Sign in to follow this  
MexiMike83

How can you tell if your goldfish is blind or just doesn't see well?

I didn't really notice it earlier, now whether it was always like this i don't know. But I've noticed that the red cap has a harder time than the other one getting food. She still eats, it's just that she hoovers everything but the food sometimes.

Also when I hand feed them Koko, the blue usually sits back a few inches from the food as if thinking about it and seems to have control. Lucy, the red often runs into my hand and misses. I have to practically put it on her mouth sometimes. Ugh

Haha, I can tell my ryukin and oranda can see well because I can hardly put my hand in the tank without them stealing whatever food I have! My black moor, on the other hand, is less enthusiastic. He rushes over, but doesn't see as well as the others. I have to put the food right in his mouth, basically! I've decided he can see shapes, so he can tell when my hand is in the tank, and knows it's a good thing, but he can't pinpoint that I have food the way my others do.

I'm going to get Prazi today and some salt for the probable ectoparasites on Koko. I planned to salt both of them. And do Prazi for both. I'm kinda worried.

Also half the orange pigment in her eyes are silver. Maybe I'm just paranoid. :( I hope I didn't cause this :'(

Well, I have one that is blind in one eye from an accident (actually she is missing her left eye now) and another that I suspect after having popeye is mostly blind in her left eye too. ugh. Before my oranda lost her eye, she never saw well like my fantail and calico fantail did so I wonder if some "breeds" see better then others? I think probably so. I would barely drop a piece of food in the water and they had narrowed in and ate it before she even moved. I think she was far sighted as she seemed to be the one who could see me from the loft and smack the water when the others didn't. Luckily I have trained her to wait on the right side of the tank and I drop food to her right where she can see it. Mostly she gets it and whatever she doesn't the others get.

You could experiment and drop food to one eye or the other and see what your fish sees maybe to determine if it just doesn't see well.

My guess is its not blind unless it has had an accident and/or popeye. Another way to tell would be if he/she comes to the glass when you walk up or shows she "sees" you in any way. That should be more obvious probably then even dropping in food :)

Just out of curiosity why do you think you would've caused it?

Edited by CindiL

It doesn't really matter if a goldfish is sighted. Most telescopes are scent based eaters so even though it may take them sometime they will eventually locate food, especially if you are hand feeding.

If you take a picture of yr fish with the flash on and there is a gray 'pearl' in the eye that usually means the fish doesn't have sight in that eye.

All in all no biggie :hug

I am just getting in to fancies and I am curious too. I have one moor that looks everywhere but the right place for food. It is pretty funny and i feed one, wait until his mouth is full, then drop a few more pellets in for this gal. She hand feeds just fine. My commons however, seem to be really precise with locating food. Well, except for Mitch. He's oblivious to everything...new tank, new cone feeder with delicious blood worms, garlic sea weed...He's like "whatever bro." I think of him as a mellow surfer type.

I too am curious why you think your Red Cap is blind? Do you think she injured her eye recently? and became blind?

I heard that if a fish is blind it should not hinder them in anyway especially when it comes to eating. Just make sure your tank is safe for a blind fish.

Did I read somewhere that you had a fish with popeye? My fish who had popeye definitely is either blind in that eye now or just doesn't see nearly as well as she used to even though the eye appears fine, as food dropped by that eye is unseen for the most part by her. I am hoping in time she regains more sight out of it though it looks all healed now so I don't know.

Edited by CindiL

I hope you figure out the issue and I hope she gets well soon! Good luck!

The blue, the one with fin issues had Popeye once. I wonder if I missed something with the red. Tomorrow they both get the salt/ and prazi treatment.

I'm wishing them both well thoughts.

Also, I'm mumbling "I wish they were mine." :)

gorgeous

Edited by 4prettyfish

Mike,

I'm going to move this thread to general goldfish discussion, as I don't think this is an issue of sickness. I hope the thread continues to generate great discussion. :)

I noticed yesterday that she has some redness below her right eye and today i noticed what might be cloudy eye. Both fish are being treated for flukes with prazi and salt at the recommended doses from the mods.

She isn't eating and I'm worried. I have some metro meds that haven't been opened but the bag is a year old. Should I try feeding her this? Or should I try to pick up some erythromycin for the possible eye infection.

I just got a new job and started school. I'm terribly busy UGH! I did two 50% water changes yesterday and a salt dip for both before doing a second round of prazi. I did this to hopefully jump start the prazi process and I was a day late on the water change according to the schedule, if that makes sense.

Help! Also if this needs to be moved back to D&D please do so. Thanks.

A mod will hopefully be by soon! Good luck to you and yours! :)

Mike, do you have a pic of the eye?

An antibiotic is a good plan. Erythromycin is fine, as well as kanamycin, or Triple Sulfa. Just avoid tetracycline and minocycline.