Tele troubles

NeonVodka

So, it turns out Porsche is *le gasp* quite a little piggie. And doesn't mind one bit to take her food and her tankmate's since I moved them to the 40. The problem? Her tank buddie is a black moor the same size as her. It's kinda funny to watch them in the tank because the little moor follows her around like a puppy.

I'm trying to figure out how I can feed Dexter what he needs without Porsche vaccuming it all up before he has a chance to find it. I've tried taking some foods I know the bigger fish like (like bannana) and putting it on a clip, but the babies don't seem to have much interest in it. It's been like this for nearly three weeks.

I mean, both of them are teeny-tiny. I have to pre-soak pellets, and I am so very afraid of overfeeding Porsche. But the poor tele with his huge eyes and tiny waist make me worry he's not getting enough. I know at the LFS he was in a tank with other moors nearly triple his size and wasn't getting enough.

Does anyone have any advice?

Edited by NeonVodka

I haven't tried separating them, yet. It's mostly because he seems to follow her to food. I'll try dropping the sinking pellets along the side of the tank Dexter forages the most to see if he can get a few bites before the "food vac" gets them. I've never had teles before, so this is new. I knew they had vision problems, but didn't expect it to be like this. I still love him though :)

Edited by NeonVodka

I have hand fed my slower goldfish (including Hashi). Handfeeding works great when other methods do not and does not require separating them. It can take awhile to teach them to hand feed, but it can absolutely be done, just takes patience. The other thing you might consider is throwing in a divider during feeding times. This is an easy way to temporarily separate them for feedings without having to move one to another container. You don't even have to fully hook up the divider, just hold it there for a few minutes while you feed.

They'll hand feed even when they're the size of pennies? Wow! I guess I'll start working on that so Dexter can get food more easily. Until then I guess I'm going to have to put up a divider during feeding times. Would a feeding ring help him eat?

They'll hand feed even when they're the size of pennies? Wow! I guess I'll start working on that so Dexter can get food more easily. Until then I guess I'm going to have to put up a divider during feeding times. Would a feeding ring help him eat?

oh geez that is tiny! :P I have no idea if they will hand feed when they are that tiny or not :idont it doesn't hurt to try.

I'd assume that the other fish would just follow him to the feeding ring right? plus you would have to use floating food with the feeding ring, which isn't ideal.

There is something I thought about a few minutes ago, but I'd have to use raw veggies and a lot of supervision. I'm thinking about using a clip similiar to what's in the big goldie tank to hold, say, a slice of bannana or some romaine. That way it's in one fixed location and I can make sure they both are getting what they need. At least until they get big enough that I can hand feed them food.

Right now he's digging through the substrate (river rock) for some of the presoaked pellets I dropped along his feeding route. He's digging, and I think he's found at least one piece.

Think that'll work Tithra?

There is something I thought about a few minutes ago, but I'd have to use raw veggies and a lot of supervision. I'm thinking about using a clip similiar to what's in the big goldie tank to hold, say, a slice of bannana or some romaine. That way it's in one fixed location and I can make sure they both are getting what they need. At least until they get big enough that I can hand feed them food.

Right now he's digging through the substrate (river rock) for some of the presoaked pellets I dropped along his feeding route. He's digging, and I think he's found at least one piece.

Think that'll work Tithra?

You could try the veggie clip, I use two in my tank at separate ends so that they each get a turn. Careful with feeding fruits too often, they are really a very occasional treat (every few weeks) because they are high in sugar. If you feed fruit citrus fruits are ideal because they are a good source of vitamin c for the fish.

But, you'll still need to feed pellets as a source of protein even if you do the veggie clip. It's important for young fish especially who are doing a lot of growing to have a good source of protein regularly. Have you tried frozen blood worms? They make cool worm feeder cones which might help your slower guy get some food http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24845

another thought... do you think he is having trouble finding them if they are in the substrate? You could try a plate at the bottom of the tank and put the pellets on the plate so that there is no substrate to deal with.

Hmmm, I haven't tried the plate yet. I added the substrate this morning after I observed Dexter's eating habits and just why Porsche has nearly tripled in size. I won't be able to get bloodworms for another two weeks, but I do have some finely ground frozen shrimp (jello?) in the freezer I could defrost. It was supposed to be for my oscar, but she turned her nose up at it.

Could I put the jello-y cube on the plate on the substrate? It would be big enough for the two of them, and I'm sure it would have plenty of protein for them.

Hmmm, I haven't tried the plate yet. I added the substrate this morning after I observed Dexter's eating habits and just why Porsche has nearly tripled in size. I won't be able to get bloodworms for another two weeks, but I do have some finely ground frozen shrimp (jello?) in the freezer I could defrost. It was supposed to be for my oscar, but she turned her nose up at it.

Could I put the jello-y cube on the plate on the substrate? It would be big enough for the two of them, and I'm sure it would have plenty of protein for them.

I don't see why not, shrimp jello should be fine for them ;)

*confetti falls to parade music*

Thank you Tithra! That stuff should be a magnet to fishy noses that even the tele could follow :) I'm glad you helped me find a way for Dex to eat. I'll try it tonight when I get off work.

Hm... After two feedings, one this morning and last night, I think Dex might be totally blind. He did get one or two bites of the shrimp "jello", but as soon as he saw Porsche, he swims right behind her, even if she's not going for food. Dexter seems to like getting as close to the space between the bottom of her tail and her two anal fins, literally putting one huge eye on each side of her.

It's so strange.

I've tried the feeding plate, and he ignores it for this odd method of moving around. It's only done when food is involved. He'll do it very rarely through the day and spends most of his time picking bits of food that are stuck in the moss ball.