Sign in to follow this  
Halethrain

How soon is too soon?

Recently I woke to find my mystery snail stuck inside the filter intake. Really inside. I think if the shell wasn't there he'd have been sucked in. It was really scary to see and (without thinking to turn the filter off :doh11:) I gently as I could removed him from the intake of my AquaClear 50. Immediately he retreated deep into his shell. I set him on the ground and waited. After several hours I had not seem him move, so I took out my 3.5 gallon tub and added a shallow amount of primed water (about 1 inch).

After about 2 days or not knowing if he was dead or alive, I finally saw him come out. His antenna looked pretty bad and the end of his siphon looked kind of weird, too. Relieved, I placed a chunk of algae wafer in and he ate. For several days after that he was not very active but would still come out when I placed a wafer beside him. I had to lower the water even more because I noticed he wasn't climbing for air? When I lowered the level he sort of flopped weirdly onto his side and stuck his siphon out. After a few days I started to raise the level little by little. 20 days later, I have still only once seem him at the water line for air and it's only about 2 - 2 1/2 deep. He rarely climbs the side at all and seems content just to rest at the bottom.

I've used this 20 days to do 4 rounds of PraziPro on my two Goldfish. Now, the question is, when will it be okay to place him back into the tank now that the med and salt is out? Should I continue to slowly raise the water until it is at the top and he has to climb more? I'm not sure how long it would take a snail to recover from an ordeal like that and if they lose any strength during a recovery period. :idont I feel worried about just plopping him into a deep tank or if he still needs more time to recover before being heckled by the fish. He's still very scared. Just taking the lid from the container and he whips back into his shell. Yesterday I wet my hand and set him in my palm with a chunk of wafer and he came out. Crawled around on my hand, but still kept all his squishy parts tucked underneath. I'd like to see him return to normal, jetting around the tank and having a good time.

And thoughts or ideas are appreciated. I've been reading on ways to snail-proof the intake so this doesn't happen again. Sponges, pantyhose, etc... how do these work to allow the bypass of larger things like goldfish poop? Does it effect the intake suction?

I've had so many mystery snails die from getting stuck on the filter :( I don't have them anymore. They always found a way to get onto it and when I tried covering the intake with pantyhose or sponge, the filter didn't seem to run properly at all :S

Hey mandy!! Its been awhile it feels like, hi :) but anyways, I have never had that happen to a snail of mine, the cases with me was with the goldfish, pecking, it annoyed me and I had to do something about it, like a seprate bowl, I only put him in to eat algae, and that's about it ;)

I've done pantyhose in the past in effort to keep sand out of my filters. It did a pretty good job, only the pantyhose got pretty dirty fast. So, if you're prepared for that than that would be a good option. Some people here put sponges inside their intakes , I'll let them discuss their experiences as I've never tried this.

I'm sorry about your snail! Hopefully he will make a full recovery. Sending positive thoughts your way, good luck!

I've had so many mystery snails die from getting stuck on the filter :( I don't have them anymore. They always found a way to get onto it and when I tried covering the intake with pantyhose or sponge, the filter didn't seem to run properly at all :S

I'm sorry to hear that. :( I really love the snails and I'd hate to not be able to enjoy them in the tank anymore. I was very happy to see mine made it through alive. Guess he was one of the lucky ones.

Hey mandy!! Its been awhile it feels like, hi :) but anyways, I have never had that happen to a snail of mine, the cases with me was with the goldfish, pecking, it annoyed me and I had to do something about it, like a seprate bowl, I only put him in to eat algae, and that's about it ;)

Pecking the snail? :o I swear sometimes mine purposely strolls on the glass in front of their faces while laughing devilishly to himself at their feeble attempts to make him their lunch as he speeds past! He learned quick to keep his squishies tucked inside.

I've done pantyhose in the past in effort to keep sand out of my filters. It did a pretty good job, only the pantyhose got pretty dirty fast. So, if you're prepared for that than that would be a good option. Some people here put sponges inside their intakes , I'll let them discuss their experiences as I've never tried this.

I'm sorry about your snail! Hopefully he will make a full recovery. Sending positive thoughts your way, good luck!

How fast is fast? Way more often than weekly water change/cleanings? Thanks. I hope so, too. :)

Depends on your set up I think. "My" pantyhose started to turn black within a few days because of the tahitian moon sand. But every water change would work for you, I think.

Ah, okay. Well I know I'll give stuff a try until something works. Probably start with the pantyhose method.

And of course as soon as I changed the water in the tub and then replied to this thread I look over and there he is. On the side with his siphon stretched up to the surface. Second time I've seen him crawl up. Progress!

Mj11oHC.jpg?2

MiVK4mH.jpg?2

I've never seen his siphon curl like that. Is that something to worry about? It started straight and then it's like he didn't know where the air was and went searching for it. :/

m9WNhWj.jpg?2

I had one of my snails "suicide" (as I called it) by getting stuck in the most awful way through the intake tubes ..its like he was sewing himself in and out of the gaps...*shudder*. I was afraid to pull him out because I thought I'd rip him if I tried (I still gently tried) but left him for a little bit to see if he could untangle himself. After a while he stopped moving so I somehow managed to get him out. He actually died within a short period of time stuck in the filter (not even a few hours). Horrifying.

** this was a couple months ago but now I'm wondering..what if he was still alive! Hmm.. no I must have left him there unmoving for a while..ughh I hope I didnt bury him alive

Edited by blubblubblub

Wow.

Mine crawl over my filter intakes all the time.

Touch wood they stay out.

I'm getting emotionally invested in a stranger's snail...

Go snail go! You can bounce back.

Thanks for wishing him well!

I had one of my snails "suicide" (as I called it) by getting stuck in the most awful way through the intake tubes ..its like he was sewing himself in and out of the gaps...*shudder*. I was afraid to pull him out because I thought I'd rip him if I tried (I still gently tried) but left him for a little bit to see if he could untangle himself. After a while he stopped moving so I somehow managed to get him out. He actually died within a short period of time stuck in the filter (not even a few hours). Horrifying.

** this was a couple months ago but now I'm wondering..what if he was still alive! Hmm.. no I must have left him there unmoving for a while..ughh I hope I didnt bury him alive

Ugh. /shudder. I hope not, also. I figured I would wait until I smelled him (supposedly they'll smell super gross).

Wow.

Mine crawl over my filter intakes all the time.

Touch wood they stay out.

It's odd because he also crawled around on them before, just not so much by the actual suction area of the intake. :s /knocks on wood for you.