Sign in to follow this  
ElaineSelene

Water test... tell me more about it?

Elaine,

I do think that your fish are OK for now, but I just wanted to make sure you know that that amount of filtration is not high. It's just about OK.

I am one of those people who have 4 big fish in a 55, and I will tell you that while it is definitely doable, it's not a walk in the park. Water changes are every 4-5 days, with 80-90% being removed, and 100% every 4 weeks. I have 2 HOBs with a total of 750 gph on the tank, as well as an Eheim Ecco Pro with massive media capability. Even then, I don't think I have high filtration. It might be just enough. :)

Elaine,

I don't know what the link was, but it's not important at this point. 12 is an awfully odd number, and doesn't make much sense to me.

Here's why we recommend that we recommend nitrates to always stay below 40ppm, and better if it's under 20 ppm at all times. Most ideally, nitrates should also be zero.

The EPA sets out a cut off of 40ppm for nitrates in our tap water, because at that level, it can cause problems for babies. So, I think it makes sense for us to adapt the same cut off, knowing that nitrates can also be damaging to fish, both acutely and chronically.

The reason why we say it's better to keep it at 20 or lower is because with our very inaccurate color test, it's very hard to tell between 20 and 40. So, if you are seeing 20, it's time to change the water. :)

Oh. Ok. Thank you. I'll post my new readings in a moment.

Wow well that is one crazy reading. Some people might tell you that your tank is overstocked. I seems since the fish are smaller it should be OK but since the water tested so terribly, it may be otherwise. How long before your small water change did you do your last water change? The tank has to be completing the full cycle since there are Nitrates but apparently there arent enough of the bacteria yet. As previously noted a large water change is needed and I would just test the water again in a few days. Is there anything else in the tank, like a pleco or some snails etc?

I know 3 is usually the limit. But I have such high filtration on it I thought it would be O.K.

I did a 20% or a little less last time. There is NOTHING else in the tank. :)

You are actually perfectly filtered for that tank, not overfiltered. 10x the tank volume in gph is generally what we aim for with goldfish so with 550gph your filtration is spot on.

Oh. I thought the 75 was good by itself. Hmm. Ok.

Elaine,

I do think that your fish are OK for now, but I just wanted to make sure you know that that amount of filtration is not high. It's just about OK.

I am one of those people who have 4 big fish in a 55, and I will tell you that while it is definitely doable, it's not a walk in the park. Water changes are every 4-5 days, with 80-90% being removed, and 100% every 4 weeks. I have 2 HOBs with a total of 750 gph on the tank, as well as an Eheim Ecco Pro with massive media capability. Even then, I don't think I have high filtration. It might be just enough. :)

Ok... so my BF told me wrong but I guess he was thinking about turtles...

I didn't edit my post above quick enough :P

Seriously? 50 - 80% a week? DANG. Well according to my boyfriend (and his turtles) I am only supposed to do 20% every maybe 2 weeks... and never change all the water... and ummm... only clean the tank once ever 3 - 6 months?

Seriously? 50 - 80% a week? DANG. Well according to my boyfriend (and his turtles) I am only supposed to do 20% every maybe 2 weeks... and never change all the water... and ummm... only clean the tank once ever 3 - 6 months?

Not for goldfish.

I do 80-100% WCs, and the frequence is every 5 days, although the 100% WCs are every 4 weeks.

As you can see by the results of your water tests, your boyfriend has no idea what he is talking about. You will get good advice on this forum.

Not for goldfish.

I do 80-100% WCs, and the frequence is every 5 days, although the 100% WCs are every 4 weeks.

Drat. Maybe that's why my levels got soo high? This is not cool. :( I'll work on doing this. *sigh* I can start by doing 80% once a week. Then move up... I have to get into a habit. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

As you can see by the results of your water tests, your boyfriend has no idea what he is talking about. You will get good advice on this forum.

Well, like I said. He was talking about what he heard about for his TURTLES. Maybe it is different? I'll look more into goldfish care from now on.

80% once weekly with your stock and their size is very very good, and a good place to start.

