• * Nitrite Level(Tank): 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank): 15-20 ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap): 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap): 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap): 10 ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 8.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 8.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Kit/Drops
      • * Water temperature? 72 degrees F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallons, 8 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AQ50, Fluval 206
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 5 days, ~60% change
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Three days ago, 17 gallons
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 Oranda, 3 inches (not including the tail)
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Pellets, Progold, Repashy Soilent Green, frozen bloodworms, green peas, green beans, spinach
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? None
      • * Any medications added to the tank? None
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment: When I first bought him, he was quarantined in a 10 gallon tank for a little over one month with Prazi and salt. Treated with Medigold also during that time.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? After every feeding, my fish will always start gulping air for hours. It did not matter if it were frozen bloodworms, soaked nls/progold/hikari pellets, repashy soilent green, peas or spinach.

For the last few months, he would swim back to normal the next morning. However in the last few weeks, he has remained floating on top all day long. If I fasted for 1-2 days, he would sometimes bottom sit.

In terms of poop, it is still solidly the color of the food but some float on account of his gulping.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100329937@N02/9519626251/

The following video clip is of me startling him from his floating slumber. He is still pretty active when I am in front of the tank, but he eventually goes back to gulping air and then floating upright lackadaisically the rest of the day. He will also routinely yawn (as indicated at around the 1 minute mark) when he has to get back down from the top of the tank.

Should I prazi for another month? Salt? I also have medigold and metromed on hand, too.

Thank you for reading and please, help me!

Hi there, welcome to Koko's! Sorry about your fish :( The moderators are pretty good about answering these posts, so be patient. Until then, if it were me I would do another water change and feed em blanched, deshelled peas for a few days and see how he does.

Hopefully one of the moderators will see this soon and help you. I hope your fish gets better.

No problem, I am also wondering if your fish might be a bit sensitive to the nitrate in your tank. Mine are. I would also suggest upping your water changes to twice a week. How often do you feed your fish?

I don't think it's the nitrates because I tried the fluval nitrate remover which brought the tank to nearly 0 nitrates for about two weeks. It still had the same behavior.

I feed two to three times day.

Some fish are sensitive to the food you feed :). My telescope is floaty when I feed pro gold. So maybe try removing one of the pellets from the diet and see if any floating occurs. And if so, try removing the other :). But definitely for now, feed peas peas for a couple days :). I hioe tour fish gets better, and welcome to Kokos!

No problem, I am also wondering if your fish might be a bit sensitive to the nitrate in your tank. Mine are. I would also suggest upping your water changes to twice a week. How often do you feed your fish?

I don't think it's the nitrates, that level is perfectly fine. :) Edited by mikey

Hello,

I have several questions/comments:

1. If this is only the 3rd day after a WC, and there are two more days to go, and you are already getting to 20ppm nitrates, then I agree with Mike that it would be good increase the WC amount, even if just by a little bit. For the next WC, try doing as close to a 100% WC as possible, then 80% for the subsequent ones.

2. Does he gulp with every kind of food, or does he float with every kind of food?

3. Which Saki are you using? Which NLS? What size? About how much food are you feeding? How many times do you feed per day? At what point in the day does the floatiness become most pronounced?

4. Let's fast him for the next three days.

Still, clean water can't hurt while the problem is being sorted out.

The water change schedule seems fine to me. It's 60% if the water every 5 days on a 30 gallon tank with a 3 inch Oranda. :)

Sorry. I didn't see it was only day three of 5. :teehee

Edited by mikey

thanks all

to dnalex:

2. quite recently it is almost after he eats anything, he will start gulping air and then float for the rest of the day. I've tried days with one kind of pellet, days with only soilent green, a mixture of pellet, gel food, and green beans/peas, another time with just frozen blood worms. He behaves the same now.

3. I have the Hikari Lionhead. The NLS is the sinking 2mm (medium). I have also spirulina flakes and omega one also. They have ALL been tried. i use to feed him three times a day. As of the last week, he's been fed soaked pellets or gel food and then green veggies in the evening. The floating has been all day now. Every once and a while after all the floating, he will bottom sit but that will last for a few hours until he decides to go back up to swallow air again.

4. Fast it is.

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Does he gulp when he's been fasted, or he's fasting?

Do you have any Metro-Meds handy? I think I would like to try this.

The times I've fasted, he regains buoyancy and does not gulp. So, no food -->no gulping--> no floating.

I have Metro Meds.

Alright, thanks! :)

The first order of business is to fast him, to reset his system, so to speak.

Please don't try the Metro-Meds just yet, because we will want to consider this carefully, and we need to fast him anyway. The MMs question is just to know that you have it, should we need to attempt it. :)

We know that the gulping is food related, and so before we attempt the meds, I may have you try food, but in much less quantities, to see if this. The other thing is that it may also be the type of food, despite that fact that you've tried out an impressive array of premium foods.

Your case is very similar to my Hyperion. He doesn't actually gulp till he floats, and doesn't actually get pinned to the top. However, he will gulp, and spend what I consider an unacceptable amount of time up top. What has worked for me is the following:

1. NLS 1mm pellets (Thera-A or regular)

2. GC spirulina flakes

3. Frozen (various)

4. Hikari Lionhead

5. Quantity

What hasn't worked:

1. Pro-Gold! Major culprit!

2. Pellets that are bigger than 2mm

Anyway, so let's fast, and then we are going to spend a couple of weeks trying different things. :)

So it has been two days of fasting and even though nothing has been fed, he has continued to gulp for air all day. When I try to keep him down from the top by waving my hand in there, he always ends back up on top a minute later (almost like an addict).

I am starting to think that this has gone on for too long and his swim bladder has been permanently damaged. Is there anything that can be done? Has Metro Med been known to help with something like this?

Thank you

With this sort of stuff, it's a big iffy, and while Metro-Meds is certainly something to try, it was important to try other things first.

How much does he weigh?

Yes, try it! Let us know in 2 days!

Hello, just stopping by to show some support. You're in good hands :)

+1

So it's been a month and no food has really made a difference for my fish. He would continuously gulp no matter the type of pellet or vegetable matter. Feeding and not feeding had caused him to gulp all day and eventually float.

Now in the past two days, after 1mm NLS and peas, he has been bottom sitting for half of the day. Poo is floating on top of the tank and is either the color of the peas or NLS or just stringy, transparent white with bubbles.

Additionally, he still has an appetite. After feeding from the bottom sitting position, he will come up to gulp air and float once again.

Here is a video of the bottom sitting today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100329937@N02/9712146054/

I'm sorry, but I think he is on his way to becoming a sinker. :(

How much NLS 1mm are you feeding? Try cutting that amount in half.

Unfortunately, that's what I am thinking too.

I have lowered the portions (to even 5-7 little pieces) and fed multiple times a day, but to no improvement.

Thanks for all the help, though. I really mean it.