Convincing my mum to let me get a betta tank!

CoralPeachy

I suspect your fish are small because they don't get enough to eat for growth.

I can only repeat what everyone has said -- you should have a bigger tank. Have you ever looked at acrylic tanks? They are much stronger than glass and are not likely to leak. Maybe that would reassure your mom. My husband insisted on acrylic at first because we have kids. The downside of acrylic is that it's more expensive, so perhaps you could watch for a nice used one. :)

I'm not sure about the internal filters for I don't have any but if your doing 10X filtration then it sounds like your good. I don't have a canister either but I would think you don't need one for such a small tank. Doing huge wc's is so important for the health of goldfish. So this all sounds good on what your doing.

I can only repeat what everyone has said -- you should have a bigger tank. Have you ever looked at acrylic tanks? They are much stronger than glass and are not likely to leak. Maybe that would reassure your mom. My husband insisted on acrylic at first because we have kids. The downside of acrylic is that it's more expensive, so perhaps you could watch for a nice used one. :)

She's had her two little goldfish for two years and they are only 2 inches in length. They have swim bladder issues also. CoralPeachy is learning unfortunately the hard way regarding the care of goldfish. She's young but I applaud her for coming on here and asking questions. She has upgraded from a 7g tank to a 12 I believe. So, It is still small but her Mom let her do this at least. It's a hard situation.

She's had her two little goldfish for two years and they are only 2 inches in length. They have swim bladder issues also. CoralPeachy is learning unfortunately the hard way regarding the care of goldfish. She's young but I applaud her for coming on here and asking questions. She has upgraded from a 7g tank to a 12 I believe. So, It is still small but her Mom let her do this at least. It's a hard situation.

Thanks. I read all that too and remember when she had the fish in the 5 gallon. Even if the fish have swim bladder and are small, two pellets is a very small amount of food. She said she believes they are stunted and you brought up that they could grow. I was observing that they aren't likely grow on two pellets a day. :)

Unfortunately, it's a pickle. If she feeds more, the fish would outgrow the limited space available. But they won't grow unless she can feed more.

That would reassure my mum about it leaking but then she'd still be worried that the ceiling would fall down!

At the weekend I feed bloodworms or daphnia which would be a food to help growth I think. Every time I feed them I always give them spinach so two pellets isn't all they are getting (but I suppose spinach isn't really going to make them grow).

I'm not sure about the daphnia but perhaps you can feed them bloodworms a couple times a week instead of just over the weekend. I'd still try to feed them more pellets also.

I'm not sure about the daphnia but perhaps you can feed them bloodworms a couple times a week instead of just over the weekend. I'd still try to feed them more pellets also.

Ok, I'll do that and fit in some morning feeds!

Are you working in US gallons or imperial gallons? US gallons are smaller than imperial. 29 imperial are 130 litres, whereas US would be 110, taking about 20kg off the total weight. Sorry if that's a bit confusing, lol. I find most people in the UK think of imperial gallons automatically, but taking care of fish I've starting thinking in US gallons haha. I did have a link to a 29 US gallon (without a hood) new for around £50 but I can't find it now.

If asking your mum about a new tank, try saying 24 gallons (the equivalent) rather than 29. Also try to have a tank of that size against an outside wall, the wood around these are generally stronger, and I think you can use a board of wood to spread the weight out. You could also decorate the tank to match the style of the house. I have a dad who doesn't really like big tanks, but me and mum kinda sneaked it in :whistle

Hun, I think your feeding is low, BUT please watch your parameters if you feed more. In a small tank, that little bit of extra food could affect water quality quickly. Also, realize that if you feed more, they could grow, and you are telling us that you can't get a bigger tank.

Are you working in US gallons or imperial gallons? US gallons are smaller than imperial. 29 imperial are 130 litres, whereas US would be 110, taking about 20kg off the total weight. Sorry if that's a bit confusing, lol. I find most people in the UK think of imperial gallons automatically, but taking care of fish I've starting thinking in US gallons haha. I did have a link to a 29 US gallon (without a hood) new for around £50 but I can't find it now.

If asking your mum about a new tank, try saying 24 gallons (the equivalent) rather than 29. Also try to have a tank of that size against an outside wall, the wood around these are generally stronger, and I think you can use a board of wood to spread the weight out. You could also decorate the tank to match the style of the house. I have a dad who doesn't really like big tanks, but me and mum kinda sneaked it in :whistle

When I talk in gallons I'm doing us gallons not imperial. On you tube and here that's what's used so that's what I think in now! And yeah, I'll try what you said.

Hun, I think your feeding is low, BUT please watch your parameters if you feed more. In a small tank, that little bit of extra food could affect water quality quickly. Also, realize that if you feed more, they could grow, and you are telling us that you can't get a bigger tank.

I'll keep an eye on that and test the water three times a week.