How Old is Your Oldest Fancy Goldfish?

terris

I thought it would be interesting to find out 1. how long forum members have kept a fancy goldfish alive and 2. what the set up (substrate, plants or no plants) and feeding is/was like.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 years

Substrate

Faux plants

Calico fantail. :)

Wow!!! :goodjob What do you feed this fish? I know it's a personal choice but I would really like to know what works for different folks.

Edited by terris

6 months

No substrate

Live Plants (in pots)

Red and White Ryukin

(I know shes not THAT old but I thought I'd post anyway lol!)

13 years

Substrate

Faux plants

Calico fantail. :)

Wow!!! :goodjob What do you feed this fish? I know it's a personal choice but I would really like to know what works for different folks.

Different kinds of pellets. We didn't pay quite as much attention to the labels at the time.

8 months plus however old it was when I got it at the store.

That's awesome! Do you use substrate? If so, what kind?

Since this fish has been in three different tanks. I did use rocks then I didn't then I did again and now I have a few plants this time too.

Fanny the fantail, and Pearls the pearlscale, both ~3 years old, live with too many of their children from last summer here. More.

That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!!

My current is 5 year old Othello, a black moor.

55 gallons

Mostly non-planted tank.

5 years? That gives me hope. Do you use a substrate?

• Supporter

Okay so I know this is for fancies but my commons are on six years (I had one growing up for 19 years) with substrate and I had 5 in a 29 gallon tank. I have three left now in a 55 with sand. They eat blood worms pro gold veggies sea weed shrimp pellets gel food and spirulina flakes. I try to keep the protien light some they are older and no longer growing. They look amazing since starting on the pro gold

55 gallons

Mostly non-planted tank.

I do use a substrate. I had gravel for many years (really really horrible idea), and I now have sand. :)

5 years is still quite young. I hope for much more, but we shall see. :)

55 gallons

Mostly non-planted tank.

I do use a substrate. I had gravel for many years (really really horrible idea), and I now have sand. :)

Now I have ecocomplete and live plants. It seems the members who have fancies for a long time use bare bottom. So why is substrate a horrible idea? My fish do not arrive for 2 weeks so if I can de-plant and have no substrate, now is the time to make the changes! Thanks!!!

• Supporter

Oldest fancy less than a year no fatalities yet lol just starting in the fancy world. I have several single tails ranging all the way to 18 years at present.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Supporter

?

?

55 gallons

Mostly non-planted tank.

?

?

?

?

Now I have ecocomplete and live plants. It seems the members who have fancies for a long time use bare bottom. So why is substrate a horrible idea? My fish do not arrive for 2 weeks so if I can de-plant and have no substrate, now is the time to make the changes! Thanks!!!
Its not a bad idea really. Using a pol like this is not the best way to judge really at least not in this small of numbers. Sand seems to be a verry good substrate. Gravel can be problematic if fish can get it stuck in there mouth. A lot of nutrient rich substrates is also good again as lond as the fish can't get pieces stuck in there mouth.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I'm not saying to use substrate just saying its not all bad. A lot of people prefer bare bottom and both has its pros and cons. I've not saw anything to suggest though that it will significantly shorten or shorten at all a goldfish's life span. With the exception of gravel that can get lodged in a goldfish's mouth.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Daniel E.

• Helper

My oldest is my telescope Google, I've had him for about 6 years now. He has been through a lot of different setups, started with a 5 gallon and 2 other fish, then 20 gallon with about 6 other fish, then an 80 gallon with 9 other fish, now he is in the 80 gallon with 5 other fish. Until this year I always had gravel, but now I have barebottom with glass stones scattered around.

I have an 8 year old black moor which belongs to my whole household, and a common which is getting on for 11-12 years old. Both have had substrate their whole lives as far as I know, and have a few silk plants in the tanks :)

55 gallons

Mostly non-planted tank.

5 years? That's amazing. I hope mine live at least that long. Any secrets or just water change, water change, water change?

55 gallons

Mostly non-planted tank.

5 years? That's amazing. I hope mine live at least that long. Any secrets or just water change, water change, water change?

I wish I have some super secrets to share. I just try to do my best to give them clean water always, and good food!

I have an 8 year old black moor which belongs to my whole household, and a common which is getting on for 11-12 years old. Both have had substrate their whole lives as far as I know, and have a few silk plants in the tanks :)

At this point, I am wondering if Black Moors are really sturdy fish or something...Anyway, thanks for the post and great job!!!