Thick pectoral and Age question

SynthHermit

Hello hello! I've recently trying to figure out if my two goldies are male or female, and have run into a bit of a roadblock.

The pinned articles are super helpful in telling what to look for, but I keep seeing conflicting things on mine.

Maybe they're too young to be able to tell?

Which brings about my questions:

Can you tell the age of a goldie based on how big they are? Both of mine came from a pet store so I don't know when they hatched. From nose to base of tail, Glitch is about 1.5" and Picasso is about 1".

At roughly what age do the thickened pectorals become apparent on males?

I really wish I could see their vents, I bet it would make things so much easier.

I think 1.5'' and 1'' is way to small for breeding characteristics to appear. Just keep feeding them 3-4 times a day, do 1-2 weekly water changes and they will grow like crazy if given good food (assuming they are in an appropriate size tank). As they get larger you should be able to see breeding characteristics.

Thank you. I had a feeling they were too small. I guess I'm just way to eager to find out if I have a male/female pair on my hands xD

They're getting fed Omega One/NLS small pellets twice a day.They're in a 10GQT currently, but will be moving into a 29G afterwards.

You can't determine goldfish age from size b/c they all grow at different rates. When goldfish are ready to breed (3 or 4+inches in size I think), they will show the stars. Temperature will trigger the stars as well. My little guys were only 1.5" total when Spring came and the temp rose. They all sprouted very few and very little tubercles on their pectorals and face. It was adorable lol. I think it also helped b/c they were also in the presence of a spawning female. I'm sure time will tell for your guys :)

Oh and it might be hard to notice unless you look very carefully. I actually only noticed the stars on my fish through zooming in on pictures :teehee

[quote name="SynthHermit" post="1554277" timestamp=

Maybe they're too young to be able to tell?

From nose to base of tail, Glitch is about 1.5" and Picasso is about 1".

At roughly what age do the thickened pectorals become apparent on males?

I really wish I could see their vents, I bet it would make things so much easier.