How to feed telescopes?

Scarlett

I just bought three butterfly tail telescopes and they are gorgeous. I fed them some of my floating Hikari Oranda food and it didn't seem to agree with them, as they went and sat on the bottom of the tank. I went and bought $35!!!! worth of ultra high quality sinking goldfish pellets, but the problem is, they keep missing them.

What am I doing wrong? Please help!

It may take a while for them to get get used to a new environment and a new way of feeding :o My teles didn't take to the pellets right away at first. I would drop them in the same spot every day. They root around the tank all day for food so they'd get to it eventually. Whatever was still in the tank after 30 minutes, I'd clean up. Eventually, they realized where the food was coming from and knew where to expect it and got better at eating the pellets as they sank to the bottom :) It requires some patience.

There might be a better way to do it, but this is how I did it :P Hopefully other members have more advice to contribute as well.

• Supporter

Yep, they will eventually work it out!

(Yay another Adelaiden!)

How did you know I was from Adelaide? :)

there is some information displayed under your avatar from when you were completing your profile :)

Image2_zpsc926f956.jpg

Those pellets are too big. For that size fish, I would do 1mm, or may be 2mm.

I am also of the opinion that no matter how big your goldfish is though, 2mm is probably the biggest size you use for feeding.

I wish I knew this before I paid for a $35 container. Back to the fish shop tomorrow! *sighs*

May be you can trade it back? I've just found that the big pellets tend to contribute to floatiness.

Hi Scarlett,

I was just speaking with Helen, and she advises me that she uses the 3mm size NLS with her pearlie, who is not larger than your teles. In light of this, I would continue trying with these size to see how they work, especially because they are so expensive.

(Yay another Adelaiden!)

there is some information displayed under your avatar from when you were completing your profile :)

That's kinda creepy. lol It must have got my info from Facebook. I have more fish now, how do I update it?

• Supporter

(Yay another Adelaiden!)

That's kinda creepy. lol It must have got my info from Facebook. I have more fish now, how do I update it?

no, it doesn't work that way, at some stage, you would have keyed the info in.

in anycase, click on your pic, it will direct you to your profile, on the right hand side there is the button 'edit my profile' click on that and change what you need to change :)

I would continue with the sinking pellets rather than the floating type. If you put them in the same place each day, the teles will eventually learn where to go to eat. Some people even use a tank safe feeding dish at the bottom of the tank.

I use the nls 3mm goldfish formula.

No probs with my telescopes.

My pandas even eat it and they were tiny when I got them

Keep feeding at the same tme of day in the same spot.

They will be fine.

I use the nls 3mm goldfish formula.

No probs with my telescopes.

My pandas even eat it and they were tiny when I got them

Keep feeding at the same tme of day in the same spot.

They will be fine.

I'm just going to throw it out there, so that people are aware.

There are at least 3 of us who have had run ins with the pellets 3mm or larger. Of course problems don't manifest right away, but for some (not all), they will.

In the end, there is actually no reason that a fish should eat all of its food in one gulp. It's much better when it's all in smaller parts. :)

The saga continues...

I have now bought Hikari Lionhead Sinking Micro Pellets. My two little Pearlscales have seemed to figure out where I'm dropping the food, the three telescopes... Not so much. Will they catch on to what the other fish are doing?

And...

How long should I leave uneaten food in the tank?