Pondies!

So I broke my scale and didn't get weights this time, and I didn't even get that great of pictures either! (I was getting eaten alive) But hopefully these will do.

Full pond shot!

83ri.jpg

Everyone thought I was going to feed them...but they were very wrong!

cwdp.jpg

Being in relative shade or filtered light the pond rarely gets full sun. So my water is pretty clear! It was looking a little tannin-y so I did a 15%ish waterchange but because of all the rain that has been the first real maintenance water wise.

7bbu.jpg

A lot of goldies in this shot! At this point they were starting to get hesitant because I never take the netting off. :rofl

r7yq.jpg

I started off with just 3 water lettuce and they just keep putting out babies like crazy. they can't grow very tall because of the netting so they just spread out ad put out more and more babies.

Now onto individual pictures! They go in the order that I caught them :rofl

Spitfire!

5s2d.jpg

vnb8.jpg

Currently at 3inches! He(?) is one of my trio of ECR ranchu. He is adorable and fearless, he was so easy to catch because of that.

'Ol One Eye:

6x5i.jpg

mykl.jpg

wbvk.jpg

z6sj.jpg

What is super cool about her is that because she's more or less blind I can sneak up on her blind side and just pick her out of the water. She is a really beautiful fish even sans eye. She is around 4.25inches

Hoshi:

jf0w.jpg

sngn.jpg

Hoshi has been gaining weight and working on growing his wen! He was pretty skinny and beat up when I bought him but he's really growing into a lovely oranda. He is almost at 4inches, maybe 3.75, it's mostly tail though :rofl

Zero:

u57z.jpg

9wcn.jpg

3hhe.jpg

Zero is such a pretty fish, and I love that she doesn't have one metallic scale on her(expect her gillplates) She is 3inches as well and is from ECR.

Bearcat:

8fl7.jpg

8jd6.jpg

My third ECR chu who is currently undergoing a wardrobe change. She'll end up being all white with just a hint of orange on her fins. She also has an antennae on her caudal, which is invisible from above. She is 3.25 inches.

Kai:

t4ur.jpg

jtz9.jpg

I've had Kai since June of 2012, and she was about the size of a penny. Over the past year she has not only grown a bunch, but has also given me a fry! she isn't huge (yet) but the progress I've seen in her has been fantastic!

tumblr_mrebxcH9gd1rvj6gdo2_1280.jpg

These shots are from June and then August of 2012 for a comparison!

Sharkie:

46su.jpg

l3ja.jpg

oyk9.jpg

Sharkie is my big defective ranchu. She's a total food hog and is 4inches long. She also looks really pretty from above, and has grown leaps and bounds from her initial size even after spending months in the local petsmart.

Ikura:

ai35.jpg

9xuc.jpg

Ikura was also at the same store as Sharkie but for even longer (around 7months) He hasn't grown significantly in the length department but has quite a nice hump going. He's tiny and cute at around 2.75inches.

Ushi:

20g0.jpg

qtaz.jpg

sc73.jpg

qkst.jpg

Ushi is just beautiful. She has a lovely 'blue ridge' coloration and little to no pearl damage. She also has what I call a 'strong' peduncle for a tiku pearlie which helps her stay much more stable. She is 3.5 inches.

Cider:

w7nl.jpg

kz4k.jpg

Cider was really hard to catch, and has been putting all of her growth into her tail recently. She is really lovely and getting quite big since I bought her last october. She is around 4.25 inches.

Orange Peel:

gfdo.jpgxnoi.jpg

dqlc.jpg

OP was a 13cent feeder comet from petsmart and was around 1inch and 3g when I bought her. Well, she's getting huge, and beautiful! She is living proof that the value of a fish does not determine how pretty it can be if given the right environment. She is 4.5inches.

Shokin:

cvs4.jpg

ebdi.jpg

Shokin is more of less a feral fish. I won him at the store I work at before I worked there. He is the father to my fry Izoku and hes put on a lot of weight since I first bought him. He's strong and hates being out of water, so getting any pictures of him was a battle. He is somewhere in the 4inch range.

thanks for looking! :) I'll have another topic up soon for the tank crew :rofl

My ranchu is bigger than all your ranchus, so nyah! :pp

The pond is beautiful. I can't get over how much sharkie has grown--he's one of my favorites!

Edited by yafashelli

Being in relative shade or filtered light the pond rarely gets full sun. So my water is pretty clear! It was looking a little tannin-y so I did a 15%ish waterchange but because of all the rain that has been the first real maintenance water wise.

How often are you flushing your filter? If you do it once a week, water changes are minimal. I tend to get lazy about that, and with gravel medium in a container filter, I find I have to do an unpleasant full cleanout as a result.

How often are you flushing your filter? If you do it once a week, water changes are minimal. I tend to get lazy about that, and with gravel medium in a container filter, I find I have to do an unpleasant full cleanout as a result.
I did a flush out maybe 3 weeks ago? It's due for another soon but the last time it looked really good so I thought I'd give it a bit more time. Plus once fall hits I know I'll be doing them more often.

• 1 year later...

All of your fish seem so healthy and they all have really shiny scales. So beautiful. Especially Spitfire. I like your tub. Rubbermaid? I could put one of that size in my front yard. Where did you get it? How much did you pay for it? Oh Laura suggests you name your one eyed goldfish "Puka" which is Hawaiian for hole. What do you feed you gang? How hard is your water? I would LOVE to get mine to shine like that. They are all just gorgeous!

Glenn