getting worse, nothing is working, fungus, finrot? help please!

goldylove

I've been caring for this little guy for several weeks now, trying to cure him for my sister in law who is busy with a new baby. he had a couple of patches of grey/white on the body & a small amount of tail damage with white edge. the last week it seems to have gotten out of hand & spread & now he has stopped eating. I've mostly had him in up to .3% salt in a 12 litre QT which seemed to do not much at all. I've lost track of water changes & sometimes I didn't have any salt in the water at all to see how he went & if things got better. out of desperation I tried maracyn 2 & maroxy about 2 weeks ago & about 3 days ago I tried multi cure. his appetite has been good up until yesterday. I've just done another large wc & tried to clear everything out of the water at this stage (except the prime of course). i'm afraid i'm losing him & would appreciate any advice. as I said he is in an uncycled QT & I have been doing at least 50 % wc every few days. I don't know if the water params are helpful in this situation but can give them if needed.

IMG_20130821_243201_999_zps2f6d008a.jpg

b9083e45-e187-4538-be3f-49ae61cf93e2_zps

• Supporter

oh wow! poor guy :( i am sorry you're not seeing improvements, i can understand your frustrations. but so that we can have a really good start to suggesting what could be wrong, please do your best to fill out all the questions below relating to the black chu.

did he have other tank mates or was he solo at your sister's house? and a short video of his moving around as well as his accepting/rejection of food would be great..

what about his poop, have you seen any? if yes, what did it look like? please describe it for us.

This forum is for goldfish in need of help or just general disease discussion.
Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

. as I said he is in an uncycled QT & I have been doing at least 50 % wc every few days.

This is not enough. :no: You need to do daily 100 percent water changes, unless you have issues with your ph. Even then, you still need the 100 percent water changes, but you might have to go about them differently.

Do you have a larger container at all. Even a plastic storage bin would be better than 12L. That is only 3 gallons and sick fish need clean water. Even with 100% daily water changes the water quality will foul enough to impede healing.

Focus on question answering and work on water quality by larger more frequent water changes And an eventual larger container. (Aim for at least 38L)

Edited by bodoba

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 - 0.1 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)0ppm
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0 - 7.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api master test kit drops
    • * Water temperature? 21 c
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 12 litre QT running about 5 weeks
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? hailea internal filter
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? every few days, at least 50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today, about 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1, about 4 cm
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2 x daily nutrafin max sinking pellets, peas - eaten once 2 weeks ago, refused 2 days ago
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? n/a
  • * Any medications added to the tank? removing all meds at the moment, will complete with another wc tomorrow
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. prazi (2weeks, 4 rounds) salt 0.1 - 0.3 % varying durations, maracyn 2, maroxy, multi cure
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? large patches of grey , damaged fins
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? some lethargy, was always a fairly inactive fish from purchase approx. 3 months ago. refusing food from 2 days ago until now

my sister in law was starting a tank & had lost a few fish due to bad info from pet shop. "diesel" here was the last fish she got & he had a shubunkin tank buddy for a week or 2 until that one died. he had a couple of small whiteish patches on him & I offered to take him & treat for flukes & look after him til he healed. my brother actually found him stuck upside down to their internal filter not moving & thought he had died the day before I went to collect him. he went out & came home again & the fish had started swimming around the tank again much to his surprise.

apart from being fairly quiet & not swimming around a lot he always ate his food when I added it & had normal looking poop the same colour as the food. fairly thin poop but I think he only has a very small bottom! not stringy or unusual. he seemed a little floaty at one stage so I gave peas which he liked. offered them again a few days ago & I don't think he ate any?

im hoping the wc today will perk him up a bit. i'll try & get a video of him tomorrow, at the moment he's just kind of sitting under the filter in te corner.

I took the readings after the 80 % wc today. I can transfer him to a much bigger tub tomorrow, I have something I can use.

Edited by goldylove