Where do you buy your goldfish?

TwinkleToes

I'm familar with Rain Garden and East Coast Ranchu. Are there other reliable places? I'm sure some of you rescue...erm, buy.....fish at your LFS too, right? I'm a few weeks away from stocking my new tank, but I'm doing research now on what I want and where to buy.

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I couldn't quite figure out which one to ask in.

I have a couple LFS's who's fish always look good and have a good selection, so I mainly buy my fish from them. I never buy them from Petsmart,and only bought one from Petco.

I buy from the LFS because I can't afford the lovely ECR and RG fish, plus I like to get them small and watch them grow. c:

Since you have a few weeks, take a little time to get to know your local stores, franchised or not. You'll get to see what types of goldfish they keep and what shape the fish and their tanks are in, to help you decide where you might want to buy your fish.

It's not a bad idea to find out what day new stock arrives too ;)

I've bought from both Rain Garden and Dandy Orandas, but definitely prefer my LFS fish. Any fish I get from another source seems to have issues. (and eventually I lose them. I've lost both of my ordered fish.)

I have two from Wal-Mart, my brother wanted a fish and that's what started my hobby. They are still with me and have never had problems. I have two from my LPS they are still young. I'm getting good growth out of one but the other isn't growing much. He's still cute though :) Then I have my calico oranda from RG. The first one I got from them didn't make it. This guy is doing very well!! :D

I like getting mine from the LPS (I will not be going back to Wal-Mart...) and seeing them grow bigger but I also like spoiling myself with a RG fish sometimes :P I plan on looking at DO or ECR next :)

I can't afford the online fish places atm so all of my fish have come from either my local pet co or the smart pet place ;) and I couldn't love them any more :)

you just have to be a bit choosy and take a really good hard long look at the fish before committing to buy it ;)

Since you have a few weeks, take a little time to get to know your local stores, franchised or not. You'll get to see what types of goldfish they keep and what shape the fish and their tanks are in, to help you decide where you might want to buy your fish.

It's not a bad idea to find out what day new stock arrives too ;)

^ Excellent advice.

My fish have come from Petsmart, a couple of LFSs, Goldfishnet.com, Ebay (buygoldfishonline.com) and a local superstore. The ones from the superstore both died quickly, so I stopped buying from there. There's nothing wrong with Petsmart/Petco fish. They tend be smaller and less flashy, but they can grow into beauties.

The girl in the fish dept is hot.

Since I'm happily married the potential hotness of any LFS employees isn't a significant factor in my goldfish search, lol. :D

Hahaha, I'm happily married and I still love potential hotness! :rofl

I have ordered from East Coast Ranchu and besides that, I found a great aquarium store about 45 minutes from where I live. I haven't found much in my actual city that strikes my fancy, but there are many hobbyist stores that carry great fish!

I've gotten all six of mine from petsmart. My petsmart gets them in when they're so tiny. One of mine still had fry green color when I got her and I haven't had any problems with any of them. I've had the first three for about a year and the other three for a few months. You just have to make sure they look healthy in their pet store tanks. No clamped fins bottom sitting bloatyness or things like that

The girl in the fish dept is hot.

Since I'm happily married the potential hotness of any LFS employees isn't a significant factor in my goldfish search, lol. :D

Hahaha, I'm happily married and I still love potential hotness! :rofl

I have ordered from East Coast Ranchu and besides that, I found a great aquarium store about 45 minutes from where I live. I haven't found much in my actual city that strikes my fancy, but there are many hobbyist stores that carry great fish!

Are you talking about Blue Fish or Preuss Pets? We are lucky to have such great stores within driving distance.

My first two came from petco/petsmart, but they died in a week (I was very uneducated at the time). My most recent 3 have come from rain garden.

Rain garden, dandy's orandas, and east coast ranchus are really the big 3 for ordering online. There are a few others that Shawn has listed above as well.

I personally prefer a place like rain garden or east coast ranchus because you are supporting a US breeder, as opposed to a place like dandy's orandas where the fish are imported (not to say there is anything wrong with that, they have gorgeous fish, but I personally like the idea of supporting someone who is actively breeding fish).

It always good to support your local fish stores by buying there as well if you have reputable fish stores nearby with healthy fish.

Petco. The girl in the fish dept is hot. Nice fish can surely be found at chain stores but you may have to wait a while to find the perfect one.

lol, you are on a roll today :P

Petco. The girl in the fish dept is hot. Nice fish can surely be found at chain stores but you may have to wait a while to find the perfect one.

:rofl Best reason to go to Petco. Clearly you should hit her up with some fish related pick up lines.

I like to oogle goldfish and betta from the online places but I can't commit to spending that much on a fish. My oranda is from Petsmart and my ranchu is from Petco. I've had a few bad experiences with the Petco in town but luckily there's one by my husband's work that's decent, which is the store my ranchu is from.

take a little time to get to know your local stores, franchised or not.

+1 A terrific thought

Good going for planning ahead.

There are several branches of the big chains close to here. Two PSmart locations in particular (could just as easily be any chain, though) seem to work hard at keeping healthy tanks and fish. Of all the GF we've had, our most successful have come from these. Even at these two locations the selection can vary and every now and then they'll get a sick fish from a supplier. Being familiar with the stores and their tanks, it's pretty easy to tell when something's different / not right.

There's also a local branch of a smaller chain that usually has really great-looking fancies but being familiar with their tanks too, it's pretty easy to know they always have sick fish in the tanks. Almost every fish we've lost has come from here (Attention -- Slow Learner!).

Best wishes, and please keep us posted!

Petco. The girl in the fish dept is hot. Nice fish can surely be found in chain stores but you may have to wait a while to find the perfect one.

:rofl Best reason to go to Petco. Clearly you should hit her up with some fish related pick up lines.

I like to oogle goldfish and betta from the online places but I can't commit to spending that much on a fish. My oranda is from Petsmart and my ranchu is from Petco. I've had a few bad experiences with the Petco in town but luckily there's one by my husband's work that's decent, which is the store my ranchu is from.

She mentioned something about her boyfriend once. As soon as i discover that i will have to invite her to come see my pond. Maybe she will want to take a dip hahahahaha

LOL, you guys are too funny.

You know what my problem is? I'm a rescuer. I'll go in and get the sickest fish there. I can at least give it a humane death should it require that. I can't tell you how often I've paid full price for sick fish. So my going into local stores is just asking for trouble. But I'll just brace myself and look around and see how things are locally. We do have a small store that just opened that's dedicated to planted tanks so I may check with them.

Whoever suggested Craigslist, great idea. One of my parakeets is a CL rescue. I'll keep an eye out.

Lots to think about. Thanks everyone!

Between my two local stores I maybe purchase one fish every 6 months that catch my eye.

My last nine were from a local ad that included a 393 gal pond and a 60 gal tank and stand with an ac 110. I didn't want to keep them but boyfriend is a big ole softie and built a pond for them. ;)