brine shrimp

Evening

I picked up some frozen brine shrimp today when I went to get my new ryus, they were cheaper than the same size pack of blood worms, so I'm hoping they're just as good. What's the relative difference between them, nutritionally?

Also one cube seems to have a ton! I hope I didn't end up overfeeding.

I don't think the shrimp has as much protein as the worms, but someone with more knowledge will come along soon. ;)

Also, it would be good to eventually buy both and rotate feeding them because variety is the spice of life :nana

I need to get some of those to give my goldfish more a variety, I think I heard someone say they cut one block into pieces.. Maybe you could do that if you think your overfeeding.

However, I'm not an expert so maybe some mods will come along soon!

I feed mine brine shrimp! And blood worms, mysis shrimp and krill. Along with pellets. And veggies. And they eat my plants.

Everything except my krill is in cubes, so I cut it into fours and throw 1/4 brine shrimp and 1/4 blood worms along with some pellets in my 55 for my 4 hungry monkeys. That's in the morning. At night I tend to feed them the krill, mysis and blood worms because it has more nutritional value than the brine and it will hold them over night. As for the difference between the two, for my brand, san francisco bay, there is more crude protein, crude fat, and crude fiber in the brine shrimp than the blood worms. But it's not a huge difference.

Someone else might have more info :]

Edited by scurrie

It actually depends on the brand. Hikari FBW has more proteins than San Francisco Bay Brand, and more than frozen brine, whereas it's the same for SFB FBW and brine.

Brine shrimp is supposed to be a rather good laxative for goldfish, and is a good food to feed. I also feed the spirulina gut loaded brine shrimp. :)

Looks like it's good to feed a mix of the two :) I personally feed more bloodworms than brine shrimps. Basically when I feed brine shrimp over bloodworms it's because I actually remembered I even have the brine shrimps. Usually this is once every every two weeks :P

How do you guys feed the brine shrimp? I just got some today for the first time. I thawed out a cube in some tank water and then poured it in. I turned off the filters so they wouldn't all get sucked up or blown around... I don't know, it just seems like the shrimp are so tiny the fish have kind of a hard time finding/eating it?

How do you guys feed the brine shrimp? I just got some today for the first time. I thawed out a cube in some tank water and then poured it in. I turned off the filters so they wouldn't all get sucked up or blown around... I don't know, it just seems like the shrimp are so tiny the fish have kind of a hard time finding/eating it?

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you turn the filters off and give them about 30 minutes or so, all of it will be gone. :rofl

Mine usually have no issue finding them all :idont maybe they didnt recognize the smell yet?

Mine immediately devoured as many as I put in. The only one who had any trouble was the new ryukin, who has probably been fed only floating food before and kept hovering around the top. He figured it out though.

They seem to be growing up a storm, and the oranda's wen is growing nicely spongy. I credit the brine shrimp.

• 2 weeks later...

It actually depends on the brand. Hikari FBW has more proteins than San Francisco Bay Brand, and more than frozen brine, whereas it's the same for SFB FBW and brine.

Brine shrimp is supposed to be a rather good laxative for goldfish, and is a good food to feed. I also feed the spirulina gut loaded brine shrimp. :)

After I saw that brine shrimp is a good laxative I feed it on Saturday in the morning. This is because it's the day after my veggie day so it will clear their systems out :) I think they like having brine shrimp more often :P

I've been thinking of trying something new as far as frozen foods but I really like the rotation I'm on for food. The schedule the new ranchus is way different so I have to work to get them on mine :) They'll do fine though :)

Hhmmm, I used to hatch live brine shrimp & it was kind of fun watching the fish "hunt" them down!! I may have to give that a try again.

I just put defrosted Blood Worms in this morning.........there was a feeding frendzy....as usual!! I used a "fish only" plastic dropper thingee to put them in the tank & Zoey (my Blue Oranda) crept up on me & snatched some right out of the end of the dropper!!!!! It kind of startled me....but it was very funny!!!

I really have nothing to add here, but I just wanted to say that brine shrimp are the coolest little creatures! When I took a good look at them in the light for the first time I noticed they had tiny EYES! It's really cute watching my fish eat them, it's like they're having a little shrimp cocktail. :teehee

Edited by Georgia

I used to keep "Sea monkeys" as pets a long time back. They are neat little creatures.

I don't think I'd bother with keeping them as a food source though! I'd be too squeamish to feed them to my fish. Give me pre-killed and bulk frozen, thanks. :D