Fluval 405 Canister Filter

Hi all,

I searched around the forum and found one post on this filter but I wanted to see if I could stir up any additional input. I have a 55 gallon tank and am looking for a canister filter. Got lucky and found a Fluval 405, one year old, for $75. Generally this seems like a good filter but are there any drawbacks? Are the Fluvals easy to set up and clean? As a newbie to canisters I'm a little intimidated by the priming and hoses, etc.

Also, any tips on disinfecting a new filter would be greatly appreciated. I know how to sterilize and clean bird equipment and cages...but not canister filters! :P

I got a used 405 with my tank. I cleaned everything with bleachy water and scrubbed the surfaces with a toothbrush. The canister works great. The input and output for mine is built into the bottom of the tank, so I don't have trouble priming it. I do have trouble closing it. It always leaks a little before I can get it sealed after I clean it. Sometimes it leaks at first and then stops. :idont I keep it in a plastic trash can or a bucket.

There is a video on youtube for setting up all the 06 series fluvals. I have a 306 and love it. It gives me 0 issues. I find it easy to clean. You just close the values and pop out the tubes. Love it!

There is a video on youtube for setting up all the 06 series fluvals. I have a 306 and love it. It gives me 0 issues. I find it easy to clean. You just close the values and pop out the tubes. Love it!

I have the 306, and I love it, too. Even more than my Eheim. :rofl

I have the 306, and I love it, too. Even more than my Eheim. :rofl

Blasphemy! ! Lol

I like my fluval filters.

But love my eheims.

Ive got a different brand canister coming soon in the mail to try too.