just did a 50% WC. Do I need to add 1/8th teaspoon of Epsom salt to bring the % back up?

This morning when I fed her the 1st Metro-med pellet, she struggled to eat it. She ate it but it kept on falling back out of her mouth. I don't think she was spitting it out as such because when it came out of her mouth, she would suck it up again instantly. I just snapped one of the pellets in half and she seemed to eat that a lot easier!

as long as you're under 1/2 teaspoon dose, more towards 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 gals, then yes. that's fine. if it's easier for her to eat a pellet cut in half that's fine also.

hopefully in the next few days, you will begin to see some improvements. do take topview photos daily. even if you don't post them here, you have them to be able to keep track her progress for wether she improves or worsens :)

Good news, the bloating has definately reduced! Not that much, but it's still better than it has been.

Also, I'm not quite sure of his/her gender! Is there an easy way to tell?

Just an update for you all:

The bloating has definitely reduced which is good. There is still pineconing at the moment but its not as bad as it has been. One thing that I have noticed is that there is a small patch on his/her stomach that looks like the scales have come off. I would say its maybe 2-3 scales that have fallen off. Is that ok??

I am still doing 50% Water changes everyday and tipping up the Epsom salt.

Another update!

I went downstairs this morning and to my shock, I saw my fish almost back to normal! So pleased.

Do I still need to add Epsom salt?

So things are still good :). How long shall I keep feeding the Meds for?

How long has it been? Typical treatment for mms is 2 weeks but there are occasionally situations we might feed longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long has it been? Typical treatment for mms is 2 weeks but there are occasionally situations we might feed longer

It will be two weeks on Saturday! Can I feed peas as well as she is a bit constipated, or is it best to just feed MMs?

It will be two weeks on Saturday! Can I feed peas as well as she is a bit constipated, or is it best to just feed MMs?

when you say she is constipated what do you mean? (how do you know)

what temp is the tank at?

are you still doing epsom at this point? if so, how many days has it been?