This poor fish.... now we've got fin rot.

scurrie

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank): 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank): 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank): 10ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap): 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap): 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap): 0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater master test kit drops
      • * Water temperature? 74
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55, 3 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?I have 3 filters on it, 2, 20g marineland Penguins, and 1 55 aqueon
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? I usually did 45-50% once a week, but its been so crazy lately with anchor worms and now fin rot that its been a few times a week and the amount depends.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 60%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, about 5 inches each
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Just switch to seachem prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Frozen blood worms, frozen mysis, just started feeding them some frozen krill, NLS pellets, peas.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Nope.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? YES.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Tetra Parasite Guard, a lot of salt (salinity is 1.012 right now), a little bit of coppersafe left over from a previous treatment.

• * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fins became a little fringed two days ago, and now there are parts that look like "bites" were taken out of them, and they are red.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Acting normal.

Alright, so Ollie is back at it again, giving me a run for my money. Found him with his tail fringed 2 days ago, and yesterday he was missing small chunks with it looking red and sore and today it is the same.

A few questions, if it was the salinity, if would be all over his body, not just his tail, correct?

How do I have this problem if my water quality is normal. I tested it with my kit, then brought more water into work and tested it with theirs just to make sure mine wasn't being problematic, but it came out the same.

How long should I treat with the parasite guard?

(for those trying to figure out why I'm treating with this, this is why: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/112570-crazy-resistant-anchor-worms/)

I haven't seen a single worm since I pulled them all and treated. The package says a few weeks... Could I get away with 4 days since I haven't seen anything? I plan on keeping the salt up, but I really need to put my cartridges back in because I feel like thats what happened.

I feel so bad for this poor fish. The other one is perfectly fine. This one is just getting all of the bad luck. Other than water changes and salt, how else should I go about this?

I will try! He's such a wiggly little bugger. My tank is cloudy from the meds right now, I just added them in. Maybe I'll snap some of Pepper and my tank too :P

That was surprisingly easy. It's like he knew...

Anyway. Here is the 55 bowfront.

1185062_10201439093676524_1354202533_n.j

Look at allll dat algae. I haven't done scraping in the past couple of weeks because I've been trying to MINIMIZE the stress on these poor fish. Black moor is about 5 inches, the orange smudge in the front is Pepper the calico fantail. She's about 4.5, and she's a crazy photo bomber.

AND here is Ollie, the unfortunate black moor that has no good luck.

1175135_10201439094276539_1574363926_n.j

560822_10201439096676599_1953242271_n.jp

The white dots on him are the exit sites of the anchor worms. They used to be red and bubbled so I'd say tiny and white is much better.

And, this is the clearest picture of Pepper the Photobombing fish. She's something else...

1185774_10201439094396542_1640672669_n.j

Unfortunately, one of the mantras in (gold)fish keeping is that if you fish has one parasite, it probably has others. Given that we know that fish already had anchor worm, I'm not surprised that there would be other problems. The fraying of the fins in this case is likely to be from flukes, and secondary bacterial infections. There are two things we need to do:

1. Kill the flukes and drastically reduce their numbers. Are you treating with Tetra Parasite Guard? If so, where are you at with that?

2. Halt the spread of the rot. How fast is it spreading? I think we need to do a salt dip, and depending on if you are treating with PG or not, we may need to have salt in the tanks as well.

Salt dips are 3% (30 level teaspoons/gallon) for a max of 5 minutes. Fish is taken out of dip immediately when he/she can no longer maintain balance in the salt, regardless of the time in the dip.

Wahoo!!! This is so much FUN. Not.

Alright. Yes, I'm still treating with parasite guard. I did a water change today and retreated with the right amount. (so this is day 3 treating it)

I'd say it's a decent speed. It went from nothing to this in 3 days. The tank is still very salted. I still have it at what you told me to have it at 3 days ago.

Guess its a good thing I picked up more salt :P

I'll go do the dip right now.

Get Morton's Canning & Pickling salt. Nothing beats $2 for 4 pounds. :rofl

You may need to do the dip daily for the next three days. The goal is to stop the rot, and heal. We won't want to salt the water, since that may interfere with the current treatment, which already has some salt in it.

Hey good suggestion! Thanks :]

Alright. Salt is dissolving. Fish has no idea what is happening to him. I'm sure he'll learn to appreciate it eventually.

Why do I end up treating my fish in the wee hours of the morn. Sleepy :zz

Alex...

Is turning "dusty" normal during a salt dip.......

He started floating around a minute so I put him back in his tank and now he's got a dusty white color on him.

Please tell me I didn't make a mistake... *freaking out*

That's not a mistake. That's his slime coat, which should be shed. You'll see strands of it soon enough. That's what I wanted accomplished with the dip lol.

Please do a big WC at your earliest convenience tomorrow. If you are up in a little bit, please update us. :)

Thank goodness. I just double checked on him. It faded, now he's black again :)

Alright. Just to make sure I have this right; tomorrow I'll change 60-70% of the water, retreat with the parasite guard. (Up the the amount of new water put in) bring my salt back up to 3%.

Thank goodness. I just double checked on him. It faded, now he's black again :)

Alright. Just to make sure I have this right; tomorrow I'll change 60-70% of the water, retreat with the parasite guard. (Up the the amount of new water put in) bring my salt back up to 3%.

Just to verify...there is salt in your tank, at 0.3%, or 3 level teaspoons per gallon.

You've also just done a salt dip, which is 3% salt, or 30 level teaspoons...

Ah! Yes. Whoops typo :) yes and yes. I should not be allowed access to anything but my pillow at 2am.

...now I'm doubting myself because I measure everything in tablespoons. 3 teaspoons per table spoon means that I need 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon in my tank and 10 tablespoons of salt in my 1g salt dip.

...now I'm doubting myself because I measure everything in tablespoons. 3 teaspoons per table spoon means that I need 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon in my tank and 10 tablespoons of salt in my 1g salt dip.

This is correct! Phew! :rofl

When you do WCs tomorrow, I'd like for you to decrease the amount in the tank to 2/3 or even 1/2 tablespoons per gallon in the tank, please. I feel more comfortable with those numbers. :)

Alrighty! did 65% of the water, scrubbed all my plants (they were looking icky so I figured why not go all out), retreated with parasite guard, added the 1/2 tbsp of salt per gal, and now they've eaten their dinner and are swimming happily. Should I still do another salt dip tonight?

Fins look the same. Still tinged a little red on the edges.

Looking the same is acceptable at this stage, but it cannot get worse. If it does, we need to revise our strategy. :)

Alright! I'll keep a close eye on him. So are we not doing another salt dip? If I were to do another one, I'd do it again at the 24 hour mark, so 2am for me :P

Just an update, he looks even better today! His fins are no longer lined with red, and the "white" that was where the rotting was is also fading! I'll do the last salt dip tonight! I really can't thank you enough, I would have tried my best but he probably would have died without all of your help.