Sign in to follow this  
LouiseAnn

Pond vs Tank

Hi all, I hope im in the correct place. Its my 1st post.

I have a large tank 450l. I recently went pond hunting and found out that most medium sized ponds are about 450l. My question is why do ponds need less filtration than indoor tanks, and why do fish grow faster in a pond?

I would personally find a pond of that size to be pointless but in general I think ponds need less turnover because the filters are often bigger, they get more sunlight for bigger plants, and being outside, it is much easier for a more complete "ecosystem" to establish. The fish get more direct sunlight and they also get a buffet of bugs and algae. Im sure I'm forgetting things but I got stung in the face last night and I'm not feeling that great hahahah.

I would personally find a pond of that size to be pointless but in general I think ponds need less turnover because the filters are often bigger, they get more sunlight for bigger plants, and being outside, it is much easier for a more complete "ecosystem" to establish. The fish get more direct sunlight and they also get a buffet of bugs and algae. Im sure I'm forgetting things but I got stung in the face last night and I'm not feeling that great hahahah.

Stung by what? Ouch!

I would say that a 450 gallon pond would be a medium sized pond. Where did you hear that 450l is a med sized pond?

Edited by bodoba

450L is still a good starting size pond, or a good size if you're limited to space or just want a small pond. Mines 500L and I wouldn't have gone any bigger to be honest :)

Call it big or small who cares. I am interested in peoples responses to the question, as I have wondered this myself.

Oh but 450L is tiny hahahaha :)

The reason why they need less filtration is because they generally have a larger surface area than tanks and the greater volume equals a more stable pH (generally) and oxygen saturation (again generally). The most of the filtration bacteria will be on the liner or interior walls of the pond.

Ponds are also usually over planted and because they are Outdoors there is usually a plethora of bacteria and insects available to consume waste that we don't know about, the Microsystems of ponds I'm sure are very complex.

Generally, a small pond is under 1000 gallons. 450l is a minipond, LOL. I assume this was the "medium size" of preformed ponds at the shopping location.

The main advantages of a pond over an aquarium, IMO are

larger surface area to volume ratio,

more complex ecosystem,

availability of live natural food, and

superior filtration.

The filtration is superior because the standard size for a filter for a pond is 1/10 the pond volume. I suspect you do not have a 45 l filter for your aquarium.

The filtration is also superior because the pump that collects the water for filtration is at one end of the pond and the filter is at the other end. So you have a flow of water from the filter outlet to the pump, and the pump is located to pick up the dirtiest water and send it to the filter.

Even further, biofiltration is superior because the entire underwater surface of a pond is covered with a biofilm of microorganisms (much like what grows in the filter) that also purify water. This biofilm would make the glass of an aquarium opaque, so it isn't allowed to form. What good is an aquarium if you can't see the fish? :)

I suspect what you really want to know is why you have less turnover per hour of the water in a pond than in an aquarium. The reason is the mini filters in the aquarium have so little surface area for microbes to grow, that water must pass through repeatedly for adequate biofiltration. The manufacturers of aquarium filters have figured out the relationship between the size of the filter and the turnover required to make them efficient. Since the pump and filter are separate units in a pond system, you have to decide what size of filter and power of pump you need.

The situation is that the longer the water to be filtered is in contact with the bio-medium, the more complete the biofiltration. One the other hand, the slower the turnover rate, the longer water sits in the pond between passes

Fortunately, pond people have come up with very good guidelines, based on theory and experiment, for relating the size of a external upflow biofilter to the size of the pond, and the flow rate of the pump to give optimum filtration, given appropriate stocking levels. This is between one half and two times the volume per hour. For a 450 l pond, this would be 225 to 900 lph. However, the flow rate claimed for a pump is with no resistance whatsoever. That is, if the pump is put in the water and turned on, that is the rate the water comes out of the pump. In a real pond situation, the water goes through a hose, up out of the pond, and further up through filter media. So if you measure the rate at which the water comes out of the filter, it will be about half the rate claimed on the box. That is the reason I recommend a pump with a claimed lph of 2 times the volume of the pump. One more "however." In my experience, the very low power pumps are typically junk, so I wouldn't recommend a pump of less than ~750 lph.

You can make a pond any size you want! Much better to use a flexible pond liner and just make the pond as large as you can handle.

For me, there would be no point to a pond the same size as my tank. If it's the same size I'd rather have them indoors where they are safe (there is always risk w/ a pond from predators).

In contrast to Pawsplus, I strongly advocate a container for a first pond. But the preformed ponds are really difficult to set level so I prefer a stock tank as a container. Take a look at Narny's nice new pond.

In contrast to Pawsplus, I strongly advocate a container for a first pond. But the preformed ponds are really difficult to set level so I prefer a stock tank as a container. Take a look at Narny's nice new pond.

Same reason why advocate a barebottom tank without substrate for someone starting out with goldfish. :)

Stung by what? Ouch!

I got attacked by a swarm of the big fuzzy black and yellow bumble bees!

Stung by what? Ouch!
I got attacked by a swarm of the big fuzzy black and yellow bumble bees!

Are these the bumblebee look alike killer bees? :o

I hope you're alright.

(I'm allergic to bee stings. :o)

Are these the bumblebee look alike killer bees? :o

I hope you're alright.

(I'm allergic to bee stings. :o)

They looked like these. Im fine but one side of my face was a bit swollen for 2 days and I slept terribly. On top of that, I got a ticket, pulled my hamstring playing soccer, and kinked up my back lifting a 5 gallon of bucket of water over my head when doing a water change in the 40 gallon in my bedroom. Awful two days but it can only get better.

https://www.google.com/search?q=killer+bee+picture&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=dNMYUuqUF6fP2QW4iIHIDw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=929#fp=53198d8a687aacf1&q=bumble+bee+picture&tbm=isch

Man, I'm sorry. That's rough!

thank you for all your posts! It took me a while to figure my way around from my android tab to get back and see who replied O_o I think Im going to put a free standing 'pond' outside first (the alleged Medium pond from aquaworld) see how my babies go. Then when I feel like I know what I want ill dig one out :)

That is a good idea. Id like to suggest turning a pond that size over around 3 or 4 times an hour. I think the once an hour is geared towards bigger ponds, with bigger filters. Please ask if you have more questions. There are folks on here who have done ponds that size and love to talk ponds all day!

Even tho a small pond the same size as your large tank there are a few advantages.

One the pond will usually have a larger surface area and because ponds are usually only viewed from above a film of good carpet algae grows on the sides and bottom of pond.

The same can occur in a tank but because its all glass its unsightly and means you cant see the fish. So we scrub/scrape ir all off.

Also being outside we can get away with noisy airratting watetfalls etc.

And all the bugs etc and uv light etc.

Im in the middle of building several above ground portable ponds around 500L. Great for grow out ponds etc.