My Goldfish Pond

miarob

Here are a couple pictures of my new pond. There is still a lot of work to do as far as landscaping and a bit of rock work. The first picture is before the liner and the last is nearing completion.

IMG_0271_zps16216b5b.jpg

IMG_0270_zps672d7e8d.jpg

The approximate size is between 750-800 gallons. It has a skimmer/waterfall filter setup to take care of the nasties. We have added some plants that are native to our area and plan to add a bit more as well as some landscaping around the outer portion of the pond.

Love it! Looking good already! Yes please keep us updated!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Mernany

I love how you showed us the before photo. Your pond looks really nice now. How many fish are you going to stock in it? Looking forward to seeing it completed with fish even.

I'm thinking 12-14 fish max. We'll see how it goes. I guess 15 would be right at 50 gallons per fish so maybe that is a good number. I definitely don't want to run into the water quality problems that come with over stocking it.

If you want fifteen, please don't start with more than half that. A light starting load will assure the pond cycles without you or the fish knowing anything is happening. Furthermore, there will always be fish that you really want, and fry that are too cute to get rid of, so leave lots of room.

Thanks for the advice.. We are trying to be really careful with the cycling of the pond. I have been keep regular checks on water quality. As of right now we have Nitrite and Nitrate in check and the PH is staying pretty close to neutral even with the relentless rain of late. I was expecting a bit of a crash in PH but, so far it is fine. The fish we have right now appear to be healthy and happy. We intend to keep it that way. So, if I have any problems you guys will be getting questions in short order. :)

When you first fill a pond it is Ammonia that you want to keep the closest eye on. Nitrite comes next, then Nitrate. I would expect Nitrite and Nitrate to be 0 at first, until the bacteria that convert ammonia into Nitrite and Nitrate become more established.

Pond looks good.

If you want fifteen, please don't start with more than half that. A light starting load will assure the pond cycles without you or the fish knowing anything is happening. Furthermore, there will always be fish that you really want, and fry that are too cute to get rid of, so leave lots of room.

Given your background, you are the person to ask I would think. Not that there aren't other qualified people here. I just happened to look at your Bio. :) What is the ideal number of fish in a pond the size of mine(750-800 gal)? Or, do I need to count inches of fish per gallon? Does 15 fish sound reasonable to you?

Sorry for the double post, but I should have mentioned a little more about my setup. I'm using a 2100 GPH pump housed in the skimmer with a bio filter housed in the fall. That may or may not make a difference concerning numbers of fish.

So how many fish do you have in there now and how big (body length, not including tail) are they? I hope they are all goldfish, since your pond is too small for koi. I think it's a good idea to check ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in a new pond, but I have never seen anything but zero for any of those parameters in my ponds. When you build a pond and put in plants you are seeding the pond with lots of nitrifying bacteria/archaea, and since these came from the local soil and from plants that grow there, they will establish themselves quite quickly. As long as you start with a small number of small fish, the nitrifiers will be able to keep up with the ammonia.

Fifteen fish would be great for your pond, Where in the US are you? It makes a big difference when we are talking about ponds. I would have to cull continually to keep the number of fish at one per 50 gallons. When the water is at growing temperature year around, goldfish mature and reproduce early and spawn frequently. I would have to cull dozens, maybe hundreds of young fish every year to maintain that density of fish. Someone whose pond was iced over for 5 months of the year wouldn't see any fry for about two years, and then most of the spawning would occur in the spring. The larger number of adults relative to eggs/fry produced would mean that few fry survive.

A waterfall filter will work fine for the time being. A year from now, when your fish are larger, you might want to build an additional filter. A bog filter around one side of the pond would look nice. :)

So how many fish do you have in there now and how big (body length, not including tail) are they? I hope they are all goldfish, since your pond is too small for koi. I think it's a good idea to check ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in a new pond, but I have never seen anything but zero for any of those parameters in my ponds. When you build a pond and put in plants you are seeding the pond with lots of nitrifying bacteria/archaea, and since these came from the local soil and from plants that grow there, they will establish themselves quite quickly. As long as you start with a small number of small fish, the nitrifiers will be able to keep up with the ammonia.

Fifteen fish would be great for your pond, Where in the US are you? It makes a big difference when we are talking about ponds. I would have to cull continually to keep the number of fish at one per 50 gallons. When the water is at growing temperature year around, goldfish mature and reproduce early and spawn frequently. I would have to cull dozens, maybe hundreds of young fish every year to maintain that density of fish. Someone whose pond was iced over for 5 months of the year wouldn't see any fry for about two years, and then most of the spawning would occur in the spring. The larger number of adults relative to eggs/fry produced would mean that few fry survive.

A waterfall filter will work fine for the time being. A year from now, when your fish are larger, you might want to build an additional filter. A bog filter around one side of the pond would look nice. :)

I actually have 10 goldfish in it. They are all small with 4 of them being single tail at about 2 inches each(not counting tails). The rest are all fans and I would say right around an inch each. All seem to be very healthy and very active. We wanted younger fish so we could watch them grow. We have no desire at all to have any Koi in this pond and I have no plans of adding anymore goldfish. Especially after the points you made about keeping few fish at first.

I live in Augusta, GA. We are in the east central part of Ga so, we have a few months of Winter here. I doubt we will ice over but, if we do, it won't last long. Our winter temps are pretty moderate.

The bog filter is an excellent idea. In fact, I think that will be a great project for next spring. I just need to do some research and figure out what will be best for me. Would it be best to have the bog filter and keep the filter I have now?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Here is the source of information on bog filters. (Also search just about any pond forum for posts by addy1. She is the bog filter guru.) What you would build is #2 the raised bog filter. If you make it about 1/3 the area of the pond, it will give you all the filtration you need. It will also be a beautiful garden.

Here is the source of information on bog filters. (Also search just about any pond forum for posts by addy1. She is the bog filter guru.) What you would build is #2 the raised bog filter. If you make it about 1/3 the area of the pond, it will give you all the filtration you need. It will also be a beautiful garden

Oh boy...here I go again. :) I definitely want to build this and I may not be able to wait til spring. I do have a few questions though. First, I assume I will have to take my pump out of the skimmer and place it into the bottom of the pond for this system to be properly functional, would that be correct? Also with this system I won't need the filter system I have now at all, because the bog will serve as a waterfall. Would you even use the skimmer with having this setup? The main reason I used a skimmer is because of trees close by.

I haven't used a skimmer, but you certainly can feed any filter with a pump in a skimmer. You can also have a pump in the bottom and one in the skimmer and have them both feed the bog filter. If you were going to do that, I would put the big (current) pump in the bottom and just get a small one for the skimmer, since your current pump is plenty big enough for your pond.

Your plans are all so excellent that I'm sure your pond will be a winner.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to answer all the questions I had. I'm trying to get it all planned out now. If I don't get on it before winter, I will definitely get it done in early spring.