your advice on..moss balls?

katiehuggins

Hi guys :) I am thinking about ordering some moss balls, or getting some from petsmart. The moss balls, and the bamboo, are really the only aquarium plants I like unfortunately x) [and water lettuce which I can never seem to find] but would the goldies nibble away at the moss? And the bamboo? I have spider plant in my tank... and unfortunately it get rips to shreads :( and it alaways looks so disgusting, becuase I trim back the shredded brown parts, but is bamboo, water lettuce (if I can find some) and moss, do those plants appeal to goldfish?_?

My red cap, Merlin, had a moss ball for a year and never bothered it. As soon as I put Mike Doyle in the tank, though, he tore it to shreds within a day.

My goldies can't access my bamboo :) If you are getting bamboo I recommend not getting it from a pet store, just because of the price. At my pet store, one sprig of bamboo less than a foot long was $6...I went to the nursery of a store instead and bought a potted bamboo thing that was meant for decoration. Took the sprigs out of the pot, rinsed well etc. etc. and got about 15 sprigs total, and the whole thing was $15. Plus, I got the vase it came in xD

It really depends on the size and personality of your fish. My fish are small (about 2 inches) and they don't really bother any of my plants or moss ball. I don't think they have the strength to tear off pieces of it. I believe your fish are still small, so you'll be fine. :)

Other than that, moss balls are still really pricey. :o

My red cap, Merlin, had a moss ball for a year and never bothered it. As soon as I put Mike Doyle in the tank, though, he tore it to shreds within a day.

My goldies can't access my bamboo :) If you are getting bamboo I recommend not getting it from a pet store, just because of the price. At my pet store, one sprig of bamboo less than a foot long was $6...I went to the nursery of a store instead and bought a potted bamboo thing that was meant for decoration. Took the sprigs out of the pot, rinsed well etc. etc. and got about 15 sprigs total, and the whole thing was $15. Plus, I got the vase it came in xD

yeah, at our home depot, they are in huge buckets, probably 2 ft long for 2 bucks, so you think that would work?

It really depends on the size and personality of your fish. My fish are small (about 2 inches) and they don't really bother any of my plants or moss ball. I don't think they have the strength to tear off pieces of it. I believe your fish are still small, so you'll be fine. :)

only thing if I order on etsy, amazon, ebay ect. It wil be cheaper, if I all ge5t it with the real price all in the same box, so I wouldnt have to pay for shipping ;) tricks of the trade, tricks of the trade my friend ;)

I bought three moss balls for about $20. Two got shredded and one divided so now I have two small ones... I don't know how much longer they will last. My goldfish pick at everything and anything that is in the tank :P.

only thing if I order on etsy, amazon, ebay ect. It wil be cheaper, if I all ge5t it with the real price all in the same box, so I wouldnt have to pay for shipping ;) tricks of the trade, tricks of the trade my friend ;)

I've looked for moss balls tons of times on these sites (well, not Etsy...) and have found that the cheap ones are either very very small...like, a few millimeters in diameter, or they are coming from overseas and the shipping gets expensive. Otherwise, I see them ending up about the same price as buying them at a pet store locally!

Or maybe I just don't know the tricks of the trade.

When I first got fish, I got some moss balls that lasted for a long time. Gradually, they were destroyed, but I still had one last month (after 2+ years) when I tore down my second tank. I dropped it in the bigger goldfish tank, and it was destroyed overnight. :yikes

You don't like anubias? They are beautiful plants. :)

sadly, no I do not like anubias :( I used to have it when I first started and that was not a great expierence...I have a great green thumb out of the aquarium, but no not with anubias. I really like mosses though, not just the moss ball moss, but I also like :Flame moss, star moss, those marimos, java moss, and thats about it, oh yeah, and I LOVE to grow green algae for the tank.

I think the goldfish get mad when I fast them on mondays, and they start eating the spider plant x)

I've looked for moss balls tons of times on these sites (well, not Etsy...) and have found that the cheap ones are either very very small...like, a few millimeters in diameter, or they are coming from overseas and the shipping gets expensive. Otherwise, I see them ending up about the same price as buying them at a pet store locally!

