Will my giant oranda get stress in a 55 tank ?

Hello everyone, I recently bought a 9 inches giant oranda, very beautiful and big, I have her in my long 55 gallon tank now with 4 other 5 to 7 inch oranda, he shows not moving much and bottom sitting lately.(water is all good). I am thinking to get a separate tank for her, but my apartment space is limited, not enough space to switch to a bigger tank, but there is a corner can fit a 55 gallon cube, I know longer is better but the space is only allow a cube. Please give me some ideas and is it ok to have her in a 55 gallon cube tank?

I believe most of the more experienced members would suggest separating them, many believe 15-20 gallons per fish is the minimum. Maybe one of them will be along soon to answer the question more thoroughly. Good luck! I hope your goldie gets better.

I would get a second 55 and move the two largest goldfish to it. Or upgrade the tank you have to a 100 gallon. Or rehome some of the goldfish.

Good luck

I agree with Hidr regarding adding another fifty-five, at the very least. :/ That's way too many fish, for that size tank.

Can you post exact water parameter numbers, as well as the type of test kit that you're using, so we can try to figure out what's going on with your giant oranda? Was he properly quarantined, for at least four weeks, before adding him to the main tank?

Oh wow. What a cool sounding fish! Id love to see a picture of it! 9 inches! Does that include the tail? What a cool find!

Sadly like everyone else has said, that 55 gallon is good for 3 fish. It sounds like it has been overstocked which leaves me to wonder if the fish is suffering because the amount of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate in the tank is too high. Are you able to test for those numbers?

How often do you do water changes and when you do them, how much of the water do you change?

Also, the 55 cube might not be that bad.... Big Orandas need more room to turn around and a cube tank would offer just that.

Edited by DieselPlower

Normally, three in a 55 is fine, but if they are giants, that might be too much. Perhaps you could add the cube and have two in there and three in your existing 55.

That is my suggestion, too!

You are definitely overstocked with adding your newest big Oranda. I too would love to see a photo of him/her or better yet a video. Your other fish are pretty big also and I would love to see them also.

For me personally I would not purchase a cube aquarium for a goldfish and especially for one of that size. This is just my opinion on what I would do/not do.

If your new fish is bottom sitting it sounds like you need to recheck your param and make sure they are all in check like above comments were made. I also hope that you qt the fish. If your still concerned about your fish you can post a new topic in the dx section and answer all the questions along with a video of how your fish is acting. A mod can then assist you more appropriately with all the information that you provided.

I hope your new fish will be okay.

I would get a second 55 and move the two largest goldfish to it. Or upgrade the tank you have to a 100 gallon. Or rehome some of the goldfish.

Good luck

Yes, 5 goldfish in a 55 gallon is way overstocked. Do, what Hidr said and you should be fine.

Oh wow. What a cool sounding fish! Id love to see a picture of it! 9 inches! Does that include the tail? What a cool find!

Sadly like everyone else has said, that 55 gallon is good for 3 fish. It sounds like it has been overstocked which leaves me to wonder if the fish is suffering because the amount of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate in the tank is too high. Are you able to test for those numbers?

How often do you do water changes and when you do them, how much of the water do you change?

Also, the 55 cube might not be that bad.... Big Orandas need more room to turn around and a cube tank would offer just that.

You are definitely overstocked with adding your newest big Oranda. I too would love to see a photo of him/her or better yet a video. Your other fish are pretty big also and I would love to see them also.

For me personally I would not purchase a cube aquarium for a goldfish and especially for one of that size. This is just my opinion on what I would do/not do.

If your new fish is bottom sitting it sounds like you need to recheck your param and make sure they are all in check like above comments were made. I also hope that you qt the fish. If your still concerned about your fish you can post a new topic in the dx section and answer all the questions along with a video of how your fish is acting. A mod can then assist you more appropriately with all the information that you provided.

I hope your new fish will be okay.

Thanks for all replies, seems like I am overstock my tank, instead getting a 55 gallon cube in my living room, I decided to get a 180 gallon tank, but it will have to be install in my kitchen, that is the only possible space left in my apartment. It may not look good but for the best of all my babies.

and sadly this morning my 9'' the biggest oranda shows little reddening on her wen now, she is currently in a 20 gallon medicate tank, not sure if it's overcrowd caused her sick, my water is 0 ammonia, nitrite and 7.8 ph. once she got better, I will transfer her to a new 180 tank and take a nice photo share with you guys.

I want to share some of my other two large size oranda pictures, they are also big, 8'' but not sure how to repost to this topic, or should I start a new topic at the fish photo page??

sorry, still exploring this forum, anyone could tell me how to update a photo to this topic?? thanks

you can upload your pics to photobucket or another photo hosting site, then linking them here :)

Please feel free to start a thread in the diagnosis section of the forum if you would like some help with your oranda

sorry, still exploring this forum, anyone could tell me how to update a photo to this topic?? thanks

you can upload your pics to photobucket or another photo hosting site, then linking them here :)

Please feel free to start a thread in the diagnosis section of the forum if you would like some help with your oranda

thank you for the info, tithra , but when i try to upload the link, it pops out '' You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.'' :(

i will be post a pic of my gigantic oranda to the diagnosis section, hopefully she gets better tomorrow.