Sign in to follow this  
Morningsun

Is this normal?

Is it normal for a goldfish to just hang around kind of in the middle of the tank? The comets seem to never hold still but this (still un-named black fish) occasionally just hangs around like this. Pretty handy for taking pictures, but it seems odd to me.

th_2013-08-08212528_zps5810e38b.jpg

Hi Morning!

Got some questions for you, first can you fill out the water parameter worksheet:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
Edited by MexiMike83

Your topic has been moved to D&D! :)

I'm very sorry that your fish isn't feeling well. Please take a few moments to answer the questions that MexiMike has so kindly copied and pasted for you.

Thank you very much. :)

Oh goodness, I was just curious thinking it was kind of cute, and wasn't really thinking that maybe there was something bad WRONG with him. :oops:

I actually already have a thread in D&D that Alex was helping me with. I need to get back on that but this past week has been super crazy and I was out of town until yesterday and the fishies seemed "ok" compared to the other life stuff. I sure appreciate the prompt replies and concern. :heart Should I take that to mean that black fish hanging out looking like he is just taking a rest is not such a good thing? He doesn't do this all the time, he still swims and eats and plays just fine. Just occasionally he wants to hang out and do nothing.

Off I go to check tank parameters and report back. Thanks again every one!

Dawn

It doesn't necessarily mean people think something is wrong but like to rule out things and having all the tank parameters really helps get a big picture. They can and do have resting times during the day and night where they are not as active though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Focus especially on the food part. :)

Too much or too little food will do that to a fish. :rofl

hahaha...these little piggies are in fish heaven compared to their lifestyle last week. I don't *think* they are being overfed, but they were used to being fed 2-3 times a week instead of 2-3 times a day. They just moved here from the ex's house last week, or maybe it was 2 weeks ago now, and got a bigger tank (albeit still a bit small at about 25 gallons) and daily attention :thumbup2:

So I ran and checked the tank parameters... (with my super fun API freshwater master test kit, with the drops and stuff..like my own little chemistry set!)

Ph: 7.4-7.6 (the regular ph test looked like 7.6, so I did the high ph test, which looked like 7.4)

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0-.5 ppm (I have a hard time with these color charts)

Ammonia: 0-.25ppm

Our Tap parameters are...

Ph: 7.0
Nitrite:0

Nitrate:0

Ammonia:0

I still don't have a way to test hardness here at home, but I will probably be running off the the store later today, so I will have them check it.

Water temp:72F
Tank size: appx 25-26 gallons

Fliter: Marineland PF0170B (with a biowheel)

Last water change was 7 days ago. 100% water change (to get rid of the malachite green)
Salt was added in two rounds to bring it to appx 0.2%. Total amount added was 2/3 C plus 2 measuring Tablespoons (I had to head out of town before I added the third part and they didn't seem to like the second round of salt I added)

3 fish. Brownie is about 6 inches including tail, Goldie is about 5 inches including tail (these fish are like 5 years old) And then this black fish...he's maybe 2 inches not including his tail and is around 1 year old.

I did use prime when I changed the water.

They get a big pinch of flakes twice a day, which I hold under the water.

They had a dose of ich-away (malachite green) on 8/6. 50% water change on the 7th. 100% water change on the 8th that and salt added.

They seem to be behaving pretty normal. The comets swim and swim and never stop and eat like little piggies. The telescope swims a lot, but sometimes rests, like in the video, and also eats like crazy. Not long after I took that video I did something that got his attention and he got active again.

The big comet, Brownie, who's tail I was worried about hasn't seemed to get any worse.

Alex, you recommended that I treat with Prazi for flukes. That seems like a good idea. I am curious if that recommendation was on general principal because they have never been treated or because it could be the cause of the tail issue. Did I read correctly that this is like a 4-6 week process that includes water changes every 5-7 days? If so, how strictly will I need to keep to that schedule? In the next month I have 3, 2-4 day out of town trips that I will need to plan for.

I was planning to do a water change again today, I guess probably 50%, unless I ought to do more or less.

Getting back to the previous recommendations, it seemed like I should replace the lost salt, and then finish bringing it to 0.3%. But since it has been a whole week with salt, should I still do that?

Last questions (for now) Without thinking I fed the fish maybe 20 minutes before I check the tank parameters today. Would that affect the ammonia and nitrate readings? And is there a way to *measure* the actual salinity or do I have to just keep guessing based on how much salt was added?

Thanks everyone! :heart

Dawn

Goodness, I guess it was like 3 weeks ago they moved here. I am so bad at keeping track!

2013-08-08212729_zpse7dfa6a7.jpg

2013-08-08212703_zpsfb25bead.jpg

The upside of this fish holding so still is that I got to take some great pictures. Are those little white dots on his pectoral fins the breeding stars I read about?

Hi Dawn,

The prazi is both because this is something that should be routine for all fish (since most fish do have flukes), and also because of the spots.

Hovering in one place in midtank is not a problem. We just want to make sure that it's not a prelude to one. :)

He is definitely a boy lol

I finally made it to the store and got results for the Gh and Kh. (And bought some Prazipro)

GH=75

KH<80

Is there a handy place where I can learn more about these values? I've been looking all over this forum and get bits and pieces, but not the whole picture. I may not be looking in the right place though.

Also, I just noticed that knowing the chloramine value would be nice too. Do test strips do that? The pet store guy said everything looked really good, and I failed to specifically ask about that.

Dawn