Sign in to follow this  
Maroula

Comet not eating/pooping

Ok, changed water, dosed wtith Epsom, 2x metro and Prazipro.

Here is a picture overhead:

74a07bf9-3454-4bb2-9a0f-4359301ebdf3.jpg

Edited by Maroula

Well, one side is just about normal. :)

:heart good luck Maroula.

Day 29: Changed water, added prime, 2x metro and Epsom. No prazi.

Most of the time he just floats around doing the mouth thing, swimming a little bit. When I change the water, he just usually stays out of the way. Today he was like a puppy under your feet...always right where I was with the syphon, going to the top of the water as if to say, hey that's enough you can stop taking water out.

:rofl

Sounds like he is feeling a little better.

I did a water change yesterday, second time without Prazi.

Tomorrow is water change day, do I Prazi again? Tomorrow will be day 32, 8 days with 2x metro and 4 days without Prazi.

We will be leaving on the 7th and returning on the 11th.

How does he look, Margie? I am tempted to leave out the metro, and just do prazi and Epsom.

He looks just about the same. His shape seems to thicken and thin slightly every few days. The last picture was a thin shot, he seems to have thicken slightly since it. He just drifts around staring at things. While I cleaned the tank last he did his checking the water level and patroling about bit.

I am going to change the tank water in a bit, but since I don't know what you want me to put in, I am just going to add Prime and Epsom and add any meds later when you get back to me. I hope that'll be ok. :)

And of course he is letting me know that it's time to change the water by swimming through the bubbles and looking at me and swimming to the top to check the water level and then giving me a stinkeye. :rofl

Comet passed on, hopefully peacefully, in the night by his beloved bubbler.

Lisa and Alex, thank you for all your wonderful help. We wound up having an extra month with Comet that we probably wouldn't have had. You are both wonderful, caring and compassionate people. :hug

I'm so sorry, Margie. I wish there was more we could have done, but sometimes it's just not meant to be. :hug

I need to break down the tank. I left the filter running because I had no tme before but turned the bubbler off. My mistake because it's getting cloudy.

What do I use to clean the tank? And what needs to be done to the filter? I will throw out the media and start over...not sure if I am going for a larger tank right away or keep this for now. Hubby misses his buddy. :(

hun, I suspect that the fish suffered from an internal tumour that might have been cancerous. these are normally isolated to the individual. I would think that you will be fine with the filter media you have, if it's cycled. (please excuse the fact that I have not read back on this thread) and am only going off the last 3 pages.

I would recommend that everything in the tank be sterilized with a part bleach solution (something we almost always do when there is a loss in the tank). I am not sure of the bleach/water combination but others will be along to advise. I think that If you do currently have a cycle, you should try to keep it active until your husband receives his new buddy ;)

I am sorry that your comet did not make it. :hug

If I keep the filter media, how do I take care of it while I clean the tank?

Will you be cleaning the tank in a day or over several days/weeks? :idont

Well I had planned on breaking down the tank and cleaning everything, but Helen said that it was not necessary to lose the filter. I would probably clean t tomorrow afternoon. I put the bubbler back on and the filter is running.

Do you have ammonia to feed the cycle? You'll want to do so unless you're getting a fish very very soon. It's been a couple of days already without a fish, correct?

If you're cleaning it in one day, you can put the filter media in a bucket of tank water. You can add an airstone if you'd like. I've shipped BBs over a couple of days and the BBs survive. :D

I don't have ammonia, is it just regular plain ammonia you can get in the supermarket? Of course not the sudsy kind.

The tank has had no fish in it since Thursday and since we are going away the week after next, I hadn't planned on getting any fish until after we returned after the 11th.

I wrote with concern for my cycle in the totts tank when I only had two small fish in the 120g to Sharon (shakaho).. I was concerned that I would loose the cycle in that tank, not having enough fish waste to keep the cycle alive, here is what she replied with:

Don't worry about the cycle. I have a tank that hasn't had fish in it for two months where I've just let the filters run. I had a quarantine fish, so I took a filter out and put it in the quarantine tank. It was still cycled.

Bacteria don't all starve to death when they have no food. They just go into minimal metabolic mode, stop growing and wait for the food supply. Bacterial habitats are very unstable so any species of bacteria that couldn't survive a prolonged lack of food would be extinct. Weak specimens will die, and their remains provide a steady supply of food for the rest of the population.

When the food supply suddenly increases because you added a fish, it takes about a day for the underfed bacteria to fatten up before they can divide and after that the population will double every day until they hit the steady-state population for that food supply. During those few days you may have a cycle blip or not.

Very interesting information, Helen! Thanks for posting!

Maroula, I am so sorry for the loss of your dear comet. :k055:

Ok, so I can clean the tank with a bleach solution (did I read somewhere it's a 19:1 ratio? 19 parts water, 1 part bleach?). I plan on throwing out the gravel and fake plant. Do I just clean the bubbler (airstone) in a vinegar solution?

Filter media goes in a bucket of tank water, what about the HOB filter housing? Bleach, no bleach...just give it a good scrubbing?

After bleaching the tank, let some Prime sit in it a bit, put everything back together with fresh Primed water and test?

Thanks for your patience and help. :)

bleach 19:1 - if that's what you read on kokos, then that's it :D

bubbler & air stone in vinegar, yes :)

filter housing, bleach & scrub :)

filter media, in bucket with air stone and tank water..

after all the sterilizing is done, rinse thoroughly. fill up sink/bucket, soak in normal clean water for about 10 mins. drain, rinse items again.. fill up sink/bucket again, add prime, soak items for another 10 mins. rinse thoroughly and do a smell test. there should be no smells of bleach or vinegar.. you should be right to go :)