Little Blue Oranda

FishyMandy

• Supporter

Went to get more food. Saw a tiny little Blue Oranda. She wouldn't have been bigger than 1.5 inches. Unfortunately I didn't have my phone to take a photo. I wanted to bring her home so bad ;-; She was so cute and doing the "take me home" dance. I had to let reasoning win out though :( I already have 6 goldies in an 80 gallon and my QT tub is in use.

If I knew for sure if I'd be able to upgrade in the next month or so I'd probably have gotten her, but with Charlie needing surgery any money I was putting away for the new tank will be going on him.

Maybe one day I'll have a beautiful Oranda

• Supporter

It was really really hard. I know that if I knew for sure I'd be able to upgrade she would have come home with me xD But once Charlie is all better, I'll start focussing on saving for a tank upgrade, and once that's all done I can look for the perfect oranda. (I admit it's really hard to stop thinking about her!)

There's always the Rubbermaid bin option :

;)

+1

Personally this option's looking good

Sterilite is usually even cheaper. Time quarantine is over, you'll figure out how to upgrade your main tank. Is there a Craigslist for your area?

You can ask yourzelf, "How likely is it that the fish will be adopted into an appropriately knowledgeable, skilled home if she doesn't come home with me?" Someone (wiser than me) once said, usually you end up having more regrets over things you DIDN'T do.

Keep us posted!

Please accept my apologies to you for having been so insular! Plastic tubs, message boards specific to the country I'm posting from are absolutely no help.

Rationalization and creative problem-solving are international, though! lol :D

Edited by Steve1107

I hate it when that happens, it makes me sad but I'm glad you decided to not to get the little goldie. I think you probably did the right thing :)

• Supporter

Haha the plastic tub option drives my family nuts though. And all my tank upgrade money is now going to my dog :P I tried to rationalize it, I really did. But I know now as soon as I can upgrade, my next goldie is going to be an oranda.

I'm not sure what to say because I was in your circumstances about 10 days ago. I saw a beautiful Blue Oranda that was big and left him behind. I kept thinking about that fish for several days and couldn't take it any longer. I went back and purchased her. She's being qt in a 20g now. I'm not too bad with the three fish I have now and adding one more. I do keep up with my huge wc's. But none the less I'll have one too many fish in my 55. I'm thinking of options.

I hope you find peace at whatever your final decision is. An above comment was made from Steve1107 that I don't want to believe Or it will just drive me nuts. We don't know what kind of home the fish will go to. I'd rather believe they will be in great homes like the ones we give our fish. :)

@4prettyfish

Apologies owed to you as well!

Please do keep in mind, the thought above should be used ONLY during the final stages when you're giving in to temptation to buy a particular fish (when you can make at least some sort of arrangements to accomodate her).

Otherwise, use this thought: The fish is almost certain to be adopted by someone who has more tank room and can give her a home equally caring and knowledgeable but better for her well-being. And kinder to the fish you already have, by keeping them understocked.

btw please don't ask if I succeed with the advice about "kinder to the fish, if you keep them understocked instead of 100% stocked."

Also, not sure about this but -- how many Goldfish beginners start with Orandas? Our little boy said, the first time he saw one, "Eeeoouw! What's wrong with that fish's brain?" [Don't know if this will help, just saying...]

Edited by Steve1107