Sign in to follow this  
Halethrain

The 40B: A Journey (Super Pic Heavy)

When I first got a tank, I learned soon after that 20g was only enough for one goldie. I had wanted two, and so (only a few months after my initial purchase :glare:) I knew I had to upgrade.

I looked high and low for a stand in the odd dimensions of the 40. Coming up empty handed and after many, MANY hours of looking through DIY, I got off my patoot, took a trip to Lowe's and the story begins!

I have never built anything before and I was seriously lacking in tools for the task I was about to undertake. I knew this would set me back in my cost-effective ideas of building my own stand, however, it was necessary and I will find many more projects to make good use of it. Off-topic; I think this Hitachi saw was great. Highly rated and decently priced entry-level miter saw. It cut through everything with ease. I recommend it!

This is not a paid advertisement. This is a public service announcement.

This is a recording.

0BZgS2F.jpg?1

GYkxItD.jpg?1

KaBEJVu.jpg?1

I chose some knobs in a polished pewter finish and a slim, profile handle for the DIY glass canopy I will also be making later.

cyTvNpB.jpg?1

utIgwh0.jpg?1

Still deciding on a shade of black, but I'm pretty sure I'm going with the one photo'd. It has a very pretty and subtle dark blue tone to it.

The next day, I jumped from my bed like a kid on Christmas, hastily threw on some clothes and lugged me and my supplies over to my grandpa's. I knew he'd have all the other tools and supplies I would need. (Thanks Grandpa!) He mostly let me to my own devices at my Grandma's insistence that it was my project and he should let me do it myself. That didn't keep him away (I'm sure he thought I would chop off my hand :lol3 ) but I was happy to have his help measuring and holding things while I sawed and put it together.

Unfortunately in my rush to go over I forgot to take my iPod that day and so the images pick up here:

nGSuVrc.jpg?1

zQflndM.jpg?1

The base was entirely made of 2x4's and I doubled each load-bearing corner because I'm a worrywart. Another super product I would recommend to any who don't have the upper arm strength to muscle in a 2 1/2 inch wood screw through two 2x4's like myself:

6sXHRdW.jpg?2

They have this half drill bit tip that makes the hole as it goes along, completely omitting the step of pre-drilling every hole and they went in incredibly easy.

Awesome.

i4tpgl1.jpg?1

sLZukC5.jpg?2

Anyway, back to the stand! I wasn't sure if cross braces were needed as I think most support is really just needed on the corners of a tank this size, but I had extra lumber, so hey.

jLLYYtR.jpg?1

rZG1OAZ.jpg?1

Another trip to the Lowe's in search of what I would use as my wrap yielded these interlocking panels.

aAXPqCn.jpg?1

bItw73A.jpg?2

They were really easy to work with. :) I got straight to work the next day

VzvSm5T.jpg?1

3LS1ZlH.jpg?1

tFnuVZE.jpg?1

EjJD2xm.jpg?1

Finished wrapping the back and one side and added a 1x3 strip to top and bottom.

VmAUrAF.jpg?2

zVHkw0x.jpg?1

5VmXNRB.jpg?1

HRH83vk.jpg?1

Z1jR5OP.jpg?2

The end of another day and the start of another.

After finishing the wrap and tired of trying to maneuver around on the work table I dragged the stand outside.

0FOxQTI.jpg?1

EuHDJsG.jpg?2

ew4PXC8.jpg?4

fT7LR3Q.jpg?2

The 45's definitely weren't finished carpenter quality but I couldn't complain for a first attempt! ;)

wwyeYyy.jpg?2

MvWGkqS.jpg?1

My grandpa used a Jigsaw to cut these L shaped corners to fit around the opening

IGNiLi9.jpg?2

I cut short pieces to line the top and bottom of the opening

ItmX8Na.jpg?2

qR2LYXm.jpg?1

That's all for right now. Not pictured was tapping in the finishing nails, filling with wood filler and sanding. Next on the to-do list is a thorough sanding, painting and topping with a polyurethane on both the stand and doors (also not pictured). Stay tuned!

