At what pH do you keep your tanks?

Our tapwater has a fairly high pH, is it ok to keep goldfish at 7.8 or 8? having a background in community freshwater fish, I find this really high...

what is the recomended range for goldfish and at what pH do you keep your tanks? (I'm asking because I've found conflicting information when looking around myself. And I'd rather listen to you guys at this point.)

If your pH is stable at where it is, then it's fine. Goldfish will be fine from 7.0 to around 8.3. You'll find that buffers made for goldfish (seachem gold buffer, for example) will increase the pH to around these sorts of levels. You can often run into fluctuation problems trying to alter your pH

My tap pH will register 7.4 and 7.8 depending on the time of year (no clue why) but my tank sat around 8.2 with a buffer that I was dosing for KH. Now my pond sits at 8.0 and is stable without a buffer, which is perfectly suitable for goldfish

Yes that is perfectly fine, as long as it is stable. I have low GH and KH in my tap so, if left not buffered it will crash to 6.0. :o I use crushed coral in my filter to keep the pH at 7.6.

Our tapwater has a fairly high pH, is it ok to keep goldfish at 7.8 or 8? having a background in community freshwater fish, I find this really high...

what is the recomended range for goldfish and at what pH do you keep your tanks? (I'm asking because I've found conflicting information when looking around myself. And I'd rather listen to you guys at this point.)

Our suggestion has always been that it's always best to have a STABLE pH (high kH) rather than trying to match it to any ideal. :)