Sign in to follow this  
kaylaj2355

Weighing fish/food

Hey guys! I have a couple questions regarding food.

I bought a kitchen scale to weigh my fish but have not had the nerve to actually do it yet! I'm terrified that my biggest guy, Mike Doyle, will flop right out of the bowl onto the floor.

Of course, I also don't want to overfeed them. Or traumatize them with too much handling xD

I guess what I wonder is if anyone has a fish close to the size of mine that they have weighed and can share the weight. Of course I know it won't be accurate for mine, but .1gram, 10 grams, 100 grams...I have no concept of these measurements! I'm reading the pinned post about food weights by brand and I feed Repashy so I think that thread will help me eyeball it.

My ryukin (Mike Doyle) is the size of a tennis ball, plus nose and fins. Any idea, even generally, what a fish this size might weigh?

Alternatively my black moor is very skinny. 2.5" long or so but no belly curve. I wonder if I should be feeding him more.

Is there any good way to guesstimate the amount you'd need to feed without weighing them individually?

To get an accurate weight, you will have to actually weigh out the fish. Each fish is 100% unique, and fish of similar size will not always weigh the same due to the little quirks that make them unique.

1/2 gallon ice cream tubs and mixing bowls are both good options for weighing larger fish or active fish, as they can be easily covered with a lid or filled only enough to accommodate the fish without giving them room to jump. :)

There is a formula to guesstimate, but why bother when you can know exactly?

do you think you can weigh your fish like this? you can use a bigger tub & more water if you like :)

I'm such a paranoid penny, forgive me xD I have horrid visions of Mike flopping all over the floor :rofl

I am going to try it. -confident- I am going to move a table over to the tank and do it just like the video. Thanks to you both! The ice cream bucket makes me feel much more confident as well. I was picturing a bowl with curved sides and just...too much room for floppage!

Judging from how much the cutie in the video weighed out to...I think I might be underfeeding!

just be sure that when you put your hands around your fish, you keep them there for about 10 seconds or longer so the fish is comfortable with you. i regularly handle my fish, be it to weigh them or to just muck around with them in the tank... they get excited when the hand lunges into their home & super excited when it chases them a little :rofl they're like eeeee! oooooh! ruuuuuuun! :rofl

also, remember to leave enough room in the tub for your hands, otherwise you will spill water everywhere ;)

Mine like to play with my hands as well... it gets pretty crazy when I am trying hard to clean something and they decide it is now time to play tag.

One of these days I'm going to have to pick up a scale. For now, I just put in enough food for them to gobble up in a minute or less for my Oranda's. My Pearlscale and Black Moor in my other tank it will take them a an extra minute to eat or so. I feed them at least twice a day if not three smaller meals.

Haha maybe mine won't even mind...they are hand-fed and generally don't leave me alone at all when I'm doing anything in their tank xD "There she is! Headbutt her hand! Do it again!"

One of these days I'm going to have to pick up a scale. For now, I just put in enough food for them to gobble up in a minute or less for my Oranda's. My Pearlscale and Black Moor in my other tank it will take them a an extra minute to eat or so. I feed them at least twice a day if not three smaller meals.

Aha, this is kind of what I try to do! I just feed them multiple times a day if I can. I am so curious to find out how much I am "actually" supposed to be feeding mine to see if I'm even close!

Aha, this is kind of what I try to do! I just feed them multiple times a day if I can. I am so curious to find out how much I am "actually" supposed to be feeding mine to see if I'm even close!

That's how I get at times also. *curious* But then I sometimes think if I get a scale and measure out the food, how do I know I'm not underfeeding them? I know it's mentioned to feed X percentage of food to what the fish weighs. Who says this? I don't know! I'm not convinced I guess.

Like my dog for instance it says to feed x amount of food for her according to the dog brand and package. I feel like she's hungry still and so I usually (when I feed her and not my daughter) will give her 1/4 cup more then what the package says. But with that said, You have the scale. You should see how much your fish weighs and see how much food you should be feeding them. I'm curious to see results. Before you find out you should pull out your measurements of what you'd feed your fish and set it aside to compare what the scale tells you.

Ooh that's a great idea to compare! I love it. That's the stuff I wouldn't think of until too late! :D

Dog food is confusing to me :rofl I have a 90 lb pit bull and everyone likes to tell me how much they think he should be fed. My friend's mastiff eats eight cups of food a day...my pit bull eats two :) I think my dog food bag tells me to give him six cups. He is a weird dog though and doesn't like food much xD He eats his two cups per day and I don't think he would eat more even if I tried. I often have to remind him to eat his dinner and he rarely eats breakfast until around 1PM.

He wouldn't come in from the back yard for me once so I tried tempting him with a STEAK. An amazing, dripping, delicious looking steak. He could not have cared less! :rofl

That's funny about the steak. If I liked steak I'd come in your house from your backyard. ha ha

I can't think of the name of our dog food but it's an expensive brand and it says to feed our small 20 pd dog 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups a day. We feed her 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening. She was about 1 1/2 pds over weight so over a few months she lost that extra weight. Now I'm having a hard time still feeding her only 1 cup a day that's why it's a bit more now. I don't want her to "always" being on the hungry side. I'd hate for her to go to sleep hungry at night. :(

Let us know about what you feed your fish and what the scale says and show us your fish. I'd like to know please. :)

Ok I weigh my fish today it was 42 gram.i have 8 fish all together so do I miltipy 42 tes 8 equal times .02 percent.

I'd hate for her to go to sleep hungry at night.

Thanks for the depressing visual 4prettyfish. Your statement just made me picture a sad little puppy face in the same way i see the starving children on charity commercials.

Edited by sonny.barile

Ok I weigh my fish today it was 42 gram.i have 8 fish all together so do I miltipy 42 tes 8 equal times .02 percent.

Unless all of your fish weigh 42 grams, it would be best to weigh all of them. If not, you run the gambit of overfeeding.

Sent from Tapatalk.

As someone who used to squeal and jump through the roof when a fish touched me during water changes, I completely understand that reluctance to weigh them. But it's not that difficult, I promise! If I can do it, you definitely can! And it's so worth it - I was drastically underfeeding before I weighed my fish, and they have grown and become more vibrant since I changed that!

I was the same as linzi squeeling and jumping when the fish touched me. I was terrified when I weighed my fish.. I made sure that where I did it was a large counter/table. I put the scale and fish in the middle of the counter or table so that if they jumped/flopped out it wouldn't be all the way to the floor. For my larger fish I used both hands and I give them a few seconds to calm down in my hand before lifting them out. They will fight a bit but they will realize you're not going to hurt them.

It's a joy to see the numbers rise over the months as they grow! My big one baby just reach 100 g and I was celebrating like it was a little birthday! :P it really is worth it not only to get an idea of how much to feed but you can see if they are growing well or not!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2