Goldfish Uprooting Plants

DarkSeas

Hey everyone, so I just finished filling my tank with Caribbean-sea planted tank substrate. I then went on to planting it with various swords and ferns, but as soon as I planted the tank, maybe 10 minutes passed and my goldfish had uprooted all the plants. So I replanted then thinking it was maybe booing to be only a one time thing but they keep uprooting. Well I guess my question is how do you guys keep you goldfish from uprooting plants? Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mine do that unless I put river rocks around the bases of the plants. I've also heard of people using plant weights, which might be easier but I haven't tried yet myself.

Goldfish are known for being unkind to planted aquariums, unfortunately. :( Just wait until they decide your plants are tasty. :o

I apologize if this sounds worrying, but it's just coming from experience of more than just my tank. I am not in any way saying you can't have a planted aquarium successfully with goldfish, but that you may need to tap into your creativity a little bit when it comes to keeping the plants and fish living in harmony. ;)

More of our planted tank keepers will be here to weigh in shortly, I think.

Edited by ChelseaM

Plants will stay rooted in a goldie tank after the roots get established. Crypts and swords have lots of roots, so they tend to stay in place. For ferns, if you mean java fern, I've never planted that -- I let it grow on things (rocks, driftwood, ornaments).

How deep is your sand?

Plants will stay rooted in a goldie tank after the roots get established. Crypts and swords have lots of roots, so they tend to stay in place. For ferns, if you mean java fern, I've never planted that -- I let it grow on things (rocks, driftwood, ornaments).

How deep is your sand?

I have about 3 inches of substrate in the tank. So a java fern will grow on driftwood or ornaments and doesn't need to be in the substrate?

How deep is your sand?

I have about 3 inches of substrate in the tank. So a java fern will grow on driftwood or ornaments and doesn't need to be in the substrate?

Yes, Java Fern and Anubias can be tied or super glued to rocks or wood. This is what I have done in my tanks. For other plants, you could pot them in small glass or terracotta pots with substrate in them.

That's plenty for roots. Make sure you add root tabs too. Sand is inert. Other plants you might want to try are most varieties of crypts. The have a good root system and will stay in place after a little time.

You can plant ferns and anubias, but be sure to plant just the roots and not the rhizome. I think anubias is eadier to plant that java fern.

It happens, my fish are still too small to mess with most of my plants but when they get bigger I'm going to have to come up with interesting ways to keep them in the substrate. You will just have to try different things and see what works. Pots and/or weights seem like a good place to start though.

Edited by HemligaHajen

My fish are currently too small, but I've had that problem. All I did was keep putting it back or hope they don't touch it until the roots grow a little. Once the roots are really grown in there, it becomes harder for them to pull the plants out.

You've been given some great advice, though. :)

Gustave, you posted in 1969, according to Tapatalk. That is an impressive feat.

As annoying as it is, I would just keep replanting the plants. They will start rooting quickly. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by ShawneeRiver