Sign in to follow this  
blubblubblub

Why is my water so dirty?!

I'm confused. I used to have crystal clear water before and after water changes, then the last few weeks no matter what I do the water is gross (with floaty food/poo bits, not bacteria/algae bloom)

>55g, 4 fish under 2 inches, AC110 (500gph), AC70(300gph), Eheim Ecco Pro 2236(185gph) = total 985gph :ill <-- fish fever

>AC's have extra media, biological and mechanical

>The last month they are fed NLS twice a day, finished within 2 mins, frozen bloodworms once or twice a week.

>W/C 80% twice a week and params are all 0% with ammonia going max 0.25

>Filters were being cleaned every 3 weeks but now more often.. even after cleaning tubes/media/plastic compartments/intake it still sputters poo/food out when restarted :madrant(In fact AC70 and Eheim are both new from this week since my AC50 and Topfin20-haha.. both died last week)

Is it the impeller area? Is it the Caribsea instant TMS I added June 19th? AC70 was added last Friday and today there wasn't any difference in the appearance of the water, installed the Eheim today so I will let you know tomorrow if there's a difference. I was thinking of adding filter floss.. but besides that what do you think is going on and what can I do?

What kind of media do you have in the ACs now?

I have the biomedia and sponge thingies it comes with, but have gone through 2 AC50's before that so had extra that I added in there. No carbon.

When I read your title the first thing that came to my mind was that you lost your beneficial bacteria. What your describing sounds like what happened to me over 6 months ago or so. (around that time, maybe) But you say your param reading are coming back 0. Is your water cloudy and milky looking? How's your fish acting?

Added: I lost my bb because I rinsed all my media a little bit too good.

Edited by 4prettyfish

I use floss in mine -- sponge, floss then rings on top. But I've never thought of my water as crystal clear. :idont

Oh my water was so crystal clear from the get go of fish keeping. Then one day it was disgusting. I'd go look down the side of the tank and couldn't really see all that clear what was on the other side. Alex helped me out for like 5 weeks I think to get my tanks both on track. A couple of my fish were not doing too hot where I had to put them in a qt for a few days while we were sorting things out. I was doing wc like crazy.

If interested my topic is in the water quality section saying: Water milky/gunky. Something like that. It's on page 3. I'm not sure how to post link here. (it might not be your bb though)

Edited by 4prettyfish

How much do they eat in that 2 minutes? My fish would gorge themselves in that period of time, and poop big time afterwards. You seem to be doing everything else right, so I suspect overfeeding.

The only thing that comes to mind is your mechanical filtration must be lacking.....if you are seeing floating bits of food/poo and assuming it is getting picked up and spit back out, then it is going past the sponge barrier perhaps (where it should be stopped) and coming back into the tank. Have you watched the return for any length of time to see if this is the case? I am assuming you have cleaned your intake tubes too?

Have you changed anything with the setup? Personally I rinse my mechanical media weekly to get rid of all that debris that is caught on the filter padding. A tank like you describe should be picking it all up within a couple of hours and if not then thats the only thing I can think of but maybe others will have better ideas.

Take a good look at how the water is flowing in and out of the AC's :)

Edited by CindiL

Well at first I wasn't washing the sponges that well for fear of losing the cycle. Then when the water started getting dirty and staying that way I started cleaning it better since there was still the biomedia for the cycle (all rinsed in tank water and never the same week). Water isn't cloudy or white though.. that's why I didn't think it was bacteria or algae.. and parameters are perfect so what the pearlscale is going on! :wacko:

Hmm.. yes cleaned intake tubes.. Well.. I havent actually been able to see them eat ALL the time because I've had to have my dad feed them since I'm currently in a weird living situation and not able to be with my babies all the time :( I will show him how he feeds them to see if he's overfeeding .. I dont know we will see.. I had showed him how much and to soak it before.. and he even said he forgot a couple times. Will update on Eheim and dad tomorrow. Think I'll pick up some filter floss too. Was trying to spread out the purchases a bit but frustrates me more to have spend money on good filters and still have poo everywhere (oh yeah all over the sand too).

the intake tubes go down enough also, right?

Stop feeding new life spectrum for a few days.

Swap to something else.

Nls is a great food. But I found after continual useethe tank looked a bit murky and had a slight smell.

I now mix it up and feed it once a day but only every second day. Unless I want to put some size on my fish.

