Sign in to follow this  
Zinedane

A Big Stocking Question! Help!

Well, Good evening fellas currently my question is about stocking. As all of you guys know, i have a 30 Gallon Cycled Tank with a Powerfilter/Top Filter that only has one inhabitant. My 1" Ryukin (I think?) but currently the problem is that one Goldfish in my brothers Fishpond is getting bullied i guess by his Koi Fish, as one died earlier today. I actually know the problem is that he is overstocked in his pond, well yeah the reason for that is he doesn't listen to me so i always leave him be. but right now i feel very sorry for the Goldfish that's left in the Pond, an orange Oranda so i wanted to put it in my tank but i don't know if i'll be overstocked or not. Any suggestions guys? I pretty much need suggestions before i want to take any action.

How large is the Oranda?

I think they would be okay temporarily, but when your ryukin starts to grow it would probably get kinda cramped.

I believe 30g would be the minimum for two fancy goldfish. But you may want to get input from some other more experienced folks, I'm still kinda new.

I believe 30g would be the minimum for two fancy goldfish. But you may want to get input from some other more experienced folks, I'm still kinda new.

Alright :) anyways, thanks so much for answering my question. still kinda puzzled though if i'll be overstocked.

It will be fine for a while but I would look for a bigger tank if possible. It won't be good in a couple years.

Edited by DieselPlower

Are you 100% certain the pond fish died as a result of bullying and not something else?

Considering the size of the fish, it is doable in a 30 gallon tank for the short term. You will, though, definitely want to keep an eye on your water parameters and perform regular water changes.

How come all of you have the same avatar? :rofl J/K

I agree with the advice given...just feeling silly this morning. :goodluck

Sometimes conformity is the best type of nonconformity and individuality. :rofl

Sometimes conformity is the best type of nonconformity and individuality. :rofl

I have, and shall always be a rebel at heart! :Beware:

Thanks all for Answering my Question! I don't know for certain though if i'll be upgrade sooner or later that's why i'm not really confident in housing both of them in the 30 Gallon. and Dan, I think so. well that's what my brother says. Do Koi really pick on Goldfish? because as far as i've been taking my time and observing the fish in the Pond. It's still a 50/50 between it's the Koi or they are just plain sick as the fish that suddenly died seemed to have problems.

Edited by Zinedane

Well, maybe the best solution would be to continue on observing the fish right? i'm also kinda afraid to house the Oranda in the 30G as it may pass on some disease to my Ryukin. :(

Thanks all for Answering my Question! I don't know for certain though if i'll be upgrade sooner or later that's why i'm not really confident in housing both of them in the 30 Gallon. and Dan, I think so. well that's what my brother says. Do Koi really pick on Goldfish? because as far as i've been taking my time and observing the fish in the Pond. It's still a 50/50 between it's the Koi or they are just plain sick as the fish that suddenly died seemed to have problems.

Unless you have tangible evidence for the koi bullying the goldfish, I think it is best not to jump to conclusions. How large is the pond?

Well, maybe the best solution would be to continue on observing the fish right? i'm also kinda afraid to house the Oranda in the 30G as it may pass on some disease to my Ryukin. :(

Sorry I didn't see this post. I think the best course of action would be to observe them first. If there is, in fact, bullying, then you can separate them. Were the pond fish ever subjected to a quarantine treatment?

Edited by dan in aus

Unless you have tangible evidence for the koi bullying the goldfish, I think it is best not to jump to conclusions. How large is the pond?

Sorry I didn't see this post. I think the best course of action would be to observe them first. If there is, in fact, bullying, then you can separate them. Were the pond fish ever subjected to a quarantine treatment?

Alright :) , I guess roughly 50 Gallons? it's kind of small. that's why i told my brother that he's quite overstocked but he doesn't listen. so Oh well.

and no i don't think so that the Oranda has been quarantined in the past. but i don't see him showing any signs of infection or what not, even the Koi look healthy, I leave everything in the pond up to my brother.

You should definitely observe longer, because to keep your ryukin safe you'd want to quarantine the oranda before they were put together. Slipped my mind at first, sorry.

You should definitely observe longer, because to keep your ryukin safe you'd want to quarantine the oranda before they were put together. Slipped my mind at first, sorry.

Alright! That's what i was thinking too. I'm quite afraid that if i put the Oranda in the 30g, My Ryukin will also be put at risk and sadly too though i don't have a QT. don't quite have the Funds to buy equipment and what not.

Edited by Zinedane

You can do qt in a container, like a sterilite. Maybe just put a few dollars aside each week..it can be done inexpensively. Do you have listings where you live for people looking to get rid of equipment cheap? Something like craigs list we have here?

You can do qt in a container, like a sterilite. Maybe just put a few dollars aside each week..it can be done inexpensively. Do you have listings where you live for people looking to get rid of equipment cheap? Something like craigs list we have here?

I'll try to look for one, all the containers I see here are Plastic and i'm afraid that it may leak harmful substances to the water, and sadly No we don't have something like Craigslist here locally. Anyways i'll observe the Oranda for a while. Thank you all for answering my Question! :)

Edited by Zinedane

?

?

?

I'll try to look for one, all the containers I see here are Plastic and i'm afraid that it may leak harmful substances to the water, and sadly No we don't have something like Craigslist here locally. Anyways i'll observe the Oranda for a while. Thank you all for answering my Question! :)

as long as the container says it is food safe it should be ok

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

as long as the container says it is food safe it should be ok

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Alright, Thanks! i'll try to search for one when i have some funds. :) it'll be a pretty useful QT.

Edited by Zinedane

50 gal is too small for koi. They have very specific pond needs with the minimum size being 1000 gal. That fish most likely died from compiling disease and parasites due to water quality. If your brother doesn't listen there isn't much yu can do.

Definitely qt your fish. You can start a thread and we will help you through the process. :)

As your fish grow larger watch the nitrates. If they get too high you will need to be doing two or three large water changes a week instead of one large weekly. The other option is to get a larger tank, you could also be fine. It depends on the growth of the fish and the quality of their water. :)

Alright :) , I guess roughly 50 Gallons? it's kind of small. that's why i told my brother that he's quite overstocked but he doesn't listen. so Oh well.

and no i don't think so that the Oranda has been quarantined in the past. but i don't see him showing any signs of infection or what not, even the Koi look healthy, I leave everything in the pond up to my brother.

Unfortunately 50 gallons is not an adequate size to house koi and goldfish. Koi can grow quite large, although they do emit a growth inhibiting hormone. Realistically, the koi would be better off in an exponentially larger body of water (the general consensus on here is 300 gallons per koi with 1000 gallons minimum). However, if you've already told him and he has refused to listen, then there's not a lot that can be done about it unfortunately.

This thread is in similar vain to yours.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/112854-just-curious/

Oops, Una posted whilst I was distracted.

Good luck! And thanks for looking out for the oranda. :)

Thank you! :) I hope everything will work out though.

Hi! It's great you're concerned about your brother's fish including Oranda. I'm really worried about the Oranda too. Of course, protect your Ryukin's health above all.

imo the Oranda is at way bigger risk in its present location than from any possible chemical exposure from a temporary container, which is a remote risk at worst and hypothetical at best.

My understanding is that GF are best not kept with Koi unless in very understocked conditions with lots and lots of room. iirc Koi bully the GF and compete for food to the GF's disadvantage.

If you can get any plastic storage bin like Rubbermaid or Sterilite at least 100 liters/30 US quarts or larger, grab it to use as a temporary/QT! If you're willing to do the water changes (basically, daily), all you'd need at first to rescue the Oranda is the empty container. I'm right there with you about the funds btw.

GF do like and thrive with having another GF for company -- a healthy eventual tankmate for your Ryukin, likely both will be very happy. Although it's the smallest tank that would be recommended, 29 gallons is very safe for two fancy GF. Of course water quality has to be monitored but this is true of any tank. Likely the 29 gallon tank will be big enough for quite a long time. Some say, fish grow somewhat more slowly if they're in a small-ish container, so that should help here.

If you decide to rescue the Oranda, quarantine her/him at least 4 weeks and preferably 8 weeks NO MATTER WHAT. If you'd like to rescue him, do it at the very earliest possible moment you can manage!

Nothing like Craigslist where you are (Phillippines?)? Let's start a business! CL has succeeded very well here.

Edited by Steve1107