Eeeeeeeeeeeeegggggsssss!

blackmoors

Soooo wasnt ready for this....

Thought I had a few more months..

But alas can't stop nature hey.

It appears Allen is actually Alana or Helen? Lol

I walked into rhe dinning room ready to vacuum their tank and do a wc.

But as I set up about to I noticed it wasnt poop or food everywhere. But eggs.

Steve was still chasing her and she was eating the eggs.

So I quickly got mh spare plastic tub and put some tank water in and carefully put Allen and Steve in the tub with a make shift mop...

Next thing.... what do I do now??? I can't move the eggs from the main tank.

I know they should hatch in 3-5days if fertile but. Do I switch off the canister filter and lower the water level?

Will the eggs be ok with mystery snails in the tank?

Was hoping to have my pond ready for this lol.

Thanks.

This is my first aquarium spawn.

Ive had 2 batches of fry from my main pond.

I soooo wasnt prepared.

Got no baby shrimp setup.

Sooo as for food looks like egg yolk.

I switched my canister filter off. But left my air disc and sponge filter going.

I also took the snail out for now.

I was hoping to have a small shallow pond ready for them to spawn in, in spring then move em back to the tank or what not.

They beat me to it lol.

Well if they don't hatch in next few days ill do a clean out an put allen n steve back in their tank.

Ps looks like theyre still going in the tub.

I definitely do not know what to do either but babies are so exiting!!!! :3 Keep us updated!!

I had a similar situation.

As long as you have a place to put the parents with adequate care, I would recommend keeping the eggs in the main tank. By at least tomorrow evening you should be able to see two little black dots in the eggs if they are fertile. What I did was put one of those little filter pads (remove the carbon stuff) over the intake of the filter so no fry will get filtered away. Im not sure what your local pet stores are called in Australia, but most pet stores carry hikari first bites (you can google it to see what it looks like and read reviews). Those work way better than egg yolk in my opinion. You can also order Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp online (which is hatched baby brine shrimp preserved in a little jar) if you want food with even more nutrition. So now you have a big tank with filtration that doesnt suck up the fry and adequate food. For right now thats all you need.

Wow busy day... lol

Ive moved the parents once more.

This time theyre in a 2ft tank with a hob filter and a heater. Better than the tub. But small I know.

Ive also got a egg grate light diffuser panel I cut to fit and put it in thrre to separate the parenrs for a bit he wouldn't leave her alone and she was lookin tired.

So now I can separate or introduce them to each other just by moving the grate.

Looks like I have a tub and a 4ft tank full of eggs now lol.

Just gave him n her a feed and be keeping an eye on her.

Still looks a tad 'bloated' so guessing more eggs still??

Ill give her a few hrs rest then remove the grate for a few hrs etc etc

I'm dealing with spawning from two of my female Orandas, in the same tank. I collect all the eggs I can by hand (literally) and place them in a small heated tank with a sponge filter to hatch.

I remove any eggs that turn white, as they are infertile and can make the further eggs turn bad also.

I feed my fry the powdered fry food made by Sera as well as frozen baby bribe shrimp.

Good luck with your babies!

You should know by now whether they're fertile or not. If they turn cloudy white then they're not fertile but if they stay amber clear then they are. In my experience they turn white within about five hours or so.

Edited by katearei

I just went to clean the tank out as the eggs turned white.

But as I started I saw some eggs that were clear still. Only theyre not totally clear.

Theres a small black curved line inside. (Well I think its inside the egg lol)

So ive decided to leave it another cpl days and keep my eye on the eggs.

Maybe get lucky and have a cpl hatch??

If not that's cool. I wasnt ready anyway.

But im hoping to be soon.

Going to pick up pond supplies today or tomorrow :)

Well unless ive had an out break of mosquito larvae or something eles I think theyve hatched. ..

I thought maybe 5 or 6 eggs may have been ok.

But I gave up counting after about 50 fry.....

Theyre sitting/stuck to everything atm not swimming around. On the glass plants sponge filter (not on) etc etc.

Ive turned off my canister filter so I dont suck em in lol

Just have one air stone on low now.

Water level is still quite high but I cant lowerit as theyre sitting on the glass just below the surface (well everywhere actually)so I dont want to llower it yet and disturb them. When they sink to the botton ill lowrr it then.

.guess I'm off to buy frozen baby brine shrimp now lol

Staring in the tank ive also noticed alot of tiny (much emaller than fish eggs) white dots on the glass.

Some may be eggs of some sort. Some are actually little white worms??? About 2mm long.

Never seen them before. Any ideas? Will they harm the fry??

Cheers.

Just hope I can keep em alive.

Got some frozen baby brine shrimp today. But I think theres another day to go before they need feeding.

Theyre just stuck to everything atm not really swimming.

I'm pretty sure once theyre swimming around its time to begin feeding.