Now you get a better idea of why we do pond pumps and water changers. :rofl

80% once weekly with your stock and their size is very very good, and a good place to start.

Now you get a better idea of why we do pond pumps and water changers. :rofl

Haha. Yeah. Thanks for the help. :)

OK so now my readings are

PH: 7.5

Ammonia: 0.25 (ish)

Nitrite: 0.25 ppm

Nitrate: 2 ppm

I have a question... my boyfriend says that what killed my tropical fish is that I did too much too frequent water changes (like 25% once a week?) so why are goldfish soo different? does anyone know?

Double dose Prime and retest in 24 hours. Please post your results then. :)

If there is a lot of chlorine in the water it could have killed them if you didn't use a water conditioner. It in general, you can never do to many water changes. Imagine if you had to live in the same water that you went to the bathroom in and breathe the same air you already expelled every single day... Would you be like "no don't give me clean air and man i love swimming in my urine!"?

Edited by DieselPlower

OK so now my readings are

PH: 7.5

Ammonia: 0.25 (ish)

Nitrite: 0.25 ppm

Nitrate: 2 ppm

I have a question... my boyfriend says that what killed my tropical fish is that I did too much too frequent water changes (like 25% once a week?) so why are goldfish soo different? does anyone know?

Some tropicals can be very sensitive to even the smallest changes in water chemistry, and because their biomass together is so much smaller than a typical goldfish tank, smaller WCs are OK and possibly even recommended.

This is not true with goldfish. You can't maintain the maintenance schedule like you would with tropicals unless you are stocked at 50 gallons per fish, or even 100 gallons per fish.

If there is a lot of chlorine in the water it could have killed them if you didn't use a water conditioner. It in general, you can never do to many water changes. Imagine if you had to live in the same water that you went to the bathroom in and breathe the same air you already expelled every single day... Would you be like "no don't give me clean air and man i love swimming in my urine!"?

DP that is totally hysterical! And honestly, I never looked at it that way until someone else on the forum described water changes in that manner and I learned to step it up!!

The positive thing about seeing nitrites here is that it means the bacteria needed for breaking down ammonia are now there doing their job. The presence of nitrates is also good as those bacteria are growing in numbers and will convert your nitrites into nitrates (which are less harmful for your fish) but still need to be removed with a large weekly water change. "Usually" once you start seeing nitrites your cycle will complete in a couple of weeks hopefully, meaning you will not have ammonia or nitrites, but elevating nitrates after a water change and before your next one. Make sure you test daily now and follow all the instructions you have been given to keep your fish safe :)

Edited by CindiL

Your stocking and filtration seem fine. How much and how often do you perform water changes?

You're starting off a lot better than many of us. I started with a bowl. :peeka

Thanks everyone. Will do as told... *feeling very defeated*

Don't feel defeated! At the stores they tell you goldies are super easy fish and require little tanks, little filtration and little care. You learn quickly that is a joke and that they need large tanks, alot of filtration and for care very large water changes every week to live long and healthy lives. It won't take long now for your tank to cycle but you may be doing lots of water changes in the next couple of weeks ;)

I think I mentioned in another thread I cycled with fish in too. It was daunting and frustrating to say the least and I thought the large every 24-48hr water changes would never end, but thankfully they do!

Hang in there! :)

Thanks everyone. Will do as told... *feeling very defeated*

No need to feel bad. It's a learning process. And that is why this site is here. You may just need to do more water changes. I do two 50% water changes a week in my 55 and that seems to keep my levels where they need to be.

I used to change most of the water weekly with a murray river turtle. Considering the size most of them get to and their waste production, they need just as rigorous cleaning as fish tanks, if not more in my opinion :) You should show him this link http://www.exoticsvet.com.au/TurtleCare2pg_dvella.pdf It's no rule to how much you do remove, but it should be weekly like fish for the exact same reasons like pollutants, bacteria build up, etc :) It's a very good document- I wish it was written when I had turtles

Good luck, and sorry to barge in with this turtle post- just meaning to help where possible :)