Sign in to follow this  
SomethingSmellsFishy

Elderly Friendly Water Changer?

The Python should be friendly, I think. :)

A small pond pump is also good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

A Python or Aqueon will clean the gravel if the water changer is drained using the faucet, if the water pressure is good enough. Mine won't do it. If I can get it started to drain out the window, I can vacuum with it. I can't vacuum with the pond pump. It's very easy to do a water change with them, but the vacuuming part isn't always easy.

Another option is the ditch the gravel for something easier to clean, such as sand, bare bottom or some scattered stones.

I agree with ShawneeRiver about the barebottom. That would make the work so much easier to do. I have the aqueon and it's nice. :)

I always prefer sand over barebottom ;) , but both are better than gravel. Gravel is very dirty.

I love my Python. I think it is the best invention for water changes, it is not heavy or hard to use, as long as you can reach in to the tank you can clean the gravel. The user will have to have the dexterity to screw the connector on to a sink but it does not take any strength but you need to have decent finger movements. Some elderly people have arthritis that can make this hard. They are a little pricy but well worth the investment!

Wouldn't sand be harder to clean because it's finer? I'd prefer not to go bare bottom. It's too "unnatural". Not that the aquarium is natural either. :-)

Edited by SomethingSmellsFishy

no, sand is relatively simple to clean and keep clean, and the goldfish stir it up enough for nothing to really settle or compact. All you've really got to do is skim siphon the surface muck off once to twice a week (whenever you do your water changes). Just requires a little more care not to suck up all of the sand lol.

You can go with coarser sands, but I'd avoid gravel for several reasons, two of which being it is hard to keep clean with goldfish, and because they can easily choke on it if it's the wrong size.

Are you maintaining this tank? If not, I'd go bare bottom to make it easier on the person that is maintaining it :)

Edited by Narny105

I can only help my grandparents maintain the tank for a few months during the year. It's a long story. I want something more permanent than a "Python" but still be able to do things with the turn of a valve. By the way, how do you post pictures on this forum?

I can only help my grandparents maintain the tank for a few months during the year. It's a long story. I want something more permanent than a "Python" but still be able to do things with the turn of a valve. By the way, how do you post pictures on this forum?

This is doable, but it requires more DIY know-how than I am able to impart, or it requires water changing systems that are quite expensive. The other option is to hire someone to come and do maintenance for your grandparents.

You can post pics by using one of the hosting sites like photobucket and imgur, and pasting the links here.

Best and easiest substrate to care for is Tahitian moon sand in my opinion. It has the look of sand, but is actually a fine gravel. It doesn't fly around like sand, and is dense enough that waste doesn't penetrate it as it will in sand. To clean you just hover above it. How big is your tank? I use a food grade grey trash can with lid and wheels called a brute. Pricey but well worth it. I wish I had two of them...and really do want a second one. Hefting five gallon buckets is starting to get difficult for me.

Best and easiest substrate to care for is Tahitian moon sand in my opinion. It has the look of sand, but is actually a fine gravel. It doesn't fly around like sand, and is dense enough that waste doesn't penetrate it as it will in sand. To clean you just hover above it. How big is your tank? I use a food grade grey trash can with lid and wheels called a brute. Pricey but well worth it. I wish I had two of them...and really do want a second one. Hefting five gallon buckets is starting to get difficult for me.

I agree on the Tahitian moon sand. I switched from course gravel to sand and the sand seems to make a barrier so the gunk does not sink down the way the gravel did so I can get it cleaner. I also run my fingers or a slotted spoon through it once a week so no air pockets turn into toxic gas. Plus, it is pretty!

Sorry if this doesn't apply to the topic, but I just got a new 50ish gallon tank. Do I just remove the old filter sponges on my trickle filter and place them into my new tank's filter? If so, can I just add all my fish at once since the filter sponges are cycled? Back to the subject, I am almost done with my "elderly friendly" water changer. I'll post pictures when I'm finished. How do some people post pictures directly into the forum? (Without clicking a link)

Sorry if this doesn't apply to the topic, but I just got a new 50ish gallon tank. Do I just remove the old filter sponges on my trickle filter and place them into my new tank's filter? If so, can I just add all my fish at once since the filter sponges are cycled? Back to the subject, I am almost done with my "elderly friendly" water changer. I'll post pictures when I'm finished. How do some people post pictures directly into the forum? (Without clicking a link)

yes, you can move everything over to the new tank as you said. Just test the water for the first week, occasionally moving things around can create a cycle bump.

You need to use a photo hosting site such as photobucket. Copy the link from the image site for the pic you want to post, then use the icon in your reply screen here that looks like a picture (it;s a little square with green in it to the right of the link icon), paste the image link in there and it should show up as a pic here. here's a how to http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95717-how-to-post-pics-photobucket/

... I just got a new 50ish gallon tank. Do I just remove the old filter sponges on my trickle filter and place them into my new tank's filter? If so, can I just add all my fish at once since the filter sponges are cycled?...

What is brand and model your old filter, and what is your new filter? You might be able to easily move your media and sponges over, but this depends on your filters.

If you are moving all the fish over, you can put both the old and new filter in the new tank. It will be fully cycled from the start, and nitrifiers will populate the new filter so you can remove the old one in a few weeks.

It's finished! Yay! It turned out a little like the "Python". But more permanent. I have a bare bottom tank so gravel cleaning isn't needed.

(Click on the link)

http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/Thatoneperson2/media/image-1.jpg.html

http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/Thatoneperson2/media/image.jpg.html

http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/Thatoneperson2/media/image-2.jpg.html

Nice!! You did it yourself?

What a cool idea :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

And beautiful tank and fish I think more pics of the latter would be nice ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4