Do a water change and stop using nls for a few days and see if that fixes it.

I noticed that you appear not to have any finer mechanical filtration such as those provided by filter floss or filter padding. You might need that.

I noticed that you appear not to have any finer mechanical filtration such as those provided by filter floss or filter padding. You might need that.

Yes, it was on my list but I'll get it tomorrow :) Odd then how it used to be clear without it?

Hmm.. yes cleaned intake tubes.. Well.. I havent actually been able to see them eat ALL the time because I've had to have my dad feed them since I'm currently in a weird living situation and not able to be with my babies all the time :( I will show him how he feeds them to see if he's overfeeding .. I dont know we will see.. I had showed him how much and to soak it before.. and he even said he forgot a couple times. Will update on Eheim and dad tomorrow. Think I'll pick up some filter floss too. Was trying to spread out the purchases a bit but frustrates me more to have spend money on good filters and still have poo everywhere (oh yeah all over the sand too).

lol I meant to say I will watch how he feeds them*

the intake tubes go down enough also, right?

I just lowered them last week.. all 3 maybe 5-6 inches away from sand?

Stop feeding new life spectrum for a few days.

Swap to something else.

Nls is a great food. But I found after continual useethe tank looked a bit murky and had a slight smell.

I now mix it up and feed it once a day but only every second day. Unless I want to put some size on my fish.

Do a water change and stop using nls for a few days and see if that fixes it.

Ahh interesting. Its NLS gf formula btw. I wanted to stop that anyways because it makes their white areas look yellow. I was going to order Hikari lionhead and Repashy soilent green but that would take a while to arrive. When everyone here says Omega one are they talking about the regular pellets at the LFS?

The NLS, as blackmoors said, can be quite messy (ANOTHER indicator that it really doesn't need pre-soaking), so the finer filter pads may be required. :)

Cant take any pics now but here's one from this evening. The 3rd intake is same height on the other side. Dots are just air bubbles bc I blasted the flow for a while and blurriness is biofilm on tank and light reflection from room y6FJKTD.jpg

I'm sorry if this was asked before. When did you last rinse the sponge?

^2 weeks ago I think. Put in AC70 on friday so all those are new and brand new eheim today. Noticed sponges are already red w bloodworm blood, black w sand :tantrum

*usually I do w/c every 3 days or so..

Edited by blubblubblub

Turn off your filters while you are feeding messy things like blood worms. That way the fish can eat them all without them being sucked up the filter.

(That's not related to the problem at hand, but I thought I'd mention it while I am at it.) :)

Good idea.. but I'm a little afraid to turn them off because I've had 2 AC50s and a smaller filter blow out on me in the last 3 months (all lasted 1-3 months). I was going to make another thread about what could have went wrong and general tips for proper filter maintenance. Lady at LFS said they dont like to be repeatedly turned off and on which I did for feeding and w/c for the first broken AC. I'm scared :blink:

That's fine...you know how the intake tubes have to fit over the impeller housing to pull water? I think you can just lift that up, so that it's actually not sucking in water, while the filter is still running with water inside. I am not sure, though, so someone more mechanically inclined that I am should speak up, please. :)

I've been turning off my filters several times a week for at least one hour at a time. The oldest filter has been running for as long as I've started keeping goldfish again almost 5 years ago. :)

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I had trouble with icky water back in December. Adding a few filter padding sheets to each filter really helped. :)

A decently cheap solution for filter pads is deep blue filter pads on kensfish.com, you have to cut them but it's. good price.

A decently cheap solution for filter pads is deep blue filter pads on kensfish.com, you have to cut them but it's a good price.

Also, the Marineland Rite Size (cut to fit) padding is super cheap and you can get it at Petsmart, Petco etc. It has both a macro and micro side for finer particles. My water pretty much stays crystal clear except for when I'm changing out tank water and after that it clears up again in an hour or two and I can only tell its not clear from the side of the tank right after a water change because the eco complete has been stirred up so much.
Since you're cycled, it is alright to rinse your mechanical media more often when its gunked up, like weekly, just alternate the days, that will help also.

The Omega One people mention is Omega One small goldfish pellets that you can get at the pet stores locally. I feed that everyday (along with Saki Hikari purple goldfish bag) and it doesn't mess my water up at all. I soak for only about a minute before feeding.

Edited by CindiL