Can You Tell Me About Crown Pearlscales?

waterfaller1

Your experiences please. Are they sensitive or hardy? Do ok with other types or need to be in a species tank? Is there any consideration when choosing one? Is the 'crown' a bubble, or thick like a wen? Anything else you can throw in is great, thanks!

Edited by waterfaller1

• Supporter

Idk much about them sorry :(

I will say though from pics I have saw the crown one don't look quote as round in general as the regular ones. Thes just from my observations and not biological fact. Lol

Also if I was to get a CPS there is a stunning yellow gold bronze color one on RG.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Supporter

Yep that is him. Thats cool though I like white fish and calico as well so got to be good right lol. The Dalmatian looking ones are awesome. Mostly white with alittle black in spots. But they probably just turn white lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Pearls is a 3 year old crowned pearlscale. She lives in a container pond with Fanny, a fantail, several of their year-old children and a few shubunkins and comets of the same age as her kids..

034.jpg

043.jpg

046.jpg

She has lived outdoors for two years. She eats koi pellets, algae, and duckweed (her favorite).

Wait a minute...you keep fancy goldfish outside...here? How do you do it without them getting overheated or eaten?

Carole, fancy goldfish has somehow gotten this undeserved reputation for being such weaklings. :rofl

In the Florida weather, they should be more than fine, considering that they are fine in year round ponds in the Netherlands. :)

What part of FL do you live in? These fish are in my screened pool enclosure. Ponds that aren't enclosed have a cover to keep out predators. My warmest pond gets midday direct sun but is shaded in the morning and late afternoon. It's 16 inches deep and the water can get up to about 88F on a hot summer afternoon. Fifteen degrees warmer and they'd be in trouble. Goldfish start to die at water temperatures above 106 F. Koi are sensitive to high temperatures, but they thrive in FL ponds.

All goldfish do better in ponds than in aquariums, but I believe fancies gain much more from being in a pond than the "pond type" goldfish do. In my experience, moving a comet outside makes for a happier fish, but little if any growth spurt. Fancies moved outside grow like crazy. Most fancies have poor cold tolerance, but that isn't a problem in FL.

Wait a minute...you keep fancy goldfish outside...here? How do you do it without them getting overheated or eaten?

Carole, fancy goldfish has somehow gotten this undeserved reputation for being such weaklings. :rofl

Maybe that is because so many die. On the other thread, members were saying the cheap fish live longer. It can't be both ways.

Maybe that is because so many die. On the other thread, members were saying the cheap fish live longer. It can't be both ways.

I'm sorry, but I think this is another one of those goldfish myths.

Yes, I readily admit that fancy goldfish are not as hardy as the singletails, but many of them are not weaklings.

Where did you get that so many die? Also, there are plenty cheap goldfish that are not single tails, just as there are plenty of single tails that are not cheap. :)

True true! I made several mistakes, probably getting them from different sources was my biggest. Got a few with ich,it took some out, some like Spott, lived through every bit of it! RG's fish seem to be the hardest for me to keep. I got a couple from a fellow in CA, who used to advertise them simply on YT. Got a couple from a fellow on the west coast of FL who makes and sells a fish food called Southern Dlight. I still have Rhett, and Lovey from him. Most of my fish from DO have done the best, with exception to my tiger ranchu. For awhile I was obsessed with RG's broadtails, for me they were the most difficult to keep, some not even lasting a few days. I am not proud of this. In the past, with every fish from saltwater to fresh, my success has been greater than keeping goldfish. I have even kept teeny tiny specialty fish that refused most if not all prepared foods successfully, like indostomus crocodilus, and indostomus paradoxus. They are like miniature pipefish, and have mouths the size of a toothpick!

Okay! Crowned pearlscales are also known as hamanishiki, and are easily my favorite type of goldfish. While they are certainly not as fragile as tikus (regular pearlscales) they can be challenging to keep. This is mostly due to swim bladder problems that many incur, like many fancy goldfish get. Having oranda in their lineage seems to help in many instances, I have never successfully kept the more extreme tiku pearlies for more than a year or two, however I learned a lot from keeping them, and it has made me a better fishkeeper because it was such a sharp learning curve. Crowned pearlies are just as 'hardy' as any other goldfish. I would not winter them in a pond where it gets too cold, but my pearlies are all out in the pond this summer and are thriving. Because they do get so round they have a lot of body to push other fish out of the way for food. Mine seem to have no problem being with other types of goldies (I have almost every kind out in the pond, both fancies and singletails). I would start them on a high quality pellet when they're younger and switch to gelfood or a diet comprised more of greens as they age to lessen swimbladder problems. I try to choose a pearlscale with what I call a 'strong' peduncle. This often correlates to body length in that fish with 'weak' penduncles are more compact. As my largest pearlscale Roosevelt became older her weak penduncle caused her to have stability issues, but not necessarily become floaty. So when choosing a fish try and go for one with a peduncle that is lower on the body.

Like this, compared to this. this is not to say that the second fish will 100% encounter problems with it's swimbladder, it just seems to be a good correlation for overall mobility based on my experiences.

You also have to consider that these fish will get rounder and larger with age, so if you start out with a young fish that is already very extreme it will only become more so. My girl Roos was with me 4 years and was about 1 year upon purchase from my LFS, but 5 years seems to be on the short end of the spectrum even for a fancy goldfish. (whose lifespans seem to be 5-8yrs on average). But I'm going to need to own a lot more pearlies before I can give a general lifespan :rofl With pearlscales in general they get very round, and because of this it is very easy for them to get stuck in crevices and injure themselves. So when setting up a tank that has pearlies in it make sure no rocks or objects are directly against the tank wall. Just give them plenty of wiggle room around obstacles so they do not bump against them and damage their pearls, or worse their skin. Their wen is just a non-bumpy wen, not a bubble at all. It is firm but also squishy! :rofl Any more questions just let me know!

Pearlies are awesome. I really miss having one, the way they wiggle is so cute.

Ugh, time to go fish shopping.... Thanks guys. :P

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2