Or maybe I just don't know the tricks of the trade.

If you Don t know the tricks of the trade I will teach you young sith... x)

Marimos are really fun! They can be pricy but they're a great addition to the tank. Just be sure before you get them that they're thoroughly rinsed in clean water and quarantine them for a few days to make sure there are no nasties. :) Mine accidentally fell apart after my tank was vacated but now I have a handfull of babies that my fish love to roll and push around and the "queen" marimo who is way larger than both my fish. :teehee

Be sure to squeeze them in clean water and give them a gentle roll to keep them round since they're not being pushed around by the lake currents that would naturally keep them round. Sometimes small little excesses will grow off your marimo and those can be cut off and rolled into a "baby" marimo! (Can you tell I like them yet?? :thud )

Bamboo is great too, especially if you're planning to get the tall ones that can stick directly out of your fish tank. Mine has a lot of roots and they have never been an interest to the goldfish. If it's in the fish tank with the leaves out, it's most likely going to grow roots all over the areas submerged and look really awesome. :D

Edited by Chai

Can you link me perhaps then to a cheap lot of moss balls? :o I would love to order some myself, actually.

i actually found this site rather cheap :) than compared to my lfs,lps, and petco. 7.99 at petco and 4.00 for these ones, and keep mind, these ones are rather large, and there is all diferent kinds of stuff...

http://www.aqmagic.com/marimo-moss-ball-c-116.html

Marimos are really fun! They can be pricy but they're a great addition to the tank. Just be sure before you get them that they're thoroughly rinsed in clean water and quarantine them for a few days to make sure there are no nasties. :) Mine accidentally fell apart after my tank was vacated but now I have a handfull of babies that my fish love to roll and push around and the "queen" marimo who is way larger than both my fish. :teehee

Be sure to squeeze them in clean water and give them a gentle roll to keep them round since they're not being pushed around by the lake currents that would naturally keep them round. Sometimes small little excesses will grow off your marimo and those can be cut off and rolled into a "baby" marimo! (Can you tell I like them yet?? :thud )

Bamboo is great too, especially if you're planning to get the tall ones that can stick directly out of your fish tank. Mine has a lot of roots and they have never been an interest to the goldfish. If it's in the fish tank with the leaves out, it's most likely going to grow roots all over the areas submerged and look really awesome. :D

wow! you sure know alot thanks chai!!! post a pic of the queen! i want to see her! they do sound so fun..... i want one!! hahah chai, why you so cool?? :teehee is that what your profile pic is? i cant wait im sooooo excited! :happydance

i actually found this site rather cheap :) than compared to my lfs,lps, and petco. 7.99 at petco and 4.00 for these ones, and keep mind, these ones are rather large, and there is all diferent kinds of stuff...

For me, with shipping, three of those equals out to $7.47 apiece :( 4 is $7.10 but still kind of pricey in my mind. I might order some anyway if they're bigger than the ones I can find locally!

For me, with shipping, three of those equals out to $7.47 apiece :( 4 is $7.10 but still kind of pricey in my mind. I might order some anyway if they're bigger than the ones I can find locally!

ok kayla, another thing, if you go on amazon.com and you find those moss balls at full price, if you get them at vfull price, in the same box, then, no shipping fee...... :whisper:thumb:

its called this wierd express thing, that my mom does when she gets books if their from different stores on amazon :)

Oh, it might be Amazon Prime! My friend has that. It costs $80 a year though. But with all the stuff I order on Amazon, it might be worth it...

wow! you sure know alot thanks chai!!! post a pic of the queen! i want to see her! they do sound so fun..... i want one!! hahah chai, why you so cool?? :teehee is that what your profile pic is? i cant wait im sooooo excited! :happydance
Queen actually just arrived yesterday. :o

Had a very rough trip and fell apart on arrival. She has stitches for the time being so no pics! :teehee

Okay maybe one.

She's "recovering" very well.. But is a little smaller than she should be. (Should be about the size of my palm, but it's only been a day since arrival!)

This is the "good side"... You don't want to see the bad side. :(

x6GSYdgl.jpg

Edited by Chai