Sign in to follow this  
Plecco

Fluval or Eheim on Goldie tank?

Posted ImageI just got a brand new eheim 2217 and wondering if I'd be better off putting this filter on my 55 gallon planted tank which has a very low bioload? I'd then put the fluval 405 that was on the planted tank onto the Goldie 55 galloner.

I tend to value low maintenance over crystal clear water. I don't use carbon on any tanks either. But this new 2217 has a lot of layers.

I'm thinking bio balls in the bottom of the 2217 for either tank.

Edited by Plecco

I don't know that it really makes that huge of a difference really. If you want low maintenance on the Eheim, I would put it on the planted tank. The Fluval will require a bit more work once you put on on the goldie tank, but not really that much more. :)

I like eheims. If you have not set it up yet don't read the direction. Check you tube instead. It's really easy but the directions are so confusing you'll just get frustrated. Congrats on the new filter!

I have the 2215 eheim. Been very pleased with it, upgraded the impellor to 2217 one, but in heindsight I should have just got the 2217 but then you live and learn.

Only annoying thing I have found is the pipes become dirty quickly and impede the flow like a blocked artery. Not sure if anyone else has found this? Good thing with the eheim is that it is round and you can make your own filter media really easily, alot of filters have complex paterns, I cut my own filter floss ones from a massive roll of pond filter floss, really really cheap way to maintain clear water.

I run the following, I think I have about 1.5 litres of the eheim substrat balls.

**TOP**

Bionitratex pouches

Filter floss

Blue foam

Eheim substrat

Blue foam

**BOTTOM**

Why give a sun sun a try? :idont They're much less than name brands, and they seem to do a pretty good job ;)

Well, perhaps, but you can also get canisters for dirt cheap sometimes. I got my Eheim Ecco for $30 at Petco and my Fluval 306 for $90 at Petsmart, both times on tips from fellow Koko's members. (Thanks, Chris and Shawn! :D)

Uh because I already bought an eheim?

I looked into sun sun and people have had trouble with the rubber gasket drying out and leaking. And everyone agrees the spray bar and intake are very cheap plastic prone to breakage.

For the extra money Id rather the comfort of knowing I won't destroy my neighbors ceiling to save 40 bucks.

Really?

Why give a sun sun a try? :idont They're much less than name brands, and they seem to do a pretty good job ;)

Well, perhaps, but you can also get canisters for dirt cheap sometimes. I got my Eheim Ecco for $30 at Petco and my Fluval 306 for $90 at Petsmart, both times on tips from fellow Koko's members. (Thanks, Chris and Shawn! :D)

Really?! :D I will look into that!

I had a fluval once and hated it. It never worked right. Had the worst time priming it. And one day the electricity went out and I was not home. It never worked again.

I love my Rena's. Have two now. They have been bought out by Filstar. But still a good filter. They self start. So when the electricity goes out around here they start up on their own.

The 30ppi foam from Swisstropicals is a nice medium to replace the fine filter pads in the Eheim. I like this stuff because it's very rugged and cleans easily. It will last for 10+ years. It's also about the best biomedia that you can find.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%20Filter%20Foam%20Pricelist.html

Yeah I won't buy a fluval again unless its the fx series. The 405 I've had for 6-7 years and replaced the impeller and impeller cover twice. The impeller cover rubber sheath tends to expand and warp. I think from heat.

Not terrible- but the eheim 2217 I got used has been totally trouble free and it was used on a salt tank for years before I took ownership. In fact the tank silicone failed years ago and the eheim is still running strong.

Uh because I already bought an eheim?

I looked into sun sun and people have had trouble with the rubber gasket drying out and leaking. And everyone agrees the spray bar and intake are very cheap plastic prone to breakage.

For the extra money Id rather the comfort of knowing I won't destroy my neighbors ceiling to save 40 bucks.

This! I had a sun sun / aquatop and the spray bar cracked during installation. Then the whole unit died within a year. I would rather spend a couple extra bucks to not have to replace the entire canister every year.

I just bought some generic eheim filter pads on ebay for cheap! Not that you replace them often but I find it hard to really get the gunk out of the "polishing pad." I just replace it every 5 months and just rinse everything else out. I agree with Kahn, I have just bought fluval rectangles and cut them to fit since the classics do not have a strange shape. This saves me money and allows me to buy fancy fish food instead!!! I stack like this:

Top:

Lattice screen

Purigen packet

Polishing pad

Bioballs (I have the eheim in one and Matrix in another)

the lattice screen

Fluval prefilter bits

Lattice screen

Fish poop

Bottom

Eheim has a "pre filter" device that sits on the bottom of the tank instead of using the normal intake piece. I think it will collect water from the very bottom of my tank and I may get this in the future for just one of my eheims to see if it gets the little bits of the bottom of my tank better that the normal intakes. I think they are about 17 bucks on fosters and smith site. I also don't use the spray bar, I just run the tube right in to the tank since I have tons of air stones for aeration.

Keep us posted on what you do!

I have had a Fluval for 10 months now and I love it. Haven't had any issues with it so far. I replaced the carbon with more bio balls, otherwise it has cost me no $$ so far.

I have never owned an Eheim, so I cannot compare the 2.