6 2x4x8 - 18$

2 1x4x8 - 10$

2 1x3x8 - 4$

2 pkg plank panels - 24$

2 self-closing hinges (I already had two) - 5$

2 knobs - 5-6$

1 pkg screws - 8$

Cost of stand ~ 75$

And of course some of these things were optional and didn't need added. :)

Oh wow, that's nice. That stand looks amazing! I can't wait to read the rest of your journey! :)

Looks great!

Certainly looks carpenter quality to me. I'm impressed! You have a beautiful stand, great job! I was seriously thinking about building one myself.

And I'm jealous of your nice garage!

Edited by MexiMike83

Looks good what kind of srain are you going to use? Or are you? I love working with wood and plan on building my next aquarium and stand :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Excellent work :thumbs:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Nice. I enjoyed seeing all your pics as this is something I could never do myself lol!

Can't wait to see it finished.

Looks great!!!! You have done a fantastic job!!!!

Excellent work! Come make one for me!!

I'm going to look for those screws -- I hate pre-drilling. :)

I love DIY but get nervous about doing anything important..need more faith in myself! I'm sure there are alternatives for people with say less upper body strength like you said, etc. How long have you had your fish? Pics? :D

It's great! And built like a brick house LOL! The commercial stand for my 90 gal isn't anywhere NEAR as sturdy--so yeah, you probably way overbuilt it, but what the heck? At least you won't have to worry. ;-)

Way to go!!

I love that pre-drilling-free screw you got. Wish I knew about those with my other various projects. Maybe they would have come out a lot better (probably not :rolleyes:). You did an awesome job :D

Edited by jenzaar

wow!! awesome job :) looking forward to seeing it all finished and in place with your tank :)

Thanks so much everyone! It means a lot to hear other fish-keepers think it is turning out well. I'm having a lot of fun making this stand. Putting a lot of thought and care into it. :) I'll probably be heading to the store again today or tomorrow to get paint mixed and purchase the polyurethane. Pic update should be soon enough.

Certainly looks carpenter quality to me. I'm impressed! You have a beautiful stand, great job! I was seriously thinking about building one myself.

And I'm jealous of your nice garage!

Aw, thanks. :wub: You really should! That's actually just a shed turned workshop!

Looks good what kind of srain are you going to use? Or are you? I love working with wood and plan on building my next aquarium and stand :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Although I really do like stained wood and varnish, I can't get past the clash of the black rims and light fixture and other things with a stained wood stand. :( To me it also feels like black brings out more color in the aquarium.

Nice. I enjoyed seeing all your pics as this is something I could never do myself lol!

Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks! It's not as intimidating as it may look. Really. :) It'd be so worth it to give it a try assuming you don't have to buy a saw like I did.

Excellent work! Come make one for me!!

I'm going to look for those screws -- I hate pre-drilling. :)

That would be really fun to be able to help someone else make these. If anyone lives in a local area to me, I wouldn't mind at all helping someone out in building one. :D And you totally should. It was like nothing to put one in.

I love DIY but get nervous about doing anything important..need more faith in myself! I'm sure there are alternatives for people with say less upper body strength like you said, etc. How long have you had your fish? Pics? :D

I love DIY, too! I make smaller, less grandeur things like macrame plant hangers and crocheted pot holders, though. D: I've had my fish for about... 4 months? Well the one is new, about 1 month. I've been trying an app called Fast Camera to try taking better pictures of them with my iPod 5. Hopefully I can add some to one of the threads around here soon or start my own. :)

It's great! And built like a brick house LOL! The commercial stand for my 90 gal isn't anywhere NEAR as sturdy--so yeah, you probably way overbuilt it, but what the heck? At least you won't have to worry. ;-)

Ha, I know. :| I had enough lumber to make the cross braces and to double each corner. Only negative was added weight of the tank/stand, but at least I know my stand won't collapse!

