Fish are constipated, trouble swimming

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank) <0.25 (I always get this reading; pretty sure it's a slight false positive)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0.00 ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5 - 10 ppm
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 1.00 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0.00 ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0.00 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2 (didn't test GH or KH, I have hard water)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2

• Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * Water temperature? 78 F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gal, running for 1 year
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AquaClear 200 x2
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 100%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Friday 8/16, 100%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish, each 5" - 6"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? so far just peas and Soilent Green, minimal amounts
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? these are all new as of 8/16
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I started 1 round of Prazi on Friday, and they are at 0.2% salt. These are new fish, they came from DO so they were QT'd there as well.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? some frayed fins, but pretty sure that was from travel stress
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? the big oranda is butt-floaty, and often flips upside down while swimming

My 3 new fish from Dandy Orandas are all having thin, stringy poops, and I haven't really seen the oranda poop at all yet. I think he's constipated and that's what's causing his floating/flipping issues. I contacted Ken at DO, and he said the fish definitely wasn't like that before, and that sometimes it can take them a few days to recover from shipping. It's been 4 days now and he hasn't changed. I'm concerned about him not pooping.

Here's a video of the flipping:

I was thinking of maybe putting a divider in the tank so when I check on them in the morning I can see if he pooped or not. It's too hard to tell with 3 of them in the tank (and they enjoy eating it...) :Dont-Believe:

I'm glad you contacted Ken. He's a great guy, and very helpful! :)

For now, I think the idea of a divider is quite good for the reasons you listed. I actually would like for you to fast him, unless you can't stand it and have to give him something. In that case, give him a small amount of green beans, Ken's favorite laxative method for goldfish. Frozen cooked is fine, but you can also use unsalted.

Ask Ken what he has been eating at DO, and I would hold off on the soilent green for now.

Let's monitor his case for the next few days. :)

Another day, and let's do green beans tomorrow. :)

How is Mr. Oranda doing?

He's the same. He doesn't seem to be in any distress, which is good. When he gets upside down he'll float along that way for a few seconds and then right himself. Roughly how many beans should I feed him? I've never had a fish this big before. O.o

He's bottom-sitting now, which he hadn't done before. :( Possibly because I have him separated so he doesn't have a ton of room to swim around, but it's still worrying me. I found long, stringy white/clear poop this morning. I didn't get a chance to email Ken last night, I will do so now. They've been fasted for 48 hours now, I'll give them some green beans in a bit.

Here is Ken's reply:

Candice,

I'm sorry to hear this news. I was confident the fish would straighten out. The fish was fed a mix of fully moistened Omega Sea pellets (moistened, then put in the fridge to fully hydrate, so they are like soft meatballs, not just wetted on the outside), plus frozen brine shrimp for many months. The last 3 months that diet included the same things, but I started feeding primarily soilent green and have found that I like that even more. So, only wet foods.
Ken

I just fed them some green beans. The oranda's appetite is good and he gets excited when I come up to the tank. But otherwise I catch him bottom-sitting.

Let's try the wet foods that he's suggesting. Then, let's ask him once more in a couple days what to do, based on what's going on, and then we take it from there.

The reason I am doing this is that it's always good to get the seller's input when the fish first arrived, and Ken is pretty good with this sort of thing. Ask him what he thinks is going on as well.

Hang in there. :)

(You have Metro-Meds, right?)

In other news, it's interesting that the Repashy stuff has hit the world of goldfish by storm. I'm proud to say that we were among the very first. :)

Hi Candice,

How is your oranda doing?

Hi Alex,

He is still swimming the same, with the flipping over thing, but he's not bottom-sitting anymore, which is a relief. When he's not swimming around he's perfectly capable of staying upright in the water, it's when he swims downward that he has trouble. I've been feeding them Soilent Green; tonight I gave them some frozen brine shrimp (they're so tiny, how do the fish even eat them? lol). He seems perfectly happy and healthy aside from his little swimming issue. He had at least one good poop that I saw. I think he's still having some stringy stuff too but it seems like less than before.

Ken thinks that it's from the shipping, since he was fine before that. He said usually they get over it in a few days, occasionally it can take weeks, and some never get back to normal. I'm thinking the altitude change in the airplane messed up his swim bladder somehow. :(

Edited by fishtankbabe

I'm sorry that he hasn't fully recovered, but that he at least has regained much control! :)

Thanks :) His swimming has actually been the same since I got him out of the box. I really hope that he eventually recovers completely, but even if he doesn't, his quality of life is still good and it shouldn't affect him too much. He is absolutely the sweetest, most adorable fish I've ever had and I wouldn't trade him for anything. :wub: