your first goldfish?

Who/what was or is your first goldfish? What kind of breed? Name? Do you still have it?

My first goldfish, was actually a pair a black moor and a pearlscale, who lived for quite sometime in a 10 gallon sirprisingly, but the died a month ago, due to uncontrolable swimbladder disease and ick, so what/who was your first goldfish?

My first goldfish was when I was 7. I won a bunch of comets from a festival and I put them in a 20 gallon tank my grandpa provided. I don't know how they did it but they survived for about 3 years and got to about 6 inches each before I gave them away to a family friend :) I used to clean their tanks with soap T~T

My first goldfish is my Merlin :) red cap oranda. He is still going strong, even after I basically tortured him not knowing what I was doing in fishkeeping!

UI had a goldfish in a bowl when I was 5, but I barely remember that.

I got 3 goldfish from Petsmart in May or June of 2011. All three are alive and well, but we recently rehomed one because we are planning a big move. I still have the other two -- Goldeen the ryukin and Peaches the red cap. Oreo the fantail was my little boy's fish, and she now lives with my son's kindergarten bff.

When we move, I will rehome the others too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by ShawneeRiver

My first Goldie was Flipper :) She is a floaty Ryukin, but is still kicking. I got her 12/12/12 :greenbanana:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I had a pair. My mom bought them after our betta fish died. I remember I hated them in the beginning, I thought I loved bettas and they were the only fish for me. I soon warmed up to them and we named them Tiger and Sunny. Although they lived in a bowl, they had the biggest personalities and never experienced any illness-it was incredible. They died when my mom broke their bowl the day we were going to leave on vacation, and separated them into 2 individual bowls which probably held no more than a quart. Sadly, we came back to find their bowls empty and dry. They had died.

God, I miss them so much. They were the most resilient, energetic goldfish. I would do anything to get them back. :heart

001_zps89443d8d.jpg

• Supporter

my first goldfish. I got 4 comet goldfish at a elementary school festival. That was 18 years ago hey and one of them is still alive and kicking in my pond :-) the other three have died out slowly over the years starting about 5 years ago. At first I was housed in a 10 gallon aquarium needless to say it was long before I come here and learned what proper goldfish care was. They lived in that tank for I don't know a year or so. Then I decided I was too big and they did to go into our newly built Pond. They've been there ever since :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

My first goldfish was when I was a kid, and I had two in my Aqueon 2.5 gallon tank that still works to this day, (and we've never replaced the bulb.) I had them for 4 years and they died 1 year after our move.

I got my first goldfish was when I was around 7, I got two, they were comets (Goldie and Spot), and I kept them for a day in a bowl and they died. Then I got a betta and it lived for 4 years in a bowl and then I got four more goldfish when the betta died and kept them in one bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Big Red, Princess, Mr. FIshy, Prince) . All of them comets and all in one tiny bowl. Two died the second year and I got two more (Bubbles and Jaws) and another fish bowl (so there were two goldfish per bowl) and I accidentally put hot water in one bowl and killed them both and then one of my others died so I was left with one goldfish (Big Red). That is when I finally found out about their tank requirements. I'm not even gonna lie, I had a goldfish in a bowl up until last year when I set up my first aquarium and tried to put him in and it shocked him and he died :yikes . He was almost 4 years old.

I think that I may have the worst fish keeping story out there :( and I feel like I just wrote a novel on my fish keeping experience, sorry about that. Anyway, the first fish that really got me into CORRECT fish keeping was Big Red. And I can gladly say that I have one goldfish in a 30 gallon aquarium right now. No more overstocking

Edited by Ele

My first fish that I took care of myself was Sushi(he was a comet). I won him at a fair during the summer and he lasted 8days in a bowl:/ After that I bought Bear and Zora on the 18th of july and expanded my knowledge on goldfish and got them a better home. It has now been a year and they are still alive and growing and I've expanded my fin family:)

Edited by abcdomo

My first goldfish are actually the two I have now. I used to keep tropical tanks and just got into keeping goldfish. I get super paranoid about their health though. I got attached so quickly and now I can't imagine being without goldies ever again.

I actually got phoenix and ghost since I, for the first time in my life, live in a place where I'm not allowed to have pets with furr. So fish it is!

My first goldfish were a trio of Tele's we got for my Grandson's 5th birthday in 2008

they were

Beauty

ctmpphpbX6c9n.jpg

Bruiser

ctmpphp2mM3VO.jpg

and Bugsy

ctmpphpKEKtpx.jpg

they had to be re homed when my Hubby got sick and we lost our house :(

But they were still in my heart and I knew it wouldn't be long until I had some more ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The story of my first goldfish is a sad one. I got him around the age of 11, he was a fantail.

I was very misinformed about goldfish care, (surprise surprise considering I got my info from a Petco employee), so I kept the poor thing...in a gallon bowl. :yikes:no::doh11: <so many emoji to fit how bad I feel about it. I did de-chlorinate my water and did weekly changes... I didn't know there was anything wrong.

I had him for seven years in that tiny little bowl. I don't know how, he was such a fighter...

Before he died, I had just bought him a 10g (I know it's still small but it was better than the 1g and only temporary) but he died the day it was done cycling and the same day I was going to move him in there. It was so sad that I was finally going to get him to a better home, and he died the same day....

Anyway, that's the sad story of Stewie, and I am so glad I am well informed and house three healthy goldfish in proper conditions now!!!! :thumb:

My first goldfish was about 2 years ago it was bought on a whim when me and my mom went to petco in Anchorage. It was the cutest oranda ever! We had a 40 gallon tall tank at the house and brought our little fellow home. Unfortunately we didnt know of qt at the time and he died a month later from ich. We tried everything that pet store employees recommended but nothing worked. :(

I wish we had Kokos at the time...455_zpsad86f89a.jpg457_zpscd01055f.jpg

My first six goldfish were bought all at the same time. They were calico fan tails and I don't think they all had names I just remember one named 'flour'

I had them around age 16-19. They lived in my pond and even spawned once :)

Aww all of these stories.. some so sad..

My first goldfish were two Calico Ryukin I bought in March, in a 2.5g :yikes . I might have had 3 goldfish when I was 8years old, but don't remember anything except they were gold colored. I didn't know anything about how to take care of them so they probably lasted a few months. Anyways, I had named the Ryukins "Ryu" and "Ken" (get it? also names from streetfighter..hehe). Ryu died after a week and a half.. I didn't know about cycling tanks! I had tropical fish in a 47 gallon in college and they were always fine so I didnt bother looking online to see how best to care for gf, especially bc it says in the store they are easier than tropical. When Ryu got sick I desperately tried to google what was wrong and how to fix him (I called him a her bc she had a big belly and I read that females have wider bellys). I did some water changes, bought some pimafix/melafix, even bought a 20g. She died in a few days. Ken on the other hand is still alive and well! I always have a special place in my heart for Ken. I got him some friends, and they're all in a 55g now :D

V0eMd6V.jpg

First one is Ryu, second is Ken.

More recent Ken is the first fish below in my sig.

Edited by blubblubblub

I had my first goldfish when I was probably about 9 or 10 years old. it was a common goldfish I would ..

Literally grabbed it out of the bowl and pet it ALL THE TIME

But my sister's (she was 5 or 6) fish was a betta, so intrigued & jealous of her fish, I didn't do anything to it I swear xD

it lived long. UnU she was a better fish keeper than me !

Edited by SwimmingPiglet

My first two were commets, I kept them in a 3 gallon tank. After a year of 100% wc with no de-chlorinator one of them died. Another 6 months after that we came down one morning and found the other had leapt out and died overnight! Poor things! Thanks to kokos, no more gf have to suffer at my hands!

My first two were commets, I kept them in a 3 gallon tank. After a year of 100% wc with no de-chlorinator one of them died. Another 6 months after that we came down one morning and found the other had leapt out and died overnight! Poor things! Thanks to kokos, no more gf have to suffer at my hands!

My first fish was Basil. It was actually my 10 year old brothers fish but everyone in the family knew I was going to end up taking care of it. I don't have a pic when he was alone in his bowl ( :o ) but here is when he was a little bigger:

2012-12-11_17-53-07_707.jpg

He went through a color change to this after I switched from flakes:

180.jpg

and now he's pretty much all white except his fins. I can't seem to find a recent pic though...

Anyways, he started it all which lead to getting his best friend Baby. And from there I got Cupid, Cilantro, and Lemon Pepper. And today I got two Ranchus! They are Cocoa and Ginger :P

3f818a8b-59b8-4867-ac3b-5542c3c39049_zps

Here are my first two; Jack and Sally. I didn't have goldfish until I was 16 or so and despite living in a tiny tank I managed to keep these two alive for a few years. They started out in a 1 gallon when they were tiny and then moved to the five gallon in the picture. During that time I won a common at a fair and those three poor fish shared the tank for a while. When I moved out at 18 I got them a "spacious" ten gallon but unfortunately over the next year I lost all three of them. :( I miss those guys. I always thought Jack (The...calico I guess? He ended up losing most the black) was especially handsome. ;)