Way to go!!

I love that pre-drilling-free screw you got. Wish I knew about those with my other various projects. Maybe they would have come out a lot better (probably not :rolleyes:). You did an awesome job :D

Thanks. Before this, I had no idea they had screws like these. So glad I decided to try them. I'm not sure what range of lengths they had. Still can't believe how easy they were to use. You should definitely keep them in mind!

very impressive! No could ever tell you've never done this before

* UPDATE *

I continued by squaring up the doors and penciling them up to sand off the overhang.

9eCSeij.jpg?1

1YpFaB5.jpg?1

738sEzx.jpg?1

Removed the temp backings that were used to hold them together during gluing and set the faux middle.

21Qrkxt.jpg?1

I doubled over the stand looking for things that needed sanded and remembered I needed to fill this big knot. :|

Using sawdust from the collection bag and some wood glue I made a thick paste and built up the hole. After drying, I went over with wood filler and a putty knife to level it off.

wCpBUVP.jpg?1

GJV7ErT.jpg?1

After sanding it definitely wasn't as noticeable. :)

Added the backs onto the doors and attached the hinges and measured out where they needed to go on the stand. Did this step before painting so I would know where to place them and have holes ready to go so it wouldn't risk messing up the paint afterwards.

hgi2681.jpg?1

HhfWlTm.jpg?1

After this it was hauled over to my house so I could paint and poly it inside.

Mere minutes after placing it on the ground, pudge thought he had a new clubhouse.

vpPai9e.jpg?1

Got out the wood filler again after noticing several lines and nicks in the doors.

hnPvo0S.jpg?1

QWteRRJ.jpg?1

GRZKl1i.jpg?1

4IP8WMn.jpg?1

I left them there to dry for sanding and cut up some corner moulding for each edge of the stand using some old stuff I had replaced previously from doorways in the house. Waste not, want not.

cEfYMXk.jpg?1

GNbndqM.jpg?1

Sanded everything. Wiped it down with a cloth. Time to break out the paint!

qYtfb9J.jpg?1

Sadly, the color I liked needed a special base and was not available in flat. I ended up going with a shade of Valspar called Jet Black.

p2CkmTP.jpg?1

(really like sponge rollers. :D)

j5S3vq9.jpg?1

OffygOd.jpg?1

OQFiFLV.jpg?1

Went in with some of those cheap sponge brushes from the $ store to get between each interlock in the panels. Painted the top, wasn't really sure what to do here?

lxyrevD.jpg?1

aHRmUDI.jpg?1

smzMJEW.jpg?1

JCQ7r6L.jpg?1

I let the paint dry overnight and began the polyurethane the following day. I chose this stuff.

t087XSN.jpg?1

Liked the idea of a matte poly. :)

This is the first coat on the doors. And this is pretty much what it looked like 3 coats later.

Wet.

wpYhZy7.jpg?1

Dry.

339an7G.jpg?2

Continued around the stand. 2 hours in between each coat.

wpU7RWg.jpg?1

The next day I reattached the hardware and put on the doors.

Hr19FkS.jpg?1

EP6VsUv.jpg?1

I placed it in the living room for now and I had to see the height of the tank sitting on top. Was lucky enough to catch the last dollar per gallon sale. ^.^

9U8qzSV.jpg?1

(the light kinda shows how the matte finish looks) It's quite subtle and pretty.

Hvni4Pm.jpg?1

Not sure yet if I'll try adding a styrofoam layer under the tank. I'll do some browsing around on this.

pzWmJ4u.jpg?1

JRsEjLU.jpg?1

Sorry about the plant. Had to about stand on top of it to get a picture from this angle. Lol.

All that's left is to add the knobs and then start working on the glass canopy.

Your stand looks great! Enjoy your new tank! By the way, you don't need styrofoam under the tank--just make sure the surface is level.

Edited by schoolie