Is my fantail too fat?

I've only had Mai Tai for a few weeks and I recently switched to Hikari Lionhead from homemade gel food (because my ryukin was floating). I don't have an exact number, but it seems like Mai Tai has put on a ton of weight! She doesn't look much bigger, just way more rotund. Am I feeding her too much? She eats the most, but she's also twice as big as my other two. Here's a video of her:

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag7/laurathe3xplora/9084D3EC-ED3F-4C1D-A3E9-319AB52983BB-5109-000002A35E7CA3EF_zps7c1e78f3.mp4

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your fantail is full of eggs. And maybe not a fantail.

:yikes Really? Oh no do I have to do anything? Would my flirty male be chasing her if that was the case? Because he's been really well-behaved lately. And if she's not a fantail, what would she be?

Could be. She almost looks like a calico pearlscale without the pearls :rofl
It seems like she just puffed right up over the last week. And that's why I posted her tonight because I'm watching her eat and I'm like "when did she turn into a pearlscale??" :rofl3 I've never had a goldfish big enough, old enough, or healthy enough to have eggs.

i am thinking that may be the case too. if you can gently feel her belly to see if it is firm or soft? and let us know :)

Helen, I felt her belly and it is very soft but bounces back

i am thinking that may be the case too. if you can gently feel her belly to see if it is firm or soft? and let us know :)

Sounds like my belly :rofl

Sounds like my belly :rofl
Omg Jared :rofl2

• Supporter

mine too Jared... unfortunately! but it is winter here atm, so i'm to be excused.. :rofl

Laura, i would just keep an eye on her poop, at the first signs of strangeness such as empty or white casing, stringy poop etc.. all the usual signs of something not quite right.. also, test water params regularly as sometimes egg bound fish and in season males can foul up the water quickly...

and for now, just in case she's constipated or bloated for any other reson to do with her digestion, add peas to her diet.

keep us updated :)

mine too Jared... unfortunately! but it is winter here atm, so i'm to be excused.. :rofl

Laura, i would just keep an eye on her poop, at the first signs of strangeness such as empty or white casing, stringy poop etc.. all the usual signs of something not quite right.. also, test water params regularly as sometimes egg bound fish and in season males can foul up the water quickly...

and for now, just in case she's constipated or bloated for any other reson to do with her digestion, add peas to her diet.

keep us updated :)

You guys haha

Ok, I will keep an eye on her. Maybe I will do a water change tomorrow. I'll try to see her poop and I will add some peas. How long should I expect to wait until the eggs are out?

• Supporter

provided she is holding eggs? not sure :rofl

seriously.. i know nothing for egg impacted females or even how long before they release them. hopefully someone in the know will chime in to answer you :)

Could be. She almost looks like a calico pearlscale without the pearls :rofl

That is exactly what I was thinking when I watched the video!! :lol3

Unfortunately, it doesn't say much in that regard.

At this point, having somewhat normal poop is a better sign, compared to white stringy poop, for example.

Darn, ok. At least she seems healthy according to her poo.