• * Nitrite Level(Tank)-0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)- 20
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)- 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)- 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)- 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.4
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater master test kit drops
      • * Water temperature? 68 degrees
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons, 10 days
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Tetra whisper pf10
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 1-2 times daily 50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? this morning
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 red telescope, 1.5"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime and Stability
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? was feeding tetra goldfish flakes, but have purchased New Life Spectrum sinking pellets after finding out flakes are bad. 1x/day. Started giving peas a few days ago and tried spinach this morning and broccoli yesterday instead of pellets due to floating
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? none
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None, but though I maybe should treat with Prazi
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? black spots started 2 days ago, I guess from ammonia burn
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Floating at the top of tank

Over the weekend my red telescope goldfish started floating, he would swim around and then just sort of float at the top of the tank. At first I thought he was just relaxing, but then he started floating more than he was swimming and I realized it was not normal. I assume he has swim bladder disorder so I stopped feeding him goldfish food, left him for a day, and gave him 2 peas. Now several days have passed and he is still floating and very lethargic. I didn't intend on getting at goldfish so it is a fish-in cycle which I am being very diligent about. I test the water a few times a day and change 1-2 times daily. The ammonia did get as high as 1.0 at one point when I was just learning about cycling, but I changed the water 3 times that day to bring it down to 0.25. He has started showing signs of ammonia burn probably from that 1.0 day. I know he needs a bigger tank and we plan on upgrading in the next couple of months (just need to move first). The water temp is 68 degrees, should I buy a heater to bring the temp up a little to help with the cycling? Also, what else can I do to help with the floating? Honestly, today he looks on the brink of dying. He is a super friendly fish, he lets me hand feed him and comes swimming over when I have my hand in the tank to change the water. Am I doing anything wrong other than doing a fish-in cycle, which I now know isn't the best? I'll go to the pet shop and pick up a heater and Prazi today, if you guys recommend it. Thanks for the help.

Hello!

I see that your tank is cycling, and your are doing the right thing by doing those daily water changes :)

Why do you see nitrates if your tank isn't cycled? Did you possibly test incorrectly? I would retest the tank and tap nitrate ;)

Just retested for nitrates: tank- 10 ppm (thats after a water change and prime added a few hours ago) and tap- 10ppm

May we see a video of your fish? This would help a lot.

May I ask why you are changing 50% of the water daily? That's actually a very good thing. I'm just curious as to why you decided to do it. :)

Stratton,

The OP might have been lucky enough to instant cycle her tank with the Stability. At least that is my guess.

I uploaded a short video to my flickr it's at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67706727@N04/9503097019/

He looks really pathetic today, he did not look nearly this bad yesterday.

I have been doing 50% daily water changes because I read up on fish-in cycling and that's what it said to do. It has been keeping the ammonia levels down as it goes down to 0 when I check it a few hours after the water change and addition of Prime.

May I ask why you are changing 50% of the water daily? That's actually a very good thing. I'm just curious as to why you decided to do it. :)

Stratton,

The OP might have been lucky enough to instant cycle her tank with the Stability. At least that is my guess.

That does seem like the only logical reason. I'm wondering why there is .25 ammonia. Sometimes, with the test kit, "0" usually has a slight grennish tint.

Kjm-m, has your ammonia ever been over .25?

Stratton,

That does seem like the only logical reason. I'm wondering why there is .25 ammonia. Sometimes, with the test kit, "0" usually has a slight grennish tint.

Kjm-m, has your ammonia ever been over .25?

Yes, one day the ammonia was at 1.0, which I changed the water 3 times that day to bring it down and added Prime. I think the ammonia level is at 0, I feel like it's hard to read the colors. It's not as bright yellow as the 0, but not as green as the 0.25.

I'm not sure when to stop doing daily water changes, but I felt like I was only 10 days into cycling so I should keep going with it. It seems like the Prime would mask the normal signs of cycling being over.

I think my goldfish might be beyond saving, he's not moving at all really and he looks like he's struggling to breathe. I gently squeezed his belly and it feels a little hard to me, although I don't know what a normal goldfish belly feels like. Even if he can't be saved, I'm curious to know what's going on with him so it won't happen to the next one. Does it seem like swim bladder disorder or something else?

Usually fasting 3 days is recommended when constant floating occurs, but we'll wait to see what the moderators think.

As a heads up, are you using replaceable cartridges?

Yes I have a Tetra whisper pf10 that uses biobags. In hindsight I wish I purchased a bigger and better filter so when I upgrade the tank I will research filters more.

Please keep going with the daily water changes. This is a very good thing you are doing. :)

From the video, I see a lot of ragged fins, which is a usually a sign of deterioration of the water quality, parasites, or both. I would fast him until tomorrow, and update, so that we can decide what must be done next. Thanks.

He died. What type of parasite would cause deterioration of fins? He was fine one day and then the next he started floating a little, I thought he was just relaxing because it wasn't that much, within a couple days he was floating almost exclusively and started to show spots of black with the ragged fins.

How do you properly administer Prazi-Pro while also doing daily water changes?

I'm so sorry for you loss :( when doing daily water changes you have to put back in the amount of prazi you took out. So of it's a twenty gallon and you put a tps ( I think that's right) of prazi in then took 50% of the water out you would then put 1/2 of a tsp back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That was a very sad video to watch of your little fish. I'm sorry he didn't make it. :hug

I had seen and wrote in your new topic regarding how to qt a new fish. If your not aware of this already you will want to make sure your tank that your fish had passed away in is sanitized really good prior to adding a new fish to it. This goes for the filter and ornaments also. I'm not sure about the media (replacing it for possibility of disease) for I haven't had to deal with this before. Hopefully someone else will let you know the procedure of what to do with all of that.

Again, so sorry for your loss. :(