Sign in to follow this  
msfishsticks

trying to reform my goldfish mistakes

I've always loved the idea of big bulgy-eyed goldfish in bowls, like a cartoon. I tried to adopt a goldfish with the intent to put it in a bowl once, and the lady at the pet store refused to sell it to me. I respect that now.

So a bit later, nearly a year ago now, I found myself in a PetSmart on a Sunday afternoon impulse-buying a calico telescope goldie and what I thought then was a very luxurious 5 gallon tank. (It's a Fluval Chi, and, while I know now that it's not right for my fish, it's still pretty. :blush:) I did my goldfish research and learned that I was an idiot, but put off upgrading because of budget and space constraints, and, being totally new to fish, not knowing if it was worth investing too much in if I was just going to end up a fish serial killer.

BUT I'm finally moving to a bigger apartment next week (yay!!) and I feel like Ms. Tallulah Fishsticks probably should, too.

But I'm incredibly picky and never really liked the look of framed rectangular tanks. I did a whole lot of research on goldfish in biorbs, even the mega-huge ones, and finally admitted to myself that that would be a mistake too.

So what about frameless cubes? I've looked at the ones made by Mr. Aqua, which come in 25 and 60 gallon, and some in acrylic that are a lot more expensive and I'm guessing would get scratched up easily.

What about company? While I'm trying to make up for past mistakes, is my fishy lonely? I think she'd look gorgeous with a black moor friend, but that means even more gallons, which gets to another concern…

Stands? Furniture? I have my 5 gallon on a dresser. After noticing it was starting to leave a footprint on the wood, I stuck a thick bamboo cutting board under it to distribute the weight a bit better. I don't really like the look of the things traditionally sold as aquarium stands (getting annoying, aren't I?). Is it possible that some pieces of "normal" furniture could support the weight of, say, a 25-35 gallon tank (I don't think I'm ready for too much more than that yet)?

So I'm looking for help from people who know more about goldfish keeping than I do…both from the standpoint of keeping the fish happy and making me not have to invest in a fishtank I really don't like the look of. Is it possible to keep both of us happy?

And is the poor thing's growth stunted already? Will she grow if I get a significantly larger tank?

Obviously kind of clueless, but trying to work on it.

I'll touch on a few of your concerns... I've had fish grow very large in a tiny tank back in the day. If your fish has stunted growth, I believe that tank size does not matter.

As for company for your goldfish, I find my fish do best with at least 20 gallons each. Big or small. I never had luck with 5 in a 55 gallon. Now I have 2 in my 55 living well.

If you get the 60 gallon you could probably do 3 fish. I personally would not do 2 in the 25 gallon.

As for fish stands, I just looked at a few stores and found one that matches my furniture. It's black and looks like a wood cabinet but is made of a sturdier material.

Never tried acrylic

Stunting is not something to worry about. I'll link here to a recent conversation on Koko's as to why. The thread is very informative! :)

The current guideline for stocking is fifteen to twenty gallons of water per fish, with twenty being optimal. (and what I too keep my tanks at!)

Filtration is also a very big concern, and should be turning over the tank at a rate of ten times per hour, rated by the filter's Gallons Per Hour rating and not by the 'size of the tank' suggested on the box. For example, a ten gallon tank needs a filter rated at one hundred GPH. If you have not already, read up on the Nitrogen Cycle. :)

As for tanks, long, not tall, is best. Longer tanks have more horizontal swimming room, which is the natural swimming pattern for goldfish. They also have more surface area for gas exchange, which allows for better oxygenation of their environments. Since goldfish descended from a river carp, they enjoy well-oxygenated water. Framing, style, etc. is all up to you otherwise.

As for stands, my opinion is that if you have a tank over ten gallons, put it on a stand made specifically to support an aquarium. This minimizes the risk of damage to the aquarium due to lack of proper support. Also make sure the surface you place the tank/stand on is level to prevent too much stress to one portion of the tank. Keep in mind that Acrylic tanks need to be supported in a more complete manner than glass tanks, as well as frameless tanks. This could influence your decision on which tank to pick. Read up on the stand just as you would the tank that it holds.

Also, Welcome to Koko's. :D I'm glad you found this wealth of amazing knowledge and hope you feel free to browse around for information. The 'pinned topics' sections in each part of the forum really contain lots of information.

Hi Welcome to the forum :)

Yes, a sturdy piece of furniture (like solid wood) would most likely support a 25 or 35 gallon tank. It would require support all the way across whatever frame you choose. Some people have acrylic and like it. Some acrylics are better then others. My betta's tank is acrylic and doesn't easily scratch at all. It I was to do acrylic for a goldfish tank I'd probably go bare bottom so as not to scratch it up with gravel. I'd re-think the whole rectangular framed tank idea as they can be decorated beautifully. Browse through many of the goldfish planted and non-planted photo's in those forums.

A 25g tank will only support one goldfish ;) Goldfish require 15-20g each so you are looking at 35 or larger for two fish. Even then it would require large weekly water changes of a minimum of 50%. Recently the topic of goldfish stunting came up. If you move your goldfish to a larger tank there is no reason why he would not continue to grow. He may not ever achieve his full potential because you've had him in a 5g but he would start growing and probably play catch up to some degree.

There is a wealth of information here and many pinned topics that may help to read up on.

Edited by CindiL

Welcome to kokos!

Welcome. Excellent advice up above. :)

Welcome to Kokos from one newbie to another! You will love this place!

Welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcomed to koko! Looks like everyone has said what I would say so I hope you find what you're looking for!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2