I want to switch my gravel to sand I am not what color to go with

I heard sand better then gravel these are the goldfishes I have. How do I switch it with out harming them.And right now I have grave in there. Please help me how to switch and pick a color for them.1208753_10201705539820945_942523118_n.jp1080349_10201675090019719_1923440611_n.j565858_10201675067259150_597923311_n.jpg1085464_10201675099459955_158556014_n.jp

I would gradually remove the gravel over a few days. You can use a cup to carefully scoop the gravel out.

I don't think you can definitively claim sand is better than gravel, but, for the goldfish owner at least, there are several distinct advantages. Namely, sand should make debris and waste removal simpler (since it should sit on the surface), and a goldfish is far less likely to choke on sand. As for the colour, really this is a personal aesthetic choice. I'm partial to black and whiter sands. Yellow sand can be nice too, although I personally prefer the crispness of a whiter sand.

to remove your gravel just remove some with every water change so as not to have a cycle bump ;)

I prefer the lighter colored sand to the black, I tried the black and it always looked dirty to me :( I now have the lighter colored not quite white but close and I love it, and so do the fish :)

I don't know that sand is better than gravel, but:

1. gravel could be more dangerous and pose some danger of fish getting gravel stuck in their mouth

2. sand is thought to be able to help with the digestion as the fish eat this along with their food. This is not at all a substantiated fact, but simply an idea that resonates with some people.

Ok what about my goldfishes do I need to take them out,problem is I do not own another tank. I have a tank that is being used at this time. I have a 5 gallon but way to small for them. what should I do? Can I leave them in there while the sand goes in there.

Edited by Tohru1529

Ok what about my goldfishes do I need to take them out,problem is I do not own another tank. I have a tank that is being used at this time. I have a 5 gallon but way to small for them. what should I do? Can I leave them in there while the sand goes in there.

Yes, you may leave them in the 5 gallon (with an airstone) for a bit while you transfer, add new substrate, and wait for a few hours for things to settle.

Yes, you may leave them in the 5 gallon (with an airstone) for a bit while you transfer, add new substrate, and wait for a few hours for things to settle.

will they complain that there be in a small tank with a 4 them together.

I think black sand would look nice :) Good luck!

thanks

I vote 50/50 black and white.

asabezaz.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

very pretty tank :)

Bkack would look great with your white fish. :)

ok black it then