Eeeeeeeeeeeeegggggsssss!

blackmoors

There were about ten or so fry 'swarming'/swimming around the surface tonight so I defrosted a portion of one baby brince shrimp cube and put it into the tank.

They swam around in the cloud of shrimp so I guess they may have been eating it. They all settled back onnthe glass after a while.

Still the majority are just sitting one the glass etc. So maybe tomorrow more will be swimming around.

Cant wait til theyre no longer sitting on the bottom or the glass etc as the tank looks soooooo messy to me lol

Want to clean it lol oh well cpl more days.

Staring in the tank ive also noticed alot of tiny (much emaller than fish eggs) white dots on the glass.

Some may be eggs of some sort. Some are actually little white worms??? About 2mm long.

Never seen them before. Any ideas? Will they harm the fry??

you are describing planarian . normally harmless and fish often eat them too.

water depth in aquariums is not a factor and does not need be lowered .

congratulations on your fish breed project. It can be very rewarding.

Staring in the tank ive also noticed alot of tiny (much emaller than fish eggs) white dots on the glass.

Some may be eggs of some sort. Some are actually little white worms??? About 2mm long.

Never seen them before. Any ideas? Will they harm the fry??

you are describing planarian . normally harmless and fish often eat them too.

water depth in aquariums is not a factor and does not need be lowered .

congratulations on your fish breed project. It can be very rewarding.

They could also be nematodes, which are also likely to be harmless. Are they round, or are they flat?

• 2 weeks later...

Question. How big are fry meant to be around 2-3weeks of age?

Trying to see if mine are growing/developing right.

Im starting to see the butterfly tail shape forming and fins etc on some.

Some fry are still very small others are a bit bigger.

Ive been feeding them hikari frozen baby brine shrimp. And hikari first bites.

Unfortunately I lost quite a few fry with a power board issue and the heater plug wasnt making contact hence was not getting power all the time and so the temp plumeted over night....

So gone from several hundred to about 70-100??

Maybe less not sure to hard to count as theyre small.

I expect a few more losses over time but fingers crossed ill get a few mature decent ones.

With fry just make sure the water is clean and that they're being fed well. With any batch of young there will always be larger fry that develop quickly and smaller fry that do just the opposite. When the disparity between sizes becomes very large I would separate the small from the large to avoid cannibalism. That being said there isn't a set growth that fry will follow, only one in a general sense. Their growth will depend mainly on genetics, with water quality and diet playing slightly smaller but equally as important roles. Don't forget to treat with prazi while they're young if you haven't started already, otherwise their may be many more casualties.

• 2 weeks later...

Well these guys are growing well now. Not many left (about 20-25).

Buuut there have been several other spawns I missed :(

I did manage to catch a spawn on the weekend and moved the spawning mops into my makeshift fry tub. (My esky lol or as you Americans call it - cooler box?)

I turned the heater up to 22ºc dripped in some methylene blue and added an air stone.

That was Saturday morning. Aaaaand they just started hatching about an hour ago :)

Upon inspection of the parents tank some eggs must have survived not being eaten or vacuumed out because I counted 7 fry clinging to the glass.

Doubt they will last long in there tho...

Hopefully once theyre free swimming I can safely move them

20130911_114523_zpscb572bea.jpg

A pic of freshly hatched fry Batch #2.

These fry are approx 1-2hrs old.

They are in my make shift fry tub which is an esky (cooler box?)

There is a heater set to 22ºc and a small air stone adjusted with a bleed off tap so it only juuuust air rates the water.

The blue colour of water is the methylene blue used for the eggs.

I stopped using it after day 3 of placing eggs/mops